Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) V - Trade Deadline Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Fair but, to get to 94, the Devils have to play a little over NHL .500 the rest of the way. That is far from guaranteed, considering their remaining schedule.

That's why the two games after tonight are critical ... if they win those (in regulation), not only are they that much closer to 94, but they make it more difficult for Carolina and Florida to get there.

Will also be important that the numerous games between other Metro teams (and Florida) don't go to OT, so that one of those teams falls further away

yep. every game from here out is critical IMO. i'd feel much more confident if we hadn't been so streaky all year. one bad stretch could spell doom. that said, i think we have the tools to win 3 of 5 to close out the year.

really, when you think about it, our playoff hopes may very well be riding on cory's ball bag

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Fair but, to get to 94, the Devils have to play a little over NHL .500 the rest of the way. That is far from guaranteed, considering their remaining schedule.

That's why the two games after tonight are critical ... if they win those (in regulation), not only are they that much closer to 94, but they make it more difficult for Carolina and Florida to get there.

Will also be important that the numerous games between other Metro teams (and Florida) don't go to OT, so that one of those teams falls further away

I guess, but even when we were on our longer losing streaks, we were picking up points for the most part

Point remains, we'd have to be QUITE bad the rest of the way to miss the playoffs at this point.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Every game left is important. I dont think one single game means more, two points is two points. We are in a playoff spot so it is on us to hold it.

i second this. i didnt know we were "ok" to just lose tonight against the pens? i remember reading last week that a loss aginst the wild wasn't that bad because it was a west team? thats just nuts.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If Schneider comes back 100% he could help us go on a deep run in the playoffs because he will be well rested. Im really liking this team’s makeup for playoff hockey. Im a bit hesitant on a few guys and how theyll perform come crunch time (Coleman, Bratt, Zacha, Greene) but it will be fun to watch.

WE BETTER MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Considering what last season looked like this is so much better. Shero has done what he can to replace MarJo and take some of the load off the teenagers but this is still a young team overall and will have to learn how to win in some tough games down the stretch. Hopefully they can rise to the occasion.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
When healthy:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Maroon-Zajac-Grabner
Wood-Zacha-Bratt
Coleman-Boyle-Gibbons

I'm assuming MoJo is done for the year.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Why would Maroon play lower than Coleman who he is outscoring by over double im pretty sure.

Switch Coleman and Maroon. Not to mention Coleman and Noesen have chemistry, leave them on the fourth with Boyle

I figured Maroon and Noeson may have some chemistry as well. I’m not trying to slow down two lines by splitting up Boyle and Maroon. They both skate like they just crapped their pants.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
the practice lines were

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Wood-Zacha-Bratt
Grabner-Zajac-Noesen
Coleman-Boyle-Stafford

where does Maroon fit in there? dont think he was brought in for the fourth line

if Grabner is okay with switching wings it isnt a big deal, but if Grabner wants to play LW and Wood cant switch, then it makes things awkward.

I like Grabner going RW

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Wood-Zacha-Bratt
Maroon-Zajac-Grabner
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen

even though in that scenario I see line three and two getting equal playing time

Like those bottom lines a lot. When Gibbons comes back, I'm kicking out Boyle and sliding Coleman over to C. I guess it's also possible to scratch Coleman and play Gibbons. Regardless, both Gibbons/Noesen need to be in the lineup when we are fully healthy.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I figured Maroon and Noeson may have some chemistry as well. I’m not trying to slow down two lines by splitting up Boyle and Maroon. They both skate like they just crapped their pants.
Maroon isnt THAT slow. He is Zajac speed or a little faster.

And having Grabner on Maroon and Zajac’s like keeps them speedy enough, id rather have two fast lines and two medium speed lines then three fast and one slow

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
When healthy:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Maroon-Zajac-Grabner
Wood-Zacha-Bratt
Coleman-Boyle-Gibbons

I'm assuming MoJo is done for the year.

Noesen deserves to play. He's productive on the 5 on 5. Good possession player (which I know you hate), but he also scores at a way higher rate than Coleman/Boyle. Much higher rate. We have enough PKers with the Grabner addition, that means we can get away with not having one of Boyle/Coleman in the lineup. Preferably Boyle should be the one to sit, but I think Coleman is more realistic. Coleman has also been good with FOs this year. No reason he can't handle 4th line center responsibilities.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Just throwing this out there (bleedred will have a small rant about this)
Schneider this season has started 35 games, winning 17. Kk has started 23 and won 14, which tells me kk while sometimes allowing more goals a game does come up with the big clutch saves to help win games more often then cory, which is evident by the fact cory has 11 regualtion losses and 6 otl.(17 total)..kk has 8 reg losses and 2 otl (10 total)

913% for cs, and .900 for kk. Corey's started 12 more games, allowing 96 goals, kk, 69 (little ironic that they're just flipped)
Yes, he's went through a slump, but his numbers aren't far off from corys so far this year.

In a waiting room and bored.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Boyle has 2 points in his last 21 games dating back to the start of 2018. 2 in his last 24 games. And he's received Power Play minutes over that time. Both his points occurred on the Power Play. So he's had 0 points in his last 24 games at Even Strength. Scratching him when Gibbons comes back improves the team. Love Boyle's story, but him being a healthy scratch isn't the worst thing. He'll still be around the team.

Noesen and Coleman have both had good years defensively too. Coleman has been strong in the faceoff circle. With Grabner's addition on the PK, Boyle simply isn't needed when we get fully healthy.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Just throwing this out there (bleedred will have a small rant about this)
Schneider this season has started 35 games, winning 17. Kk has started 23 and won 14, which tells me kk while sometimes allowing more goals a game does come up with the big clutch saves to help win games more often then cory, which is evident by the fact cory has 11 regualtion losses and 6 otl.(17 total)..kk has 8 reg losses and 2 otl (10 total)

913% for cs, and .900 for kk. Corey's started 12 more games, allowing 96 goals, kk, 69 (little ironic that they're just flipped)
Yes, he's went through a slump, but his numbers aren't far off from corys so far this year.

In a waiting room and bored.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad