Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There's a sarcasm smiley in there somewhere....

You notice you didn't get an answer from any stat people?

Quick doesn't really fit nicely in that sv% box. His career numbers are quite average...but you'd be hard pressed to argue he is not one of the best goaltenders in the league...so you didn't get an answer.

Fact is what Quick did in the regular season any goalie could do...kind of funny that both his backups had significantly better sv% than he did.

The reason LA could use 3 goalies this season and all of them get positive results is A. The results are because of the team and B. Goalies aren't different from one another and that is why they are irrelevant.

Edit: (playoff time is different)

Last edited:

Pegi90*

Mar 3, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
You notice you didn't get an answer from any stat people?

Quick doesn't really fit nicely in that sv% box. His career numbers are quite average...but you'd be hard pressed to argue he is not one of the best goaltenders in the league...so you didn't get an answer.

Fact is what Quick did in the regular season any goalie could do...kind of funny that both his backups had significantly better sv% than he did.

The reason LA could use 3 goalies this season and all of them get positive results is A. The results are because of the team and B. Goalies aren't different from one another and that is why they are irrelevant.

Edit: (playoff time is different)
quick's save % is low as that just because the low amount of shots he faces.

brodeur career save % is 91.2 just because the same reason above.

please, don't use the save % for determining the goalies, it doesn't get further from the truth than that.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
quick's save % is low as that just because the low amount of shots he faces.

brodeur career save % is 91.2 just because the same reason above.

please, don't use the save % for determining the goalies, it doesn't get further from the truth than that.

Please, tell us more about how fired up Brodeur got for rivalry games that caused his save % against non-playoff teams to be a complete dumpster fire.

GhostofKenKlee

Yep, Marty is a systems goalie like his bashers have prove all along. Why didn't Lou just sign Clemmer to post similar stats and save money for Stamkos in a few seasons?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Goaltenders are probably at best, 1/3rd responsible for a win or loss.

That's not to say they are irrelevant, any more so than your forward group and d-corps.

Seems fairly obvious but I guess not to some.

Pegi90*

Mar 3, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Please, tell us more about how fired up Brodeur got for rivalry games that caused his save % against non-playoff teams to be a complete dumpster fire.

well there's reason brodeur played alot better against the playoff teams and the reason i can think of is that he got more fired up against the "top" teams and rivalries.

he played pretty decent hockey agains the pens, rangers, flyers etc, only that outdoor game stands out where he had a bad game

against flyers for example, was it 3 or 4 games with 95% and 1.25 gga.

GhostofKenKlee

I hate to bag on Marty but the Yankees game sticks out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Brodeur's career save percentage is a 912 because he's ****ing sucked for 3 of the last 4 seasons, with save percentages of 903 or lower.

Prior to 2010-2011, Marty's career save percentage was 914. 912 is still not bad for the time period that he played. Patrick Roy is 910 for his career.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Or how save percentage is a garbage stat and reflects purely on how many shots you face...only it doesn't matter when you mention that Marty faced a higher amount of shots/60 mins this season than Cory did... AND STILL HAD A LOWER SV% :amazed:

It's because he got pumped when it mattered! :sarcasm:

Pegi90*

Mar 3, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Goaltenders are probably at best, 1/3rd responsible for a win or loss.

That's not to say they are irrelevant, any more so than your forward group and d-corps.

Seems fairly obvious but I guess not to some.

in brodeurs case, it's little different considering the fact how our system was build around his ability to handle the puck.

20 years or 40 years old, only thing he does is win.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
well there's reason brodeur played alot better against the playoff teams and the reason i can think of is that he got more fired up against the "top" teams and rivalries.

he played pretty decent hockey agains the pens, rangers, flyers etc, only that outdoor game stands out where he had a bad game

against flyers for example, was it 3 or 4 games with 95% and 1.25 gga.

Yeah yeah yeah "there's a reason for everything", so that must be it!

You manage to form an argument using neither the eye test nor statistics in your analysis. That's pretty impressive.

Pegi90*

Mar 3, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Brodeur's career save percentage is a 912 because he's ****ing sucked for 3 of the last 4 seasons, with save percentages of 903 or lower.

Prior to 2010-2011, Marty's career save percentage was 914. 912 is still not bad for the time period that he played. Patrick Roy is 910 for his career.

don't look the save %, look the gga.

now tell me, how much lower gga a goaltender can have after 1259 games than 2.24?

lundqvist gga is 2.26 after something like 500 games, there's some perspective to you.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate to bag on Marty but the Yankees game sticks out.

That's one game I'd give him a mulligan for, just like I give Cory a pass for that 7 goal against game in Detroit. Most of the goals Marty allowed in that game weren't bad.

There are a lot of games that I wouldn't give him a pass for though. There were quite a few outings where he gave up a bad goal (or two) and it decided the game and cost us a point or even two. Like a game against Phoenix in which he sunk us with two softies in the 1st and we lost 3-2. Or games against Ottawa and CBJ in which he gave up as many as 3 horrible goals in one game.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Why is Brodeur still a topic around here? Hes no longer a member of this organization. Why is it so ****ing hard for a couple people to move on from him? Jesus Christ, just let him go already. I'm tired of all the god awful and cherrypicking arguments about him and his so called ability to win over the last few years. The guy is below average and that's why hes going to go all summer without a contract and has to wait for someone to get hurt in order to find work. Sorry that the truth hurts. A few of you need to accept it move on with your life.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Peigi, somehow assuming that your logic about Marty getting "fired up" is correct...in the regular season, you don't get extra credit for playing better against good teams if you **** the bed against bad teams. There's no more points dolled out for a win against than Penguins than the Hurricanes.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
in brodeurs case, it's little different considering the fact how our system was build around his ability to handle the puck.

20 years or 40 years old, only thing he does is win.

He won one more game than Schneider since the Florida game really was Cory's victory. Yup, Marty was a winning machine this season!

Pegi90*

Mar 3, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Peigi, somehow assuming that your logic about Marty getting "fired up" is correct...in the regular season, you don't get extra credit for playing better against good teams if you **** the bed against bad teams. There's no more points dolled out for a win against than Penguins than the Hurricanes.

yes of course not, im not denying it.

marty's stats were what they were but he beat cory at anything else but non-playoff team save % and gaa.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why is Brodeur still a topic around here? Hes no longer a member of this organization. Why is it so ****ing hard for a couple people to move on from him? Jesus Christ, just let him go already. I'm tired of all the god awful and cherrypicking arguments about him and his so called ability to win over the last few years. The guy is below average and that's why hes going to go all summer without a contract and has to wait for someone to get hurt in order to find work. Sorry that the truth hurts. A few of you need to accept it move on with your life.

I'm starting to think he won't get a contract anywhere.

Part of me is still skeptical that he ever really wanted to actually play anywhere else. Then the other part of me thinks that he does, but that he priced himself out of the market. Pretty much all the teams I saw him going to, have already signed other guys.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm starting to think he won't get a contract anywhere.

Part of me is still skeptical that he ever really wanted to actually play anywhere else. Then the other part of me thinks that he does, but that he priced himself out of the market. Pretty much all the teams I saw him going to, have already signed other guys.

For all intents and purposes, hes retired. There is no upside for a team to bring him in, unless someone gets hurt in October and even then someone's backup could probably come in and put up the same kinds of numbers that Brodeur did the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad