GDT: Devils @ Leafs - 7:30 PM - ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Lol what. How does not shooting one timers have to do anything with being on the PP ???

We all wanted Meier on the top PP because it was painfully obvious we needed a big body winger in front of the net. That same guy then could help puck retrievals down low using his big body.

Meier was misused all year long, not to mention hurt. None of it is on him lol.

Yeah, I don't know why the team didn't want to put the clearly injured guy in front of the net. Guess they were just flat out f***ing it up.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

IMG_8153.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is avoiding the obvious fact that Toffoli is absurdly slow in general. If you lose puck battles on a powerplay which lack of foot speed contributes to then you're going to have a relatively shit powerplay. Toffoli is an elite finisher but besides that it was evident that he was beyond cooked in the 5v4 situation.
I'm not sure I ignored it, but you are right that Toffoli's foot speed really hinders his effectiveness. I've been big on that all year, and was all for trading, and not resigning him because of that.

while funny once....i could never listen to this broadcast for every game
Same, especially since I don't understand what he is saying.

Reactions: njdevils1982

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm not sure I ignored it, but you are right that Toffoli's foot speed really hinders his effectiveness. I've been big on that all year, and was all for trading, and not resigning him because of that.

What I meant by ignore is more so just like a small thing goes by hockey watchers, there's things I miss in plain sight. :laugh: Didn't mean it as an insult it come off that way so my apologies, but yes, Toffoli is even catching some ire from Jets fans now too in that regard. Toffoli is great but he's basically been a finisher this year as opposed to how he was in 22-23. It was always a question to wonder how his foot speed would translate with a team that loved being speed merchants in 22-23.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What I meant by ignore is more so just like a small thing goes by hockey watchers, there's things I miss in plain sight. :laugh: Didn't mean it as an insult it come off that way so my apologies, but yes, Toffoli is even catching some ire from Jets fans now too in that regard. Toffoli is great but he's basically been a finisher this year as opposed to how he was in 22-23. It was always a question to wonder how his foot speed would translate with a team that loved being speed merchants in 22-23.
I didn’t take it as an insult so no sweat.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The power play doesn't look better, though. They are scoring more goals, and people can't tell the difference between that and a power play that looks bad. That's pretty much it, full stop. They are getting far fewer shots. In the game where they scored 3 power play goals, notice that they were basically winning all of the faceoffs. That's not sustainable. The zone entry still needs work and they're getting the shots to go in.

Meier looked like hot trash up until March 1, I do not understand why there is not a reckoning with the reality of Timo Meier's season. Meier couldn't shoot a one-timer at all, how is he going to be on PP1?

The point about faceoffs ties in with Toffoli as well, the entire point of lost possessions on small stupid shit is vital to the efficacy of a powerplay. If you're losing powerplay time because you can't get set up in any manner or have to continue to zone entry for the entire 2 mins then yeah, chances are your powerplay is going to be next level garbage. I like Toffoli, and I do agree with Devils had no other option for the most part with hurt Timo but that's kinda of the entire point with this New Jersey team that there were no better options in situations where those were needed such as goaltending, powerplay or just in general lineup. There was a point where Luke wouldn't even bother shooting and teams would just swarm Jack's with his bum shoulder and it led to a catastrophe on the man advantage because he couldn't make a play. We'll see a positive regression to the mean with Dougie back there next year, fingers crossed with a person who can legit handle with powerplay duties as a coach

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We'll see a positive regression to the mean with Dougie back there next year, fingers crossed with a person who can legit handle with powerplay duties as a coach
I imagine Luke stays on PP1 next year.

But at least with Hamilton back there will be a viable option in case the PP struggles.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad