GDT: Devils @ Lighting 7PM MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
I still think if that wasn't offsides they tie it anyway.

I think that's the best way to put it. It was a tie... and the call on the ice was a goal. Ugh whatever. I guess i'm happy with a point. They earned more in that 3rd.

EDIT: Misread - you said they would tie it anyway.

I think the best way to assess that play was that it was a 'tie" - Tampa guy brought it back in - devil dude (Nemec?) poked at the puck at the same time. I call that a tie.

I agree with you though - that was early in the 3rd and I kind of thought the same thing.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
3 pts back of 3rd in Metro and 1st WC with two games in hand

2 pts back of 2nd WC with four games in hand

Tied with Pens with one game in hand

1 pt ahead Detroit with two games in hand

1 pt ahead Caps

Devils need to keep clawing out points like they did tonight. Weather this January storm and come back healthier in February

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
3 pts back of 3rd in Metro and 1st WC with two games in hand

2 pts back of 2nd WC with four games in hand

Tied with Pens with one game in hand

1 pt ahead Detroit with two games in hand

1 pt ahead Caps

Devils need to keep clawing out points like they did tonight. Weather this January storm and come back healthier in February

It's funny how some of these teams are having absurdly overachieving years and we're just sitting at the bubble after a bunch of tomfoolery.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
I might end up being surprised, but with the current goaltending market, I think we'd get f***ed for even mid guys.
The fallacy is that anything is changing in the summer.

The fact of the matter is the goaltending market ain't getting any less tight in the summer, and Fitz will be overpaying now or later.

So do it now.

Reactions: Killing Joke

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
Friedman likes to pull out the old quote, “When you need a life vest, other GMs toss you an anchor.” Or something like that.

I think this is mostly what’s going on. I expect a move when prices come down if that’s in a few weeks or right at the deadline.

It is just wild that they’re still in it. This league is currently putrid and kinda dumb, despite the scoring.
IMO that's just poor management.

Fitz was foolish for heading into this season with such a shaky and unproven goalie tandem when he knew he was losing two solid vets on the blue line.

He may not have liked the prices in the summer, but they were undoubtedly better than they are now.

He is responsible for his utter lack of leverage.

Reactions: Killing Joke

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
Ullmark could be available in the summer.

Looks like he’s out a while now injured though.
With one year left on his deal at a 5MM cap hit. Doesn't solve the problem long term and eats cap. Retention, if any, pushes up the price.

Not saying don't do it if they think he's the answer/

Just that Fitz will be over the same barrel in the summer that he is now.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
It's because unlike you I can analyze the game and not be biased. You seem to show some sort of depth of understanding goaltending but I can tell you lack clear knowledge of a good goalie. You'd probably think Brodeur was overrated.

Unlike you, I'm unbiased. I see things how they are. My opinion changes based on how players play. I've realized that a guy like Lindy Ruff who has been unsuccessful his whole career is not somehow leading a defensive revolution late in his career.
This post was lifted from The Onion, right?

P.S. -- Anyone who feels compelled to claim they are unbiased is definitely biased.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would rather do a Vanecek/Vejmelka swap than one that involved Gibson.

I think both have one year left after this or does Vejmelka have two more left? His cap hit is also lower than Vitek’s.

But once again though, just play one of the kids more and let’s see what we have in them. We know what we have with Vitek and it hasn’t gotten any better.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I would rather do a Vanecek/Vejmelka swap than one that involved Gibson.

I think both have one year left after this or does Vejmelka have two more left? His cap hit is also lower than Vitek’s.

But once again though, just play one of the kids more and let’s see what we have in them. We know what we have with Vitek and it hasn’t gotten any better.
Vejmelka has one more year. I thought he was ufa. 2.725 per year

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With one year left on his deal at a 5MM cap hit. Doesn't solve the problem long term and eats cap. Retention, if any, pushes up the price.

Not saying don't do it if they think he's the answer/

Just that Fitz will be over the same barrel in the summer that he is now.
I don’t think we’ll need to retain, just dump Vitek somewhere. It won’t be to Boston, because if they got rid of Ullmark it would purely be because they’re looking to shed cap.

If Cal Petersen at $5 million at multiple years can be dumped then so can Vitek with one more year at $3.4 million.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Lightning fan coming in peace. I was really disappointed about Palat not being in the lineup. How has he been for you guys when he's been healthy? He's always been one of my favorite players and I really hated to miss watching him compete tonight.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Lightning fan coming in peace. I was really disappointed about Palat not being in the lineup. How has he been for you guys when he's been healthy. He's always been one of my favorite players and I really hated to miss watching him compete tonight.

Injured to no end last year. Came back and was a monster in the playoffs and had the GW play in game 7 vs the Rags, sound familiar? He was actually pretty good this year to start off and then got hurt. He's been a hot topic ever since he signed here, I've been on record saying the signing was shitty and a knee-jerk reaction to lose Gaudreau to CBJ earlier in the day. But I'll give him credit if we can get 2-3 years out of the deal of decent production + the animal he is in the playoffs which he's on his way to do. With the cap going up, he'll be easy to get off if the contract becomes a massive issue to their contendership.

His goals save above expected is really good from what I remember.

Top 10, I think he's at 9. I just saw a bit earlier lol

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Injured to no end last year. Came back and was a monster in the playoffs and had the GW play in game 7 vs the Rags, sound familiar? He was actually pretty good this year to start off and then got hurt. He's been a hot topic ever since he signed here, I've been on record saying the signing was shitty and a knee-jerk reaction to lose Gaudreau to CBJ earlier in the day. But I'll give him credit if we can get 2-3 years out of the deal of decent production + the animal he is in the playoffs which he's on his way to do. With the cap going up, he'll be easy to get off if the contract becomes a massive issue to their contendership.

Top 10, I think he's at 9. I just saw a bit earlier lol
Thanks for the thoughtful reply,

Palat in playoff mode is one of the best defensive forwards I've ever seen. He pretty much trained Cirelli. It really sucks he didn't get to skate in Tampa tonight.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think we’ll need to retain, just dump Vitek somewhere. It won’t be to Boston, because if they got rid of Ullmark it would purely be because they’re looking to shed cap.

If Cal Petersen at $5 million at multiple years can be dumped then so can Vitek with one more year at $3.4 million.

LA retained 2 years/2.025m on Provorov in the deal, instead of Philly.
And they gave up
LAK 2024 2nd
Helge Grans (2020 2nd Rd #35)
Sean Walker (who’s a UFA but could get Philly a very nice return at the TDL)

Not saying we can’t dump him, probably with some salary retained, but the Petersen deal isn’t exactly reassuring. It’s way harder to dump a player with term though.

Suck it, Toronto! We’re #1!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad