Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VI - The Home Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Back to back games in the same town that they have been in for days? That's a problem? If they are exhausted after that there is zero chance they'll be able to survive the rigors of the playoffs.

But let me get out of the way I don't want run over by excuse train.

Even in the playoffs you generally aren't jumping between 3 different time zones and flying from Jersey to Nashville to Vegas to Los Angeles/Anaheim all in the span of a week. And you never play back to backs on top of it. They should have put up a better performance, but I'm not going to flip out and push the panic button given the circumstances of the game.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Going back to the discussion about a subscription to the Athletic, I saw a 50% off offer and just decided to do it - 30 bucks for a year. It's pretty good, especially since we have our own dedicated writer. You're not getting anything groundbreaking, but it seems like at least one Devils specific article a day, as well as a lot of general NHL. Obviously you have access to other teams and sports too.

The articles so far: an article about Johansson and his relationship with Nik Backstrom - specifically in regards to his concussions and how Backstrom went through some a few years ago.

Yesterday was an article that statistically (both in points and advanced metrics) Vats has been playing like a #1 defenseman since coming over to NJ. On the quantifyable list, he's up there with the pernially Norris vote-getters.

The first article I have not had a chance to yet is about Brian Boyle and him bringing cancer awareness around the league and the support he's gotten.

My impressions so far is that the articles are interesting and contain some background content you may not get from other sites. No groundbreaking news, but if you're looking for more content, it's definitely enjoyable. If you can find a 50 or 40% off offer, it's definitely worth the 30 bucks or so for a year. Once your year is over, the price ups to 60 a year, not sure it would be worth it at that price .

That's my two cents, just thought I'd let you guys know because some of you were curious like I was .

I subscribe as well and got a similar deal, but that was before the Devils writer came on board last week. That's a bonus for me. Hopefully it continues.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Nah, it wasn't fatigue. Let's stop making excuses, they just didn't show up.

Easy assessment to make from our couches and keyboards. Again, I'm not completely discounting the poor performance but it's unfair to treat this game like they didn't show up against Arizona on a Wednesday night in Newark with two days off beforehand.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Even in the playoffs you generally aren't jumping between 3 different time zones and flying from Jersey to Nashville to Vegas to Los Angeles/Anaheim all in the span of a week. And you never play back to backs on top of it. They should have put up a better performance, but I'm not going to flip out and push the panic button given the circumstances of the game.
back to backs are definitely a factor, but they didn't show enough effort at all.

the timezone factor shouldn't really be an issue, especially since the LA game ended earlier.

trust me, i tried to counter @Aethon 's point, but i got nothing for yesterday. they sunk early and threw in the towel

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I agree, three heavy teams in a row (VGK, LAK, ANA) with a lot of travel in between starting from Nashville (who is a top / fast team they started this trip against).....

Can't blast them on being tired with the travel considerations and the teams they faced. Saying excuses are just excuses is a cop out if you don't want to fairly analyze this with some context. Anaheim was waiting for us, ie, the setup game.

By the time playoffs come around, everyone is dog tired after the 1st round so its a matter of who is healthiest and still able to play their game intact.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Easy assessment to make from our couches and keyboards. Again, I'm not completely discounting the poor performance but it's unfair to treat this game like they didn't show up against Arizona on a Wednesday night in Newark with two days off beforehand.
so then what was it? the way i categorize poor performance, it's either

1. bad lines/chemistry
2. bad lineups overall due to injuries and shit
3. bad team matchup strategically
4. team doesn't show up
5. tiredness

i'm prob missing more reasons, but for me, i think it's a combo of 3 and 4, with the heavy hitting ducks wearing the team out and deflating them after the 1st period. there was no fight to come back. i think blowing it on the multiple PPs we had REALLY deflated their egos too. f*** ward

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Anaheim to LA is a 30 minute bus drive....the exhaustion they must've felt...it was probably unbearable

long, arduous journeys like this remind me of the oregon trail or the trail of tears. i fully expect this type of tortuous herding to be a principle reason the players union decides to strike when the CBA expires

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
so then what was it? the way i categorize poor performance, it's either

1. bad lines/chemistry
2. bad lineups overall due to injuries and ****
3. bad team matchup strategically
4. team doesn't show up
5. tiredness

i'm prob missing more reasons, but for me, i think it's a combo of 3 and 4, with the heavy hitting ducks wearing the team out and deflating them after the 1st period. there was no fight to come back. i think blowing it on the multiple PPs we had REALLY deflated their egos too. **** ward

It's a lot more in depth than general categories, but if we're sticking with the above, I would say a combination of 2, 4, and 5. It's also the National Hockey League and there are about zero teams that would beat Nashville, Vegas, Los Angeles and Anaheim consecutively on the road. But we love to complain here, so let's bring back the narrative that Hynes is a terrible coach and we have the worst defense ever compiled in hockey history because Ray Shero only values small forwards. That's the real reason we lost last night.

Reactions: OmNomNom

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
long, arduous journeys like this remind me of the oregon trail or the trail of tears. i fully expect this type of tortuous herding to be a principle reason the players union decides to strike when the CBA expires

Don't forget the hour flight from Vegas to LA... the one some people consider a commute and others just a pressurized drunk bus.

Reactions: Blender

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Are you going to blame those first 2 GA on fatigue? Or the 5 on 3?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The NHL app now lists Maroon as the third leading scorer with 37 points. Say what you will about Hynes but the fact that a bargain rental is apparently the third leading scorer suggests to me that there are still fundamental talent issues with the team. They may be bad luck and injury related or youth related but this is still a team with holes in the lineup that a coach can only do so much with. Couple that with erratic goaltending and it’s not surprising that on a night where the team lacks energy they get man handled. Look what happened to Vegas against NJ on a night where Vegas effort was off. They looked like the expansion team they are. It’s hard to have to win on Herculean effort all the time.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I agree, three heavy teams in a row (VGK, LAK, ANA) with a lot of travel in between starting from Nashville (who is a top / fast team they started this trip against).....

Can't blast them on being tired with the travel considerations and the teams they faced. Saying excuses are just excuses is a cop out if you don't want to fairly analyze this with some context. Anaheim was waiting for us, ie, the setup game.

By the time playoffs come around, everyone is dog tired after the 1st round so its a matter of who is healthiest and still able to play their game intact.

They looked gassed but Maroon doesn't like that excuse this time of year.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Travel is hardly the problem. Every team faces it.

But I swear some people treat players like they're robots. It's damn near impossible to play on the top of your game every night. Every single team in this league throws up an awful game every now and then, but this board goes into full panic and hot takes mode anytime it happens for some reason.

You're hardly ever going to have your legs in back-to-back games. You need to rely on goaltending and timely scoring more often than not. Devils went down 2-0 early, Anaheim played smart and safe the rest of the game, and the Devils didn't convert on their power plays or have the legs to skate through Anaheim's defense.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Very successful road trip so far.

SJ is a big one.
Yeah it’s pretty huge considering the two games after that. We’ve beaten Tampa and Pit before but it’s a tough ask to do it again. We can’t afford another long pointless streak, we have to find a way to get points.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah it’s pretty huge considering the two games after that. We’ve beaten Tampa and Pit before but it’s a tough ask to do it again. We can’t afford another long pointless streak, we have to find a way to get points.
Ya, even if it's just the loser points. Too many pointless losses of late.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Imagine sleeping all morning, going for a skate at 11:00, Working for 15/16 minutes a night, with breaks of course and being too tired to do it two nights in a row? Oh and almost none of them are much over 30 years old..

A goalie, that plays a lot, 70+ games let's say, plays about 4200 minutes... he's on the ice more than 99% of the players in the league. 4200 minutes is 70 hours of work spread over 7 months. I know 55 year olds that carry cinder block 50 hours a week, I am sure some of you do too. Exhausted? That's funny stuff.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Imagine sleeping all morning, going for a skate at 11:00, Working for 15/16 minutes a night, with breaks of course and being too tired to do it two nights in a row? Oh and almost none of are much over 30 years old..

A goalie, that plays a lot, 70+ games let's say, plays about 4200 minutes... he's on the ice more than 99% of the players in the league. 4200 minutes is 70 hours of work spread over 7 months. I know 55 year olds that carry cinder block 50 hours a week, I am sure some of you do too. Exhausted? That's funny stuff.

And I bet you if you put two 55 year old guys that carry cinder blocks next to each other for a month, there will be some days when one guy vastly outperforms the other.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
94 is probably the cutoff point. We are currently at 82 with 10 games left.

6-4-0
5-3-2
4-2-4

nothing too outrageous there.

Should be interesting to keep an eye on Florida.

Their road record is atrocious -- 13-16-4 I believe -- and they have 7 of their next 8 games on the road. Quality of competition might factor into that, but they can't afford to lose any ground in the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad