Post-Game Talk: Devils defeat Avs 4-1 : Feels Good, man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory played really well, by no means am I knocking him. And I understand a losing goalie who give up 4 goals and makes less saves then the winning goalie will never "out star" the winner, but those save Bernier made were crazy. That's all I'm saying.
Yeah, if we had 45 shots instead of 39 or only scored 2 or 3 goals, he probably would have gotten a star. Like Devs26 said, it's rare for a goalie to get one of the 3 stars when allowing 4 goals. If not for the fact that when a team scores 4 goals, there's usually quite a few stars to choose from.

I think Martin Jones may have gotten one of the 3 stars last year in game 5 of the Edmonton series. He allowed 4 goals, but faced close to 50 shots and made close to 15 really high quality saves in overtime, before the game winning goal was scored. That game should have ended a few minutes into OT, but he dragged that carcass through almost an entire OT period.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought we played well defensively, until sometime around when Andy Greene left the game. He came back in the 3rd period, but there was a point in the 2nd where we were without 3 skaters.

I think we had a +15 shots on goal advantage at some point early on, maybe it was only 12 shots. The Avalanche also racked up quite a few shots on that double minor power play.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, if we had 45 shots instead of 39 or only scored 2 or 3 goals, he probably would have gotten a star. Like Devs26 said, it's rare for a goalie to get one of the 3 stars when allowing 4 goals. If not for the fact that when a team scores 4 goals, there's usually quite a few stars to choose from.

I think Martin Jones may have gotten one of the 3 stars last year in game 5 of the Edmonton series. He allowed 4 goals, but faced close to 50 shots and made close to 15 really high quality saves in overtime, before the game winning goal was scored. That game should have ended a few minutes into OT, but he dragged that carcass through almost an entire OT period.

An extended playoff OT game is one thing, I was mostly talking about regular season - it just doesn't happen. I'd love to see a stat on how many goalies allow 3+ and get a star in the regular season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I thought we played well defensively, until sometime around when Andy Greene left the game. He came back in the 3rd period, but there was a point in the 2nd where we were without 3 skaters.

I think we had a +15 shots on goal advantage at some point early on, maybe it was only 12 shots. The Avalanche also racked up quite a few shots on that double minor power play.

Yeah that was when the ice titled there way. We were down three skaters, and to kill a penalty or two and Hynes leaned really heavily on Mueller and Santini to make up for Greene's departure. Mueller did his best but he was a bit overwhelmed. Not terrible.

Third had the long PK, and some end to end play but overall it was a lot more even with Greene back.

PK was excellent BTW and officially it was perfect as the Avs goal was changed to even strength.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
he definitely had 1. Near the end of the game, might have been on the PK on an odd man rush

so thats weird that he wasnt credited with one

I went back and watched some highlights and it definitely looked like he got a shot on one of their PPs too. Looked like it got Bernier on the shoulder...hmm. Scorekeeper needs to step it up.

But I still think Zacha wasn't aggressive enough. He wasn't bad and made some smart plays, but he can take it to another level.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Looked very dapper in his suit.

Miles Wood still looking for that tissue since he was crying.
Don't think anyone played bad up front that Wood could replace either, so I expect him to still be sitting on Monday.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Chris Johnston of Sportsnet just said in 2nd intermission on Hockey Night in Canada, That word & speculation is Kyle Palmieri injury is likely just a bone bruise.

Came here with the same speculation. Palms had all his weight on the other leg when he made contact, very good news from a structural standpoint. Most ligament/meniscus injuries occur with a planted leg.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Wood sitting for Brian Gibbons puzzles me.
Gibbons can kill penalties fairly well, Wood can't. I really think Wood needs to show enough 5 on 5 to outweigh Gibbons penalty killing to get a permanent spot, and being a possession black hole as he often is won't cut it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Dude how do you remember this stuff? :laugh:

Reactions: Bleedred

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Gibbons really reminded me of Stephen Gionta out there lol. He's fine as an extra forward, but I'd rather Woody be in there purely from an entertainment standpoint.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't like this stat in that it doesn't show if the dump in was done to execute a line change
I don't think all dump ins are bad either. The garbage we did all last year where we dumped it in just to give the puck away is obviously bad, but if you dump it in and successfully gain possession I don't have a problem with that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wood sitting for Brian Gibbons puzzles me.
On face value Im not that into it, but it's a long season, and after giving Wood a long leash last year, giving him more responsibility then his play warrants, Hynes might look to go more with a short leash this season. Might not be the worst idea. Maybe letting him watch the game a bit could help Wood think the game a bit better.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think all dump ins are bad either. The garbage we did all last year where we dumped it in just to give the puck away is obviously bad, but if you dump it in and successfully gain possession I don't have a problem with that.
Ya dump in's, especially from the 4th liners, should not be frowned upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad