Post-Game Talk: Devils defeat Avs 4-1 : Feels Good, man

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Probably. :laugh:
We used strictly adhere to a shot being a puck that would go in, which is what it's supposed to be, but most arenas are a lot more open about that.

I thinks it's league wide. Shot counts seem very elevated in general.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There was an article in I think USA Today about players purposely trying to juice their Corsi with random shots because it's used in contract negotiations. I'll see if I can find it :)

In all honesty, at certain points last season, Bennett looked like he was doing that. Would see him float the puck on goal when making a line change or wrist a shot on goal for a face-off sometimes.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
In all honesty, at certain points last season, Bennett looked like he was doing that. Would see him float the puck on goal when making a line change or wrist a shot on goal for a face-off sometimes.

That's hockey 101 though. I would always want any luck on net no matter what. But that's just me.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That's hockey 101 though. I would always want any luck on net no matter what. But that's just me.

A wrist shot with no traffic on the rush from a blue line by someone like Bennett would never go in. A guy like Palmieri trying to change the angle quickly and get a shot off through a defender is a different story. One seems like a Corsi-inflator while the other seems like a genuine attempt to score a goal.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Did we get a new shot counter? I'm suspect of 80 shots.

Yesterday I said, "did they hire the shot counter from MSG"?

There's no way there was that many legitimate shots. Bodes well for Schneider's .SVP this season.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
A wrist shot with no traffic on the rush from a blue line by someone like Bennett would never go in. A guy like Palmieri trying to change the angle quickly and get a shot off through a defender is a different story. One seems like a Corsi-inflator while the other seems like a genuine attempt to score a goal.

I'm sure any gm would do some homework on a player and not just look at his stats at face value. Only bad shot is the one not taken.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'm actually not surprised palms wasn't more injured. When I got home and saw him walking out of the ice, he turned around and took the time to mouth off to Johnson, which told me all I needed to know of the severity of his injury

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lol. A shot on goal is never a bad play, and I highly doubt players are thinking "time to increase my Corsi!" But then again, I don't really know.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Lol. A shot on goal is never a bad play, and I highly doubt players are thinking "time to increase my Corsi!" But then again, I don't really know.
Agreed. Doesn't matter who you are, where you are on the ice, or whats in front of you when you shoot. Every puck on net is a good play. If little flips from center ice can beat a goalie, so can any player in the league one on one.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pretty much agree, though it might explain those times when you see a guy lightly flip a puck on goal from 100 feet out at the end of a period at 22 mph. :dunno:

You have a 100% better chance of scoring doing that than just holding the puck or dumping it to the corner.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You have a 100% better chance of scoring doing that than just holding the puck or dumping it to the corner.
I don't know... I think that are also times when just holding on to the puck for extra second allowing your teammates to get open or just making a pass to a player in a better position is the best play -- Just like Vanek was saying in that article.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sorry, but that's demonstrably false. Your odds do not go from 0 to 100% ;)

That's not what I said though. Something with any probability of happening, even if it's 1%, is 100% more likely to happen than something that has a 0% chance of happening.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't know... I think that are also times when just holding on to the puck for extra second allowing your teammates to get open or just making a pass to a player in a better position is the best play -- Just like Vanek was saying in that article.

Well sure, if there is 20 or 30 seconds left. But if you get the puck with 2 seconds left in the neutral zone and just fire it on goal, I doubt you are trying to increase your Corsi. I think players do it because they think it's the best play. I find it hard to belive that players are making plays with personal stats like Corsi in mind. Maybe if they are going going for a goal or assist record or something. But, like I said, I don't really know.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
That's not what I said though. Something with any probability of happening, even if it's 1%, is 100% more likely to happen than something that has a 0% chance of happening.

I was more or less joking.

On the other hand, you could say a .0001 % chance is *infinitely* more probable than a 0% chance so why stop at 100% :P

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I see no reason not to slot Wood and/or Blandisi into the lineup if one or both of Palms and Stafford are out. I'd hate to see LJ come in, have a decent game, and convince Hynes to slot him back into the regular lineup; because we know it would be smoke and mirrors.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think the question is more, what is the best path to keeping or quickly retrieving the puck. Or keeping the opposition from quickly breaking out. Putting a week shot on net from outside the zone is basically giving the opposing goalie the puck. Certainly Marty would try to quickly turn the puck up ice.

I imagine it's fairly negligible, but I'm not sure. It might actually be a better play to dump it in the corner. Could depend on the goalie. And of coarse the position of the d-men at the time of the shot.

That said, I don't think Bennett or whomever is doing it to get their Corsi up so as to help in negotiations.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I see no reason not to slot Wood and/or Blandisi into the lineup if one or both of Palms and Stafford are out. I'd hate to see LJ come in, have a decent game, and convince Hynes to slot him back into the regular lineup; because we know it would be smoke and mirrors.

We can't bring Blandisi up without putting someone on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad