Rumor: Devils interested in John Gibson

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
*sigh*

Tell me more.
That's an exaggeration but Gibson does not have a lot of value at that contract. This is the 5th season in a row with a negative GSAA. Dostal is playing just as well as him statistically. Friedman recently said Verbeek wants compensation for the player AND retention. That is so far from reality. No one is paying for Gibson unless retention puts him in the 4-something range and even then you're not getting a premium return. Goalies never see a big return in a trade. When Lehner was on the Blackhawks he was having a very good season on an expiring contract and he only returned a 2nd and a couple scrubs.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
That's an exaggeration but Gibson does not have a lot of value at that contract. This is the 5th season in a row with a negative GSAA. Dostal is playing just as well as him statistically. Friedman recently said Verbeek wants compensation for the player AND retention. That is so far from reality. No one is paying for Gibson unless retention puts him in the 4-something range and even then you're not getting a premium return. Goalies never see a big return in a trade. When Lehner was on the Blackhawks he was having a very good season on an expiring contract and he only returned a 2nd and a couple scrubs.
And if that all is true then the Ducks are better off keeping him.

He doesn’t want to leave.
The fans don’t want to dump him.
Management doesn’t want to dump him.

/thread

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
And if that all is true then the Ducks are better off keeping him.

He doesn’t want to leave.
The fans don’t want to dump him.
Management doesn’t want to dump him.

/thread
It is all true. I would be surprised if he is traded since there seems to be a huge disconnect between the the value of Gibson and his contract versus what Verbeek wants. Granted, it only takes one desperate team to make a foolish trade.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I do think the Devils likely have some interest in Gibson but, I can't see Fitz making any kind of panic move on him though.
I also think that he's willing to ride the season out even with the VV, Schmid and Daws, get their 1st back from SJ for not making the ECF and shop hard in the offseason.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I do think the Devils likely have some interest in Gibson but, I can't see Fitz making any kind of panic move on him though.
I also think that he's willing to ride the season out even with the VV, Schmid and Daws, get their 1st back from SJ for not making the ECF and shop hard in the offseason.
That's certainly a fair take if Fitz is willing to basically throw in the towel on the season. Unfortunately, the goalie UFA market is not good this offseason and the trade market looks pretty limited.

Assuming that Fitz thinks Gibson is a difference maker, he might decide to pay the price this year. We'll see.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Imo this is a trade that people laugh at because it would cost Jersey too much, but the Devils would have the last laugh

Gibson is an all world talent at a great cap hit. That's such an advantage
$6.4 x 3 more is not a great cap hit!
Gibsons great yrs are in his rear view
His GAA and SV% have been vanilla lately.
And now we're giving up what a 1st and Holtz etc
Nah, pass

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
$6.4 x 3 more is not a great cap hit!
Gibsons great yrs are in his rear view
His GAA and SV% have been vanilla lately.
And now we're giving up what a 1st and Holtz etc
Nah, pass
I do agree that no GM will gamble like that

It's fun for fans to think about like it's a video game where you can just load an old save if you screw up too bad.

But goalies tend to age well. He's held back by his team. Not unlike Ullmark. Put him on a great team and he'd be over .920

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

It's fun for fans to think about like it's a video game where you can just load an old save if you screw up too bad.

But goalies tend to age well. He's held back by his team. Not unlike Ullmark. Put him on a great team and he'd be over .920
Not at 6.4 per and Verbeek is said to be playing hardball. Gs are in high demand. Fitz won't do it and I'm not sure he has too

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think the real problem here is, @ $6.4M with a little more term than is comfortable remaining, plus the expectation of a decent acquisition price in return...you really want that goaltender to be a "difference-maker".

I'm not sure Gibson at this point in his career is truly that anymore. I think he's a guy who you could bring in behind a good team (especially one better than the Devils this year defensively), and get that kind of "good solid goaltending" that you don't worry about at all. Not really "difference-making" but the kind of thing that puts goaltending to bed as a concern to fret over for at least a few years.

To me, that is a difference-maker. Just having rock solid dependable goaltending is a huge difference, and worth some significant value. But i understand why it'd be a tough sell to give up a not insignificant trade package and commit $6.4M on the cap for three more years after this one, to get what is probably more like "upper mid pack" among starters type SV%.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think going more with the Avs strategy of an average goalie and using the money to solidify the other positions would be a better option. It'll cost less assets and less money so you can keep all of your good, young players when their deals come up. With the Devils insane lottery luck, there should be plenty of talent over the next few years to get away with a goalie that just makes the saves he should, they shouldn't need goalies to steal games. It sounds like the current ones are having issues doing that, so maybe moving Vanecek+ for a stop gap until Schmid is ready to be a #1 (assuming he's the future in goal)?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That's certainly a fair take if Fitz is willing to basically throw in the towel on the season. Unfortunately, the goalie UFA market is not good this offseason and the trade market looks pretty limited.

Assuming that Fitz thinks Gibson is a difference maker, he might decide to pay the price this year. We'll see.
I wouldn't say the trade market is limited, I'd think almost all the same guy will be available in the offseason like Gibson, Markstrom and Merzlikins and quite possibly Saros in Nashville.
Once the conditions of the draft picks tied to the Meier trade are settled, it'll be a lot easier for Fitz to make a deal and the risk is lesser as they'd be starting the season with a new team instead of jumping in midseason and hoping for the best.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I think the real problem here is, @ $6.4M with a little more term than is comfortable remaining, plus the expectation of a decent acquisition price in return...you really want that goaltender to be a "difference-maker".

If a guy is that good at that price, he wouldn't get moved barring very unusual circumstances. A strong playoff team with a guy like that isn't giving him up. A middling team with a guy like that is probably a middling team instead of a bottom feeder BECAUSE of him, so they're likely not interested either.

Instances of a true rebuilding team with a difference making goalie ... you won't find that often. And even if you did, if you're not giving up much to accelerate their rebuild then what's their motivation beyond some generic concept of "fire sale?"

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
My post on the Ducks board about this:
The question would be return.

All their top prospects/young NHLers are defesnemen and either not going to move the needle or nonstarters. Hugher, Nemec, Casey, etc. Their 1st and 2nd this year is tied up in the conditions of the Meier trade and cant be moved until after the season. I'm not really interested in a 2025 pick that is likely to be a bottom 10 pick.

So unless it is a lot of quantity coming back in the form of picks, or something crazy like Mercer coming back, I'm not sure it will be worth it for the Ducks.

Gibson has proven he is a great goaltender and he was not the issue in the Eakins era. The Ducks are not going to move him for nothing.
From .899 to .901...

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I think going more with the Avs strategy of an average goalie and using the money to solidify the other positions would be a better option. It'll cost less assets and less money so you can keep all of your good, young players when their deals come up. With the Devils insane lottery luck, there should be plenty of talent over the next few years to get away with a goalie that just makes the saves he should, they shouldn't need goalies to steal games. It sounds like the current ones are having issues doing that, so maybe moving Vanecek+ for a stop gap until Schmid is ready to be a #1 (assuming he's the future in goal)?

Based on both draft status and skill level, I'd imagine Daws was the goalie the Devils view as their future goaltender. Tyler Brennan was also highly regarded in his respective draft class but is just beginning his professional journey.

Reactions: lwvs84

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Ulmark was still good in Buffalo. Despite them being awful he has positive gsaa and .910s. Ability wise he wasn't a problem. Same with Lehner. Who was also good on an awful defensive Blackhawks. People keep talking like Gibson is only being held back. 5 years straight and that's ridiculous.

Goalies preform well on bad awful defensive teams all the time. At least stay above water too. Like Mrazek this year in Chicago. But comparing Gibson to goalies who were good on awful teams is silly. Like people rag on Keumper, he had some amazing play on awful Arizona team.

I don't know how the defense of Gibson keeps going on. He starts each year OK, so it seems fans get back into the he's back talk. It never happens.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Imo this is a trade that people laugh at because it would cost Jersey too much, but the Devils would have the last laugh

Gibson is an all world talent at a great cap hit. That's such an advantage
I genuinely cant say if this is sarcasm or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad