Devils goalie dissection thread

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The difference between Schneider and Price (Holtby too) is that he's having a bad year, unless repeated next year. That's the same thing I said about Schneider after last year. I said that one bad year doesn't mean he's necessarily bad now. Unfortunately it's continued into this year and has become a trend.

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. Look at him from the beginning of the year until the end of December. He was actually quite good. He got into a funk and lost his job. I don’t think he’s finished yet.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. Look at him from the beginning of the year until the end of December. He was actually quite good. He got into a funk and lost his job. I don’t think he’s finished yet.
Take a look around at different goalies. Even the bad ones have good stretches. This death stretch probably just evened out the numbers to the kind of goalie he is right now. Kind of like when Marty had that amazing 4 or 5 weeks in late 2013, then had a stretch that knocked his numbers down to what he was at that point. I think it's the same thing with Cory right now. Not that I think he's as bad as 2013 Marty yet, but he's certainly not good anymore. And even in Marty's decline years, he had half seasons of play where he looked like the Marty of old again. Like in the 2011 part of the 10-11 season and the 2012 part (and playoffs) of the 11-12 season. I mean, he had good stretches last season too. The best October of his career before plummeting.

He's not finished? I think that depends on what finished means. It's possible he can maintain this level of play for 5-6 years, but I think his days of .920% are finished. He might do it one more time or in some random season, but I don't think they'll be an annual event anymore. The best I see him bouncing back is to a .915% goalie like Rask has been the last several years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kinkaid's season on the whole doesn't look like anything great, but grading him on a bell curve, I'd give him a much higher grade than Cory on the season. I really thought he was close to washing out of the league with how he looked as recently as January and maybe even early February. I was very adamant that this season was going to cost him his NHL career, but in the end I think this season has extended his NHL career. I still don't think he really has great starter potential (maybe an okay starter), but he WILL get the first crack at being the starter here next year and he IS the starter for this team right now. He will get the first chance to retain it after this year.

He rarely has allowed stoppable goals in the last couple months. A couple in relief to clean up the mess Cory made in San Jose and that one in Carolina and maybe an early one against Nashville, but those might be the only ones in the last 5-6 weeks. And he's gotten us a couple big wins over tough teams in low scoring games, like tonight against Toronto, Tampa a couple weeks ago, Nashville and a couple of those Pens games. He's actually played the Pens very well all year long.

I have no problem with giving him credit and I was very sure he was going to wash out of the league quickly after this year, which was a gigantic miss by me.

I give him a B+ on the season, Cory gets a D+. It's not that Keith has been that much better than Cory, as much as I expect more out of Cory than I do out of Keith. So a season like this from Keith is holds more merit to me than what Cory did. Cory had his moments in the first half, but he was killing us the last 4 games he played.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One more bit of praise for Keith, as I'm sure some people wanna see more of it from me.

It's kind of cliche and overstated to talk about how a player ''Rises to the challenge'' or ''Rises under pressure'' or whatever, but I think there's a good case to be made for Keith doing it a couple of times these last two years. When it looked like his job might be in danger to being lost to Wedgewood in preseason of 16-17, he answered and kept the job. I always stuck with him over Wedgewood, as I don't think Wedgewood is at all good and haven't for years now.

When he was in danger of possibly losing his NHL career at the beginning of this calendar year, he rose to that challenge and when we were hoping Cory would come back and save us, it was Cory who detonated and Keith who stepped up and rose to the challenge again and turned his season around and really saved it for us. We would have missed the playoffs if he hadn't turned his season around and Cory played anywhere near the level he's been at since after Christmas.

And for what it's worth, I was a proponent of re-signing Kinkaid last Summer, out of fear of Wedgewood being the backup or signing a backup like Chad Johnson or some shit, who really isn't better than Kinkaid. And if we had signed one of those guys or had Wedgewood as our backup, we'd be out of the playoffs right now. Whether that would have been because Cory played more and never found his game again or because Wedgewood cost us too many points in some of these games where Keith played well.

Reactions: theoptimist

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
One more bit of praise for Keith, as I'm sure some people wanna see more of it from me.

It's kind of cliche and overstated to talk about how a player ''Rises to the challenge'' or ''Rises under pressure'' or whatever, but I think there's a good case to be made for Keith doing it a couple of times these last two years. When it looked like his job might be in danger to being lost to Wedgewood in preseason of 16-17, he answered and kept the job. I always stuck with him over Wedgewood, as I don't think Wedgewood is at all good and haven't for years now.

Kink's issues in his career have seemed to center on his focus. "Battling" was something that he talked about earlier in the year when he was struggling.

So maybe as a 27 yr old backup, behind a clear cut #1, Kink played the role a guy who watched most nights, and tweeted funny stuff after wins, maybe was just happy to be here.

But once Cory was hurt and the season started to spiral, he dug in, the games were now important, and they were his.

So yeah I could see a rising to the occasion thing going on here. Hopefully that is the case and we continue to see Kink at his best in the playoffs.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kink's issues in his career have seemed to center on his focus. "Battling" was something that he talked about earlier in the year when he was struggling.

So maybe as a 27 yr old backup, behind a clear cut #1, Kink played the role a guy who watched most nights, and tweeted funny stuff after wins, maybe was just happy to be here.

But once Cory was hurt and the season started to spiral, he dug in, the games were now important, and they were his.

So yeah I could see a rising to the occasion thing going on here. Hopefully that is the case and we continue to see Kink at his best in the playoffs.
He's really performed admirably when you think about it. I feel like he's played 3 sets of back to back's in a row now? Or is it 4? The last 2 were very solid and the second to last was Pittsburgh and Tampa on back to back nights. I thought he played fine against Anaheim, he allowed 4 goals, but that was one of those games where the eye test didn't corroborate what happened on paper. I didn't see much of a chance on any of those goals.

In many ways, this reminds me of Marty in the 11-12 season. He had a poor first half, but channeled the old Marty from February onward.

Reactions: NJ07102

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Money game from Kinker tonight. We need a tender to get us a 2-1 win sometimes and he did that against a really strong offense, as well as against Tampa pretty recently.

As for Schneids, I feel bad for him, but I don’t see him as a top-15 netminder at all anymore. To be frank, I don’t really think there is a top-15 echelon at the position. I think there’s a top-7 or 8, of which I considered Schneids a part of before this season. Then there’s approximately 20 interchangeable guys, and a couple clear cut bottom echelon starters. I think Ward, Howard, Elliott and Halak are just that. To me, Schneids is now on the borderline of the interchangeable and ordinary bunch and the clear cut bottom guys. I see Schneids as being akin to the 2010-2012 Marty and not as deteriorated as the 2013-2015 Marty. I give him a slightly better chance of turning it around just because of being close to a decade younger than the Marty of that era and for the fact that the tread is much less used.

Reactions: theoptimist

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We’re in the playoffs and our #1 goalie (to start the season) doesn’t have a win 2018

To be fair, he's only played 9 games in 2018. Hopefully he can take care of that to end the season (assuming they give Kinkaid the Caps game off anyway).

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
To be fair, he's only played 9 games in 2018. Hopefully he can take care of that to end the season (assuming they give Kinkaid the Caps game off anyway).

They can still move up and have today off.... I think they just ask kk if he's good and that's the decission

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Take a look around at different goalies. Even the bad ones have good stretches. This death stretch probably just evened out the numbers to the kind of goalie he is right now. Kind of like when Marty had that amazing 4 or 5 weeks in late 2013, then had a stretch that knocked his numbers down to what he was at that point. I think it's the same thing with Cory right now. Not that I think he's as bad as 2013 Marty yet, but he's certainly not good anymore. And even in Marty's decline years, he had half seasons of play where he looked like the Marty of old again. Like in the 2011 part of the 10-11 season and the 2012 part (and playoffs) of the 11-12 season. I mean, he had good stretches last season too. The best October of his career before plummeting.

He's not finished? I think that depends on what finished means. It's possible he can maintain this level of play for 5-6 years, but I think his days of .920% are finished. He might do it one more time or in some random season, but I don't think they'll be an annual event anymore. The best I see him bouncing back is to a .915% goalie like Rask has been the last several years.

Which to me is fine, people are wanting to ship him out for scraps.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Kinkaid is 21-7-2 with a .919 SV% in 2018.

26 wins in 38 starts overall

26 Win is tied for second most wins by a Devils goalie in the last 6 years.

Kinkaid is 1 win shy of Cory's career high of 27 wins.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
ok so i didn't really want to enter the 'timely saves' discussion, but after last night i get it. keith has made them when it counts
He gave his team a chance to tie it up but more importantly he gave his team a chance to get the next one and head into 3rd period with a lead where the Devils have gone 32-0-2 when heading into the 3rd with a lead.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Do we rest Kinkaid vs Washington and see if cory can get anything going?

if we do sit kinkaid, i can assure you it wouldnt be to give him some rest. anyone who knows anything about hockey players (and goalies specifically) know he is good to go for every game left this year

He gave his team a chance to tie it up but more importantly he gave his team a chance to get the next one and head into 3rd period with a lead where the Devils have gone 32-0-2 when heading into the 3rd with a lead.

agreed

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
ok so i didn't really want to enter the 'timely saves' discussion, but after last night i get it. keith has made them when it counts

Been doing that most of the season, less his week "slump". He's done it in pasts seasons as well, just consistency was his only issue

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
32-0-2 heading into the 3rd with a lead
19-0-8 last season
23-0-1 in 2015-16

Pretty unbelievable. 0 losses in 3 years when leading after two periods.

Hockey Reference doesn't seem to data for prior years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrik26

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That goal last night was pretty clearly tipped by Greene. And more than slightly. That was the perfect deflection by Greene.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
That goal last night was pretty clearly tipped by Greene. And more than slightly. That was the perfect deflection by Greene.

When I first saw it, I thought the same thing. They showed the replay on the jumbotron and then I thought differently, but watching the condensed game this morning, you can clearly see the puck deflects off Greene's stick to Kinkaid's left just inside the post.

Reactions: mtnet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad