Rumor: Devils interested in John Gibson

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

He's a devils beat writer. The actual content is locked behind a paywall, but obviously there can be some chatter about the topic just based on the caption of the tweet

*edit*

Am going to add this from TFP. He also mentions the devils, but says that any talks have not entered the serious stage

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
My post on the Ducks board about this:
The question would be return.

All their top prospects/young NHLers are defesnemen and either not going to move the needle or nonstarters. Hugher, Nemec, Casey, etc. Their 1st and 2nd this year is tied up in the conditions of the Meier trade and cant be moved until after the season. I'm not really interested in a 2025 pick that is likely to be a bottom 10 pick.

So unless it is a lot of quantity coming back in the form of picks, or something crazy like Mercer coming back, I'm not sure it will be worth it for the Ducks.

Gibson has proven he is a great goaltender and he was not the issue in the Eakins era. The Ducks are not going to move him for nothing.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
I personally like Gibson, but this would feel like a panic move (not a bad move, but typically something you see over the offseason.) I guess that's were we're at with Vanacek though. The contract is the sticking point, not so much Gibson's game. He's easily an upgrade and Schmid is going to be eligible for waivers soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

He's a devils beat writer. The actual content is locked behind a paywall, but obviously there can be some chatter about the topic just based on the caption of the tweet

*edit*

Am going to add this from TFP. He also mentions the devils, but says that any talks have not entered the serious stage

Looks like NJ GM is way smarter than Oilers GM lol

Reactions: Voight

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
1702496504095.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Makes too much sense, but moves that make too much sense seem to take forever to happen in the NHL..if they happen at all.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
At that cap hit and term and his performance over the last 4 seasons, I do not understand why Duck fans feel Gibson has so much value unless you're talking about a major retention. I know they'll talk about the lousy defense in front of him but doesn't GSAA take all of that into consideration? He's been negative in that regard for the last 4 seasons. Plus, goalies never return much in trades compared to positional players.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Without Vanacek going the other way, I can't see it happening midseason
We would need a stop gap goalie coming back anyway

Dostal ain’t ready for full time and our other goalies not ready for back up

The ?/debate is

Vanscek + what
For gibson

And is that + going to be intriguing enough for us, or too expensive for the devils.

Reactions: biturbo19

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
At that cap hit and term and his performance over the last 4 seasons, I do not understand why Duck fans feel Gibson has so much value unless you're talking about a major retention. I know they'll talk about the lousy defense in front of him but doesn't GSAA take all of that into consideration? He's been negative in that regard for the last 4 seasons. Plus, goalies never return much in trades compared to positional players.
Not going to have this conversation for the 100th time.

Ducks fans are fine keeping him, the Ducks brass are fine keeping him, he hasnt requested a trade, the Ducks dont need the cap space.

If you think he sucks then you shouldnt want him.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's about value to the team vs the value in moving him. It makes no sense for Anaheim to move Gibson for nothing just to get his salary off the books when money isn't an issue.

If he is going to be moved it would only make sense if the ducks got something of value coming back. That doesn't mean we think he is "worth" a lot, it's just common sense. There's no ticking clock here.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
My post on the Ducks board about this:
The question would be return.

All their top prospects/young NHLers are defesnemen and either not going to move the needle or nonstarters. Hugher, Nemec, Casey, etc. Their 1st and 2nd this year is tied up in the conditions of the Meier trade and cant be moved until after the season. I'm not really interested in a 2025 pick that is likely to be a bottom 10 pick.

So unless it is a lot of quantity coming back in the form of picks, or something crazy like Mercer coming back, I'm not sure it will be worth it for the Ducks.

Gibson has proven he is a great goaltender and he was not the issue in the Eakins era. The Ducks are not going to move him for nothing.
Uh, pump the brakes a little. Gibson is a good goaltender, not a great one. He's a workhorse like a Saros/Vasilevskiy/Hellebuyck, but a step down. Maybe he proves to be close to a great goaltender on a much better team, but he has to be traded first.

Reactions: hn777

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Ducks can easily take Vanacek back, the value just has to be right and I doubt the Devils or their fans are interested in paying what the Ducks would want.
We would need a stop gap goalie coming back anyway

Dostal ain’t ready for full time and our other goalies not ready for back up

The ?/debate is

Vanscek + what
For gibson

And is that + going to be intriguing enough for us, or too expensive for the devils.
I do think that the return would be mildly disappointing for Duck fans, they'll expect Mercer and they'll end up with picks and a prospect.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Help me out here - I definitely don't watch Ducks games, but the guy's got marginally better numbers than Akira Schmid. Why would the Devils (or anyone) pay anything above the odds for Gibson? Especially at that money for the next 3+ years.
Its fine, you will fit right in with most people passing judgement on him. Atleast you admit it :sarcasm:

I do think that the return would be mildly disappointing for Duck fans, they'll expect Mercer and they'll end up with picks and a prospect.
I think youre probably right. Mercer is the best the Ducks could hope for but I doubt it. I just cant see the Ducks brass moving him for a low pick 2 years from now and some mid prospects.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It's about value to the team vs the value in moving him. It makes no sense for Anaheim to move Gibson for nothing just to get his salary off the books when money isn't an issue.

If he is going to be moved it would only make sense if the ducks got something of value coming back. That doesn't mean we think he is "worth" a lot, it's just common sense. There's no ticking clock here.
2nd rounder + Vanecek($3.4 million(another year remaining after this one) + plus something else for $1.4 million retained on the final 2 years of his contract?

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Is this a legit source? Or speculation cause vanecek hasn't been great so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad