GDT: Devils @ Islanders - 5:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

We could’ve used this months ago. Such a frustrating year.

On trade deadline day we were 31-28-4 for a .524 P% after 63 games

With 8 starts from Allen(3-2) and Kähkönen (1-2). we're 4 wins and 4 losses since..... .500 P%.

It's a cool "what if" narrative though.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Let’s see if I can get this posted up before the site goes down again Challenge!

View attachment 841143View attachment 841144View attachment 841145View attachment 841146

Our hero of the night, Kaapo Kahkonen, here with his son who got to suit up and a skate with him.

View attachment 841147

I kid, that’s Poulter.
View attachment 841148

Timo: I will destroy any North American swine who harm you.
View attachment 841149

A happy Alex Goaltz!
View attachment 841150

Nemec <3

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
On trade deadline day we were 31-28-4 for a .524 P% after 63 games

With 8 starts from Allen(3-2) and Kähkönen (1-2). we're 4 wins and 4 losses since..... .500 P%.

It's a cool "what if" narrative though.
I don't understand "your" narrative. Why are you comparing a sample size of 63 games with 8? It's clear the Devils would have had more points without bottom goaltending in those 63 games prior to the deadline

Reactions: Clam Jensen

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't understand "your" narrative. Why are you comparing a sample size of 63 games with 8? It's clear the Devils would have had more points without bottom goaltending in those 63 games prior to the deadline
How is it "clear"? They're literally winning about the same exact rate with new goaltending as they were with old goaltending.

Actually they're a little worse with the new goaltending but I'm not going quibble over 2 &1/2 percent in 8 games.

Both of the new goaltenders are the beneficiary of tighter play that began before they got here...

In fact Vitek's last 7 games here he went 3-2-1 with a .915 Sv% (it's 6 games he came in for relief duty against Carolina played 34 minutes and let up no goals)

Allen has been 3-2 .923 in the 5 games since Vitek was shipped out... it is barely different

Then finally ask yourself why couldn't Allen (.892) and Kahkonen(.875) provide "average goaltending" to the teams they came from? Hmmm, tough one? But those numbers look just like ours through the 63 games

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Didn't watch today. Kahkonen posted a 4.09 GSAx tonight. Isles with 61% xGF% at all strengths. Another undeserved win or what? Looks like it was a bad 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Camille the Eel

Hell of a showing tonight, especially that second period. Kahkonen was excellent, happy for him to grab the win and shutout.

Hope Nico is alright, I know he came back but I didn’t see him out for many shifts unless I was distracted and didn’t notice lol. (looks like I was wrong, seems like he took plenty of shifts in the third).
This team has me scratching my head. How can we have looked this good today after looking like such complete dog shit last night?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
What did you eat? What did they offer?

The food there is really good from the times I've been there as well, I usually get the chicken over rice platter that this halal stand has or they have this chicken sandwich there that's really good, I'm not that big of a chicken eater as it sounds in the post :laugh:

Reactions: Camille the Eel

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Didn't watch today. Kahkonen posted a 4.09 GSAx tonight. Isles with 61% xGF% at all strengths. Another undeserved win or what? Looks like it was a bad 1st.
Isles with a good 1st. Devils killed them in the 2nd, I mean absolutely killed them. Then Devils held back in the 3rd and secured the win. 100% not undeserved. They did what they had to do and then it was great getting a good goalie performance. Exactly the kind of win you want on a B2B with a shorter rest than the opponent.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I just watched the breakaway they gave up on the 5 on 3 to Adam f***ing Pelech, Luke thinks Bratt is gonna get back in time and just casually skated back until he saw Bratt wouldn't and then HUSTLES and almost catches Pelech himself. It's not the end of the world because Kahkonen made the save, but you 100% need to coach those things into Luke. He had a pretty good game I thought and he's been stellar this recent stretch so it's something you casually bring up in convo if you're a coach

It was an evenly played gm. Special teams and goaltending was the difference. Devils held back in 3rd as well to protect lead. I saw, Isles won first period, Devils killed them in the 2nd, I mean absolutely killed them. Then secured the win in the 3rd

I would say bad first but then they got their legs and rail roaded the Isles in the 2nd. The Isles can't skate with the Devils if they get a lead, second goal was proof of that to a tee. Jack making 2 Isles collide and scoring was the highlight of the year imo

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I just watched the breakaway they gave up on the 5 on 3 to Adam f***ing Pelech, Luke thinks Bratt is gonna get back in time and just casually skated back until he saw Bratt wouldn't and then HUSTLES and almost catches Pelech himself. It's not the end of the world because Kahkonen made the save, but you 100% need to coach those things into Luke. He had a pretty good game I thought and he's been stellar this recent stretch so it's something you casually bring up in convo if you're a coach

I would say bad first but then they got their legs and rail roaded the Isles in the 2nd. The Isles can't skate with the Devils if they get a lead, second goal was proof of that to a tee. Jack making 2 Isles collide and scoring was the highlight of the year imo
I think Bratt was the one making 3 isles collide then passed it to Jack for the 2 on 1

On a side note, that music the arena plays when the opponents score there slaps

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think Bratt was the one making 3 isles collide then passed it to Jack for the 2 on 1

On a side note, that music the arena plays when the opponents score there slaps

Oh shit, it was Bratt lmao. Shows how much I paid attention to today.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Nico got knocked out of the 2nd period by a knee on knee hit from Lee.

Nico played in the 3rd but that affected him. Meier got an Instigator and Misconduct for retaliating against Lee and played 1:22 in the 3rd.

We were already going with 11/7 so that didn’t help.

The Islanders blocked a lot of shots the 1st period, it’s helps that we’re a perimeter team these days. And the Hughes/Haula/Holtz line sucks at possession.

Blocked Shots
Total - 24 NYI 15 NJD
1st - 11 NYI 4 NJD
2nd - 7 NYI 5 NJD
3rd - 6 NYI 6 NJD

All the charts anyone could ever want.

IMG_5574.jpeg
IMG_5582.jpeg
IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5578.jpeg

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

IMG_5573.jpeg
IMG_5587.jpeg

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg
IMG_5589.jpeg

IMG_5588.jpeg

IMG_5576.jpeg
IMG_5577.jpeg
IMG_5591.jpeg
IMG_5590.jpeg

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Welcome to the 2022-23 Devils where the only consistency is playing down to bad team after bad team
yeah it’s not head scratching when you realize it’s just immaturity/arrogance when they can’t get up for “bad” teams because they don’t realize beating any team in the nhl requires real effort

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Some ugliness, but overall the passing was light years better than Ottawa game. They looked much more like the Winnepeg game.

Still our turnovers are silly and when we get running around at the end of a shift it looks scary. Isles missed some open nets. Kahkonnen was good when he had to be but overall it was a much much better effort, IMHO.

Weird special teams type game, and it sucks that we still can't score on intent to injure major penalities when guys like Anders Lee lose their mind and try to hurt our stars

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad