Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VI - The Home Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm going to guess Miles is probably done for the season if they are keeping it this quiet. Probably seeking multiple opinions. Or maybe it's just because we don't have anybody that covers the team that we haven't heard anything...

I was surprised last night when they said he was unlikely to return instead of definitely out for the game. Keeping my fingers crossed that means nothing is severely damaged and it’s just soreness.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
What else are we gonna do? Not like we can control results. If we were players that'd be another story.

People project all the time, every year. Usually most projections before the trade deadline are junk cause the cutoff number ALWAYS goes up down the stretch as some teams sell off and others fortify and you're seeing that again this year. That's why they're called projections. Of course sometimes people take projections as absolute fact (and those percentage based sites only seem to take point totals and not schedule or recent play/injuries into account) and that's wrong but still.

And if you go into every single game thinking must win you're gonna drive yourself batty. If anything figuring out percentages is good to calm down SOME of the hypertenseness.

i look at where we are in the standings today

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I'm going to guess Miles is probably done for the season if they are keeping it this quiet. Probably seeking multiple opinions. Or maybe it's just because we don't have anybody that covers the team that we haven't heard anything...

Well they cant really know too much since they are on the road, and they had off today so no information on anyone..

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

did you mean zacha? i'm starting to worry that zacha is dead, and they're trying to set up a system of levers and pulleys to give him the old 'weekend at bernies' treatment

Reactions: OmNomNom

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure Zacha has a concussion. If I'm remembering the play that injured him correctly then his head smacked in the boards pretty good. But obviously we have to wait for some official word of some kind.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've been worried about that too but I didn't want to add to the normal paranoia here...any other injury they usually at least provide some sort of timetable.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
You willing to retain up to 50% of that contract?

No. Besides, it's not like he's been trash the entire season. He's had a bad 10 games, just like any player can have. Some people seem to conveniently ignore the fact that Cory was just fine before this losing streak. Oddly, they're the same people who seem to ignore that up until about 12 games ago Kinkaid wasn't particularly good either. Sample sizes people, sample sizes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It was reported as an upper body injury for Zacha, but the team also said there was a chance he met up with the team on this road trip and he was day to day. They were very specific that Mojo had zero chance of meeting up with the team in the same updates, so it can’t be that serious with Zacha.

Honestly I doubt we get any real update on Zacha until next weekend when they get back.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No. Besides, it's not like he's been trash the entire season. He's had a bad 10 games, just like any player can have. Some people seem to conveniently ignore the fact that Cory was just fine before this losing streak. Oddly, they're the same people who seem to ignore that up until about 12 games ago Kinkaid wasn't particularly good either. Sample sizes people, sample sizes.
Since Cory has been here 400 games have been played.

Cory has had 266 starts. 106 wins

All these goalies combine for 134 starts and 64 wins

Kinkaid has had 86 starts 42 wins
Brodeur has had 39 starts 19 wins
Wedgewood has had 4 starts 2 wins
Lack has had 3 starts 1 win
Appleby has had 1 start 0 wins
Clemmensen has had 1 start 0 wins

Over the last 5 years the team won at .398 with Cory and .478 without him

Even this year if you take out the ten bad games....

38 starts minus the 10 bad ones is is 17 wins in 28 starts that's .607 .Kinkaid has 19 in 30 starts that's .633

But you can't take away those 10 games and you can't take away the fact that Cory is a loser.

Last edited:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Since Cory has been here 400 games have been played.

Cory has had 266 starts. 106 wins

All these goalies combine for 134 starts and 64 wins

Kinkaid has had 86 starts 42 wins
Brodeur has had 39 starts 19 wins
Wedgewood has had 4 starts 2 wins
Lack has had 3 starts 1 win
Appleby has had 1 start 0 wins
Clemmensen has had 1 start 0 wins

Over the last 5 years the team won at .398 with Cory and .478 without him
Even this year. Take out the ten bad games.

38 starts minus the 10 bad ones is is 17 wins in 28 starts that's .607 .Kinkaid has 19 in 30 starts that's .633

But you can't take away those 10 games and you can take away the fact that Cory is a loser.

Haha, I love when Jim goes on a rant

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What about the 17 wins he had in 28 appearances before this losing streak? Do those simply not count because they don't fit your tired narrative?
Even that stretch is not as good as his freaking backup!!!! That's the point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Obsessively pointing out wins over a five-year stretch without context isn't going to make your point any more accurate the hundredth time than it did the first time. You're enjoying this too much quite honestly.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Our backup was 10-7-2 with a .901 save percentage before he got hot for 12 games. But hey man, let's just dump Cory and go the Carolina route of trying every mediocre goalie. I'm sure it'll work out well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Obsessively pointing out wins over a five-year stretch without context isn't going to make your point any more accurate the hundredth time than it did the first time. You're enjoying this too much quite honestly.
5 years = not enough context...266 games vs 134? For real? Context?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Our backup was 10-7-2 with a .901 save percentage before he got hot for 12 games. But hey man, let's just dump Cory and go the Carolina route of trying every mediocre goalie. I'm sure it'll work out well.

The funny thing is you could make a perfectly valid case that Cory sucks now comparing his non-win stats to Keith's the last couple years but that argument never gets made. It's only about how many wins Marty had in 2014 with a lot of 3+ goal games allowed and how many Keith had earlier this year when he was not playing well.

Of those ten wins five of them are...

-A nine-save relief appearance against Ottawa and winning a shootout. Yay but that wasn't exactly a 60-minute win.
-A 5-4 shootout win where KK had an .852 save percentage and gave up four goals
-The 7-5 win at Chicago with an .886 save percentage allowing five goals
-A 4-3 win against the Caps where he gave up three goals on 19 shots
-A 4-3 win over the Flyers where he gave up three goals on 25 shots

And even his first win in this recent stretch was sketchy. He's been a different goalie since that second Philly game in early February, no doubt about it. But glossing over the early-season struggles and pretending offense isn't half the battle with goalie wins is internet lawyering at its finest.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Oh hey guys what are we talking abo-
zGHQb4O.gif

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hey look, Cam Ward has a better win percentage than Cory this year! Let's see if we can swap goalies in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad