Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Peter Harrold

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nice. I think Volchenkov could be traded back to Ottawa. Even if the return is subpar. And Tallinder, he has value. Just might be hard to find a team with cap willing to take him. I think we should be kicking every tire before we flirt with the buyout option.

We aren't getting rid of them both (or all three including Sal like some suggested).

Might get rid of one of Tally/Volch if we are lucky and then see if Zids walks.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
If we move Tallinder or Volch I think it will be once camp gets underway and hopefully some injuries come into play and teams are willing to take one. Especially Tallinder since he only has a yr left.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Guessing bye bye Zid

Based on this? One is a legit first pairing offensive d-man who the Devils have nothing like. The other is Peter Harrold. This doesn't say anything to me about Zidlicky's status. He, Clarkson, and Elias are the ones who are going to be getting paid the most and its no surprise that they are the last ones "left" to re-sign (not counting Henrique). Harrold is cheap and plays his role and doesn't expect more. He's a classic 7th defender.

Zidlicky returning would surprise me far less than Clarkson returning would.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
the way I see it...this has nothing to do with the kids getting a shot at the nhl. harrold is here as the #7 guy and can be a spot starter here and there and can play a little 4th line forward. none of the rookies should be competing with him because they should not get stuck as the #7 guy if they are up here. Tallinder, Volch, Zids, Salvo (to a lesser extent) are the guys who are in the way of the likes of Merrill, Urbom, and Gelinas getting a shot.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
which is a damn disaster in of itself.

Lou loads up on these D prospects but doesn't give them time in the league and doesn't flip em. This depth of assets are going to be a pile of burdened young players with another year of this.

I don't like the second year, but at 800K it's not a terrible burden to have in the AHL if he's not part of the NHL club. Rob Davison quietly made 500K while playing in Albany in 2010-11.

NHL: Greene, Larsson, Tallinder, Fayne, Salvador, Volchenkov, Harrold
AHL: Gelinas, Urbom, Merrill, Burlon, Helgeson, Scarlett

Gelinas playing another season in the AHL and shoring up his D isn't the worst idea. I'd love to see Merrill play a full pro season in a lower pressure environment and maybe hit the ground running for the big club in 2014-15.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Zidlicky, but we'd probably have to deal Tallinder. I think Chere already noted that ownership doesn't have the desire/dollars to buy out Volchenkov.

Maybe we could deal Tallinder to somebody for a pick. It might resemble when we traded Jeff Friesen out of the lockout. We got a 3rd for him from Washington who eventually got a 2nd for him at that deadline.

How would you guys feel about Tallinder for Ryan Malone? Malone has an inflated cap hit, but only makes 2.5 per season for the next two years. Malone would keep that 3rd line LW spot warm while Matteau gets some development time in the AHL.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
This is a great signing, he's well liked in the locker room and happy to play on an infrequent basis whenever someone needs a rest or gets hurt. He's a versatile veteran guy who can actually play respectable defence, there's no reason to dislike this move. As Basement Cat said, the kids aren't competing with Harrold for spots.

I still think one of Volchenkov or Salvador is on the way out though, not sure in which fashion that's going to be yet though. They make each other completely redundant, i think Lou realizes this now.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Very good. Perfect #7. Also was a teammate of Schneider's when Cory was a freshman so hopefully that helps ease Cory's transition to New Jersey.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
last year, guy made what $550K...2 years ago he was on a two way contract......I just don't see him being worth a 2 year, 1 way deal for 1.6 million. Especially not when we have other Dmen that are going to need a spot. I don't want Harrold taking up a roster spot. To me, this signing all but guarantees Urbom has absolutely no shot at a spot this year or perhaps even next. Gelinas should get a spot unless we re-sign Zidlicky.

Tallinder or Volchenkov have to go, tat much is certain!

I am sure that Harrold is great in the locker room, but he is in the way of an Urbom or Gelinas being slowly worked into the lineup. He had one of the worst/plus minuses on the team last year at -8 and I vividly remember him getting beat for some big goals against. 800 grand is a nice raise from 550.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I am sure that Harrold is great in the locker room, but he is in the way of an Urbom or Gelinas being slowly worked into the lineup. He had one of the worst/plus minuses on the team last year at -8 and I vividly remember him getting beat for some big goals against. 800 grand is a nice raise from 550.
He's not really. Urbom and Gelinas will get worked into the lineup being a #6, not being the guy who is the regular healthy scratch. Harrold is a much better regular healthy scratch than the young kids who should be playing every night, either in the AHL or the NHL.

apice3*

Harrold's signing or walking has/had literally no bearing on the future of any of our 7 other D-men.

Those guys are competing for an everyday role. Harrold was really the only player shooting for the #7 reserve role. He's not taking a spot away from a kid. You don't want a kid riding the bench all season and stepping in in certain spots. Rather have the kid play in Albany.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
This is a great signing, he's well liked in the locker room and happy to play on an infrequent basis whenever someone needs a rest or gets hurt. He's a versatile veteran guy who can actually play respectable defence, there's no reason to dislike this move. As Basement Cat said, the kids aren't competing with Harrold for spots.

I still think one of Volchenkov or Salvador is on the way out though, not sure in which fashion that's going to be yet though. They make each other completely redundant, i think Lou realizes this now.

Volchenkov has a no trade clause and is Kovy's buddy while Salvador is our exalted captain. Both of these players regretfully will be in the opening day lineup.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm actually surprised he keeps coming back instead of trying to get a starting role elsewhere.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
Gelinas/Urbom are 22/23 years old with 2/3 years in Albany. They're hardly rotting away. And while they've been promising players, it's up to them to demand their spot with their play, not earn it on the job in the NHL. If they show up to camp and make it impossible to get cut, they'll get their chance.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I don't like the second year, but at 800K it's not a terrible burden to have in the AHL if he's not part of the NHL club. Rob Davison quietly made 500K while playing in Albany in 2010-11.

NHL: Greene, Larsson, Tallinder, Fayne, Salvador, Volchenkov, Harrold
AHL: Gelinas, Urbom, Merrill, Burlon, Helgeson, Scarlett

Gelinas playing another season in the AHL and shoring up his D isn't the worst idea. I'd love to see Merrill play a full pro season in a lower pressure environment and maybe hit the ground running for the big club in 2014-15.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Zidlicky, but we'd probably have to deal Tallinder. I think Chere already noted that ownership doesn't have the desire/dollars to buy out Volchenkov.

Maybe we could deal Tallinder to somebody for a pick. It might resemble when we traded Jeff Friesen out of the lockout. We got a 3rd for him from Washington who eventually got a 2nd for him at that deadline.

How would you guys feel about Tallinder for Ryan Malone? Malone has an inflated cap hit, but only makes 2.5 per season for the next two years. Malone would keep that 3rd line LW spot warm while Matteau gets some development time in the AHL.

As long as Stevey Y keeps the 2nd he said he would attach to ryan malone. More interested in that pick honestly.

If we can't land anyone of note during UFA, I would be ok with Malone on our 3rd line. He's due for an injury every year so that will give Matteau his cup of tea to transition up. Could be worst, that extra pick is what sells this turkey though.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
No, Lou will go against expectations and trade Greene and Tallinder for a good RW and 2nd round pick and re-sign Zids, and buyout Salvador or something crazy like that.

Brace yourself.

Trading Greene would be beyond Pejorative Slured unless your getting a damn good top 6 player back. Put him in a package with Boucher for a signed Ryan or Vanek and that would be gravy. That's some real outside the box **** right there.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
No, Lou will go against expectations and trade Greene and Tallinder for a good RW and 2nd round pick and re-sign Zids, and buyout Salvador or something crazy like that.

Brace yourself.

Greene's not going anywhere. He's the best defenseman on the team, can play in any situation (Even, PK, PP) + has a VERY tolerable cap hit for what he provides. Fayne and Tallinder are the most likely trade bait. They're not going to buy out Sal either, even if the majority of us would like to see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad