GDT: Devils at Canes, 3/9 7:00PM

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
People have been complaining about this for years. Mo had a near perfect record when leading after two periods, but they still whined endlessly about the strategy because they want to see moar goals and statpadding.

I have yet to see this strategy come back to bite the team on anything remotely close to a consistent basis, like people *always* predict it will. They're always "playing with fire". No, they're not. They are playing with the percentages, which favor them. If you're leading by a multiple goals with 20 minutes to play and you revert to a strategy in which you limit scoring chances against, you will probably win the game unless Michael Leighton is your starter. The lack of scoring chances for your team is irrelevant--you don't need a goal.

Since I'm in a mood to condescend, prevent defense is a successful strategy and the only reason people disagree is because on the rare occasion it fails it is scapegoated by those who already had their minds made up because they want to be entertained 100% of the time rather than seeing their team win. These are the same people who like Chad LaRose.

I agree with most of what you have said here, but seriously, does every single post you make absolutely have to bash LaRose, or even worse, the people who think he's an OK player?

It's getting a little old. No, make that a lot old.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We have 7, the problem is we only have two cable boxes, one of which exculsively plays music.

Now you see my conundrum :laugh:

Yeaaaaaaah safe to say. And I'm guessing corporate (assuming you're not upper management yourself) would have a problem with you putting one of the games on the music box.

And yeah, count me in the "I like LaRose" column. Also count me in the column that loves seeing the team play enough 1-3-1 trap with a lead in the 3rd period to make John Beilein blush.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Didn't see if it was mentioned during the thread, but Dan Ellis was pretty stupendous last night. Making the standard saves with ease, and making some outstanding saves on top of it. The diving glove save was a jaw dropper.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I have yet to see this strategy come back to bite the team on anything remotely close to a consistent basis, like people *always* predict it will. They're always "playing with fire". No, they're not. They are playing with the percentages, which favor them. If you're leading by a multiple goals with 20 minutes to play and you revert to a strategy in which you limit scoring chances against, you will probably win the game unless Michael Leighton is your starter. The lack of scoring chances for your team is irrelevant--you don't need a goal.

Where are these "limited scoring chances" you speak of? What I am seeing (and why I voiced concerned) is a plethora of scoring chances against during these 3rd periods.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Once we have our queso washer fluid cookies, play defense. Simple enough. I don't understand the agita.

Fun watching these guys play.

--hank

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Didn't see if it was mentioned during the thread, but Dan Ellis was pretty stupendous last night. Making the standard saves with ease, and making some outstanding saves on top of it. The diving glove save was a jaw dropper.

I Agree. I thought Sanguinetti also had a solid game and liked the work of the 3rd line as well. If Sanguinetti can continue to improve, he can be a 5-6 guy on this team for a while. Faulk struggled last night. They are putting a lot on his plate for a 20 yo, but not much choice. Last year, the team could throw Gleason and Allen out in tough situations. With Pitkanen out, their's not a lot of options.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Once we have our queso washer fluid cookies, play defense. Simple enough. I don't understand the agita.

I would agree with that, but why I even brought it up, is I didn't see them playing much defense and giving up a lot of scoring chances. Not a huge deal though, they are getting the wins and this will be my last comment on it.

Fun watching these guys play.

--hank

I agree.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Need that "killer instinct." When up, keep going hard and don't sit back on a lead. 5-1; go for 10-1! This seems like a phenomena common in sports in general. Last night the Devils could have stolen that game. The PP. I don't get it. When up, Muller decided to rest the top guys (ice time shows this). Someone said that Muller wanted them to run set plays. Sure you have to be able to adapt at times, however, I think they should simply just go out there and play as they do 5 on 5. In short, just play with them short. I am convinced that these players know what to do. Let them do it. Anyway, without doubt the PP as is, isn't working. Don't just keep doing the same thing. This is what has concerned me with Muller. Can he adapt in all circumstances, under pressure, instantly, as the game dictates? Use a timeout and explain what he and the other coaching staff are seeing out there. There is no reason that I can see for the PP to be this poor given what they can do at even strength. This is an obvious fact.

There's a name for that phenomenon, it's called "the other team is getting paid, too."

Let's face some facts. First of all, we weren't outplaying New Jersey to the tune of 5-1 after two. As a matter of fact, they were outshooting us 23-18 after two. Secondly, Hedberg was awful. He gave us the Skinner goal, and the Harrison/Terry goals were both shaky 5-hole goals. And finally, New Jersey is a good team. So is it really that hard to believe that they made a push in the third? I don't think so.

Yes, it appears that the Canes have some issues in the third period lately, but it *was* the first period that was killing them earlier in the season. We're just not going to dominate every minute of every period. This is the NHL. Get the win, take the two points, and move on.

I do wish they'd try something different on the power play, though. That *can* be fixed.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I do wish they'd try something different on the power play, though. That *can* be fixed.

I think the only negative thing about Semin on this team is that now everybody is trying to be him and make the perfect no-look pass. They need to dumb it down, put Eric and Tlusty in front of the net and have the other three guys blast away at the puck until something happens.

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Am I to assume our playoff push avatars will involve a garbage trucks, garbage can, or Oscar the grouch?

I like it. Also the Garbage Pail Kids idea someone mentioned.

Don't get me wrong here, because the GDT is imaginative and has a fun theme that is difficult to fully develop and you've done a great job with it...but are you saying that the rivalry between the two franchises began at the bump-a-Marty party?

For me it all began with Stevens dirty hit on Ronnie Francis in the 2001 playoffs. Hated them ever since.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
For me it all began with Stevens dirty hit on Ronnie Francis in the 2001 playoffs. Hated them ever since.

I remember lying awake trying to think of how the Canes could get back at Stevens, so yeah, that was my indoctrination as well. Winning the next two games without two of their scorers was the revenge we needed. Since this thread is pretty much over anyway, I'll add this: I thought neither the hit on Willis nor the one on Francis was dirty.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I thought the one on Francis was borderline, not overly dirty but definitely not a clean play IMO. The one on Willis, as ****** as it is to say it, John's phrase "that's hockey baby" is spot on for that one.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Not sure if this was posted last night, but:

Mike Sundheim ‏@MikeSundheim
Sellout in Raleigh. 12,027 at an AHL game in Charlotte. 30k fans attended hockey games in NC tonight, despite #dukevsunc.

Even the bar I was at in CH put the Hurricanes game on right up until 9:00.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Not sure if this was posted last night, but:

Mike Sundheim ‏@MikeSundheim
Sellout in Raleigh. 12,027 at an AHL game in Charlotte. 30k fans attended hockey games in NC tonight, despite #dukevsunc.

Even the bar I was at in CH put the Hurricanes game on right up until 9:00.

Amazing how big the sport is becoming here.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Since I'm in a mood to condescend, prevent defense is a successful strategy and the only reason people disagree is because on the rare occasion it fails it is scapegoated by those who already had their minds made up because they want to be entertained 100% of the time rather than seeing their team win.
It's quite successful in hockey but gets a bad name overall mostly due to its uneven results in football. Same basic strategy but its negative connotation is often misapplied to hockey in my experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad