GDT: Devils @ Ducks - DAS EUPHORIA PART SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sorry, it's true. A team cannot reliably generate chances on which they're 50% or higher to score. Teams can't reliably reproduce power play shooting percentages either, not in a given season anyway. You do what you can to set up the best chances possible, but there's not much evidence that teams can set up significantly better chances than another.

How does this make scoring goals accidental?

but there are players who consistently shoot at much better %'s then other players. That can come via numerous routes, but accidental it is not.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Frustrating loss but I'm smiling today. The team played a GREAT road game and should have picked up two points. The puck possession has drastically improved. Last night was as good a game as you can play. The difference is Anaheim capitalized on the few chances they had. Nothing to hang your heads about. Bring that same effort most nights and you have a great opportunity at the playoffs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have six that are basically guaranteed in Hall, Zajac, Parenteau, Cammalleri, Henrique, and Palmieri. Then we have guys like Bennett/Zacha who could easily mess around with that number. The way our fourth line is looking with Kalinin and Lappin it looks like we will finally have a fourth line capable of dominating possession.

This team is so much better and deeper than last year and Josefson is finally nothing more than a depth forward on this team when everyone is healthy and people are still complaining.

I'm just skeptical that Josefson won't be playing on the ''3rd line'' when we're healthy again.

Perhaps he won't be every night, but he always finds himself back there.

It's almost like Hynes believes that he's either a 3rd line player or not in the lineup at all. He was played on the 4th line once this season I believe, then was a healthy scratch and re-inserted and playing with Cammalleri and Bennett (I think it was Bennett?).

And I know there's been a few games where he's been last or second to last in ice time for forwards, but that still means that Fiddler, Kalinin, etc, are playing as ''3rd liners''. I have no problem with them doing that if we had a nice lead and we're using them as a makeshift shutdown line, but we're in some trouble if we're relying on them for offense. And you absolutely need your 3rd line to provide offense.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm just skeptical that Josefson won't be playing on the ''3rd line'' when we're healthy again.

Perhaps he won't be every night, but he always finds himself back there.

It's almost like Hynes believes that he's either a 3rd line player or not in the lineup at all. He was played on the 4th line once this season I believe, then was a healthy scratch and re-inserted and playing with Cammalleri and Bennett (I think it was Bennett?).

And I know there's been a few games where he's been last or second to last in ice time for forwards, but that still means that Fiddler, Kalinin, etc, are playing as ''3rd liners''. I have no problem with them doing that if we had a nice lead and we're using them as a makeshift shutdown line, but we're in some trouble if we're relying on them for offense. And you absolutely need your 3rd line to provide offense.

Honestly, I'm not going to disagree with you there. I think Hynes is going to try to have a blue-collar fourth line that plays simple and effective. Josefson doesn't really fit into that and he's terrible at wing. I find it hard to see Fiddler ever not playing 4C unless he's injured.

But my point remains, Josefson is a depth forward on this team. If he is slotted into the line-up, it will likely be on the third line in terms of offensive ability, because that's where he fits best. Ideally, Zacha could find a way to claim that 3C spot so Josefson doesn't have to play there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly, I'm not going to disagree with you there. I think Hynes is going to try to have a blue-collar fourth line that plays simple and effective. Josefson doesn't really fit into that and he's terrible at wing. I find it hard to see Fiddler ever not playing 4C unless he's injured.

But my point remains, Josefson is a depth forward on this team. If he is slotted into the line-up, it will likely be on the third line in terms of offensive ability, because that's where he fits best. Ideally, Zacha could find a way to claim that 3C spot so Josefson doesn't have to play there.

This is why I hope Josefson is gone after this year. Even if there's someone that replaces him as coaches pet and is overplayed, it won't be someone that's gotten this many chances and survived this long in the league.

I still don't like Pete, but the last year+ proves that Josefson was really not just a guy that Pete hated, as much as he just isn't/wasn't very good. I still maintain that the only thing I blame Pete on in his handling of Josefson was not recognizing his shootout talents in 13-14. He should have been dressed more often, if not for his shootout ability.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This is why I hope Josefson is gone after this year. Even if there's someone that replaces him as coaches pet and is overplayed, it won't be someone that's gotten this many chances and survived this long in the league.

I still don't like Pete, but the last year+ proves that Josefson was really not just a guy that Pete hated, as much as he just isn't/wasn't very good. I still maintain that the only thing I blame Pete on in his handling of Josefson was not recognizing his shootout talents in 13-14. He should have been dressed more often, if not for his shootout ability.

But what's the alternative? I'm not sure there is a better alternative as your 13th forward than a guy like Josefson. If people can just see beyond that and not be pissed off cause it's Josefson, I think people will actually appreciate the role he plays for the team right now.

Instead of Josefson, you're likely to have some guy like Gazdic as your extra forward. Maybe someone like Pietila. Josefson can still play 12/13 minutes and not hurt you which is all you really want as a 13th forward.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But what's the alternative? I'm not sure there is a better alternative as your 13th forward than a guy like Josefson. If people can just see beyond that and not be pissed off cause it's Josefson, I think people will actually appreciate the role he plays for the team right now.

Instead of Josefson, you're likely to have some guy like Gazdic as your extra forward. Josefson can still play 12/13 minutes and not hurt you which is all you really want as a 13th forward.

But my problem is I'm highly skeptical he will be the 13th forward. I'm sure we'll have other options next year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
But my problem is I'm highly skeptical he will be the 13th forward. I'm sure we'll have other options next year.

Once Zacha moves back to C, that pushes Josefson out of the line-up. Blandisi has also been playing a lot of center in Albany so he might fill in at C if he gets called up as well. Realistically, there will likely always be injuries and he is one of the 5 centers on the team right now so if he's healthy, he will likely be in the line-up.

Regardless, it seems like your issue, and the majority on here, is just pure dislike for Josefson regardless of the role he plays. He could be in the line-up and play 8 minutes at even strength with no special teams time and people will complain about something he did.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Once Zacha moves back to C, that pushes Josefson out of the line-up. Blandisi has also been playing a lot of center in Albany so he might fill in at C if he gets called up as well. Realistically, there will likely always be injuries and he is one of the 5 centers on the team right now so if he's healthy, he will likely be in the line-up.

Regardless, it seems like your issue, and the majority on here, is just pure dislike for Josefson regardless of the role he plays. He could be in the line-up and play 8 minutes at even strength with no special teams time and people will complain about something he did.

I think you've got me wrong on my issue. I've said here a lot that the reason so many people hate him is because he's overused, almost always on the 3rd line since Hynes and Shero have been here, gets chances over Boucher, even Bennett was a healthy scratch over him for the first game of the season.

I've said many times that people wouldn't give him as much **** if he were played on the 4th line only, not given a zillion chances over other guys and not thrown out on the power play over and over again. Of course so many will hate him because he's a bust of a first rounder, but his 90000000 lives under Hynes is why most who don't like him are fed up.

I would be fine with him as a 13th forward, I would welcome it with hugs and kisses. I just don't see it happening. I think he'll sooner be off the team than becoming a 13th forward, unless we get a pretty good stretch of health to end this season. That's another similarity he had with Gionta. Every year Gionta was supposed to be either a regular healthy scratch or waived, and it never happened.

Like I said, if he becomes the 13th forward here, I think it signals that he likely won't be back. I don't see him coming back next year in that role.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's because you have some bizarre hangup about what the 3rd line and 4th line are on this team. Right now, Josefson is on the 4th line. It is the line getting the least ice time at ES. Last game he was a on the ice for a goal for, was a +1, had a shot on goal, and his line with him on the ice was +10 Corsi in about 8:50 of ES time. And yet he's still the topic of discussion.

He's already been on for as many 5 on 5 ES goals this year as last year. He's playing fine.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's because you have some bizarre hangup about what the 3rd line and 4th line are on this team. Right now, Josefson is on the 4th line. It is the line getting the least ice time at ES. Last game he was a on the ice for a goal for, was a +1, had a shot on goal, and his line with him on the ice was +10 Corsi in about 8:50 of ES time. And yet he's still the topic of discussion.

He's already been on for as many 5 on 5 ES goals this year as last year. He's playing fine.

As I've said, we'll continue to be a low scoring team as long as guys like Josefson, Fiddler, Kalinin, Pietila, etc are playing "3rd line" for us.

You called Zajac a 3rd liner last year and said that's where he should be. Yet even in his crappy 14-15 season when he sucked at offense and had his worst season of his career, he was still better than any of those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad