Speculation: Devils Send Stefan Matteau back to The QMJHL

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
There was no reason to keep him this long if he was just going to be used as a 4th liner/healthy scratch.

I feel like we really botched this one.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
QMJHL playoffs start within a week.

Sabres did same thing with Grigorenko.

I liked Matteau and think he's a serviceable fourth liner, but I'd rather them play someone with no promise like Sestito who can do the same job Matteau does without the possibility of stunting his development.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Hallelujah.

I know I shouldn`t be the one asking, but does anybody know if we burned one year of his ELC? Grigorenko was sent down this week too and somebody mentioned the new CBA might have changed the rule somehow.

Thanks.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Josefson didn't play last night and didn't play today in Albany's 3 o'clock game.

I'm guessing Matteau moving back is opening up a spot for JJ, as the only other guy who can be sent down is Pesonen.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Hallelujah.

I know I shouldn`t be the one asking, but does anybody know if we burned one year of his ELC? Grigorenko was sent down this week too and somebody mentioned the new CBA might have changed the rule somehow.

Thanks.

It definitely burns an ELC year, that was the hangup around 5 games. I don't think this season starts his free agent clock though.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Josefson didn't play last night and didn't play today in Albany's 3 o'clock game.

I'm guessing Matteau moving back is opening up a spot for JJ, as the only other guy who can be sent down is Pesonen.

Well if you know Lou, he doesn't hold players out for call ups. Likely nursing a injury than anything else.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Stop calling Jacob ****ing Josefson back up. He's not a 4th liner and until Elias or someone is gone he won't get a legit top 6 role. His defensive play has sucked.

Call up Matt Anderson

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It definitely burns an ELC year, that was the hangup around 5 games. I don't think this season starts his free agent clock though.

Apparently the threshold this year was 23 games (41 in a normal season). Burns an ELC year but Matteau probably won't be a guy who'll be looking for a Ryan O'Reilly 2nd contract either.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Stop calling Jacob ****ing Josefson back up. He's not a 4th liner and until Elias or someone is gone he won't get a legit top 6 role. His defensive play has sucked.

Call up Matt Anderson

And play Anderson where?

Over Kovalchuk, Clarkson, Bernier, or Jesse?

It's debatable whether he or Jesse is better, to the point where he isn't needed. We need either a center or a LW. Josefson and Whitney (although he is lacking a contract, but that's easy to do) are the only two guys left. Devils are at max contracts too if my counting is right, so they may be signing Whitney if they aren't calling up JJ, or making a trade.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
And play Anderson where?

Over Kovalchuk, Clarkson, Bernier, or Jesse?

It's debatable whether he or Jesse is better, to the point where he isn't needed. We need either a center or a LW. Josefson and Whitney (although he is lacking a contract, but that's easy to do) are the only two guys left.

To be honest, it will not shock me if its Janssen just for the Rangers :help:

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Apparently the threshold this year was 23 games (41 in a normal season). Burns an ELC year but Matteau probably won't be a guy who'll be looking for a Ryan O'Reilly 2nd contract either.
Poor choice of words by me. This is exactly what I meant. Thank you guys.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Anthony Stella ‏@AnthonyStelll
Stefan Matteau back in the #QMJHL GREAT! news for the #Armada . Saw this one coming with David Conte at the games last weekend.

Interesting.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

They'd just send Frazee down, they don't need to send Matteau down for that. They might for Zubrus but I doubt he's ready yet.

I think they just came to the realization he hasn't played for a while and they want him to get some big game experience in the QMJHL playoffs and prevent him from accruing a year towards UFA.

I do think Janssen's coming up for the Rangers lol

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
They'd just send Frazee down, they don't need to send Matteau down for that. They might for Zubrus but I doubt he's ready yet.

I think they just came to the realization he hasn't played for a while and they want him to get some big game experience in the QMJHL playoffs and prevent him from accruing a year towards UFA.

I do think Janssen's coming up for the Rangers lol

Maybe their afraid Marty will "tweak" it again and want a backup incase? I have no idea at this point.

Money is on Josefson, Janssen, or Tallinder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad