Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Its a rare treat to feel, even for a fleeting moment, that you're in elementary school again. Just a kid without a care in the world. Thanks for the quick trip back to 1995. I enjoyed it.

That's cute, but we didn't need to trade MacLean and Daneyko for picks in '91 in order to build an empire. Lou cultivated assets in a patient and responsible way.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
This team genuinely needs grit and toughness. Jokes aside, we should of not got rid if Bobby Farnham, imo

Don't think those teams that made it very far in the playoffs did so on grit and toughness. And there's a reason Bobby Farnham is in the AHL.

Unless I'm not getting the sarcasm.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
That's cute, but we didn't need to trade MacLean and Daneyko for picks in '91 in order to build an empire. Lou cultivated assets in a patient and responsible way.

Honestly, what are you talking about? Whos is advocating trading young, cheap, promising players - which MacLean and Daneyko were in 1991 - for future draft picks? I dont understand what you mean.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think the Devils missed a ton of opportunities to take on bad money, but the idea that the Devils could have too many assets - last season was the first one in I don't know how long that the Devils had a full complement of picks. They're still behind.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Right, he's incredibly valuable to a team that can't score anyway.

Emelin and McCarron from Montreal for Auvituu and a pick. EMelin is a lefty with one yr left and sort of a cap dump ($4.1M). McCarron grinds down everything. Mont gets Frenchy who is expansion exempt and a pick of some sort.

Solves some RW and LD issues, move Emeiin at the TDL if your not happy and you've got a pick back for '18

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not surprised, or at least I shouldn't be, but I can't believe we're sitting here in June with the 1st overall pick and people are disappointed that the Devils didn't sign this UFA or that UFA last July. Not to say that 1st overall was necessarily the plan coming into the season, but I don't think 'winning a lot of games' was the plan.

Not to mention that from last year through this year and into next year we have a boatload of picks.

I'll assume we are at least in the top 5 in terms of # of picks.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Right, he's incredibly valuable to a team that can't score anyway.

At least he was a cheap 4th line, extra forward that you could slot in for energy and grit and would actually stick up for players when needed.

I forget if it was mentioned here of one of the FB NJD pages I'm at but the time Schneider got an ice shower and the rest of the team just stood and watched is a perfect example. Or if your more convinced that Farnham will never be anything that will properly contribute, even though first year Farnham did get good looks and hit the back of the net a decent amount for his role. But, if you are so convinced that he will flatline here then get a comparable player on salary, someone big and who is good on the bottom six for those dirty, depth goals or will draw those penalties and most importantly stand up for the boys on the team.

What this teams need is another Mike Peluso or Ryan Carter. An enforcer that doesnt take **** and can contribute. Like Clarkson did before he left and went down the tubes.

Our team has too many players that play overly conservative and button up. I'm not saying be the broad street bullies but we could use SOMETHING, and I think there is a player that I am describing that is or will be on the market that certainly wont break the bank either

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Perhaps not relevant, but it's interesting the Devils have yet to extend any forward on the roster. That implies that the Devils already have two forwards on the roster who they intend to expose to expansion who fit the 40/70 rule.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Perhaps not relevant, but it's interesting the Devils have yet to extend any forward on the roster. That implies that the Devils already have two forwards on the roster who they intend to expose to expansion who fit the 40/70 rule.

I bet they go 4-4-1 and expose Cammalleri

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

We also haven't re-signed Kinkaid yet, not saying we're definitely going to. I just think it will be after the expansion draft if we do.

Is Merrill also an RFA? We haven't re-signed him either.

I think a lot of teams might be letting pending UFA's go unsigned until the expansion draft is over. I'm namely talking the Sharks with Thornton here, so they don't have to protect him. I don't think Marleau is coming back.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
We also haven't re-signed Kinkaid yet, not saying we're definitely going to. I just think it will be after the expansion draft if we do.

I think a lot of teams might be letting pending UFA's go unsigned until the expansion draft is over. I'm namely talking the Sharks with Thornton here, so they don't have to protect him. I don't think Marleau is coming back.

That makes sense I think. The only UFA's that are likely to sign with Vegas are those that break the bank (won't be many of those) or perhaps think they won't have much of a market (most players don't think that way).

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I bet they go 4-4-1 and expose Cammalleri

From your keyboard to Shero's ears. This would be ideal.

We're one of the few teams with a bad enough / young enough forward corps that it really wouldn't hurt us to go 4-4-1.

Protect Hall, Palmieri, Zajac, Henrique up front, and Greene, Severson, Merrill on D. Keep a slot open for a D they acquire in trade.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Btw - Merrill signed a two year deal on July 1, 2016, so is not RFA.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Btw - Merrill signed a two year deal on July 1, 2016, so is not RFA.

Thanks

Wasn't sure on that one.

Now I remember that he and Bennett and DSP were all UFA's last year because we didn't match their qualifying offer or whatever it was.

Speaking of DSP, he's still signed. Worst case scenario, hopefully Vegas takes him if they don't take one of Lovejoy or Moore.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Thanks

Wasn't sure on that one.

Now I remember that he and Bennett and DSP were all UFA's last year because we didn't match their qualifying offer or whatever it was.

Speaking of DSP, he's still signed. Worst case scenario, hopefully Vegas takes him if they don't take one of Lovejoy or Moore.

I'd also go 4-4-1 but I'd protect both Moore and Merrill. I'd really love to entice Vegas to take either Cammy (due to his contract) or Lovejoy (he's just awful).

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I just hope we don't lose Merrill. Kinda sad to think about, but I think he's our 3rd-4th best defenseman, depending on the night.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd also go 4-4-1 but I'd protect both Moore and Merrill. I'd really love to entice Vegas to take either Cammy (due to his contract) or Lovejoy (he's just awful).
I wouldn't protect Moore at all, but I'd prefer him over Lovejoy. There's a much greater chance that Moore's suckiness is at a plateau right now, while Lovejoy could possibly get even worse, as if we thought that was even humanly possible.
I just hope we don't lose Merrill. Kinda sad to think about, but I think he's our 3rd-4th best defenseman, depending on the night.
I don't think we would have been any worse with him playing Lovejoy's minutes last year.

Color me skeptical that Lovejoy would flourish in a bottom pairing role. I'd say the only chance of that happening is if last year was an anomaly and Lovejoy isn't really as bad as played this past season.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I wouldn't go 4-4-1. I'd prefer to leave Moore or Merrill unprotected, and wouldn't be upset if they got selected. I feel like they're both 3rd line LD, and we don't need both.

Of the 2, I think Merill is slightly better, but I wouldn't mind having Moore paired up with Santini as a 3rd D line.

I'm hoping we are able to trade for a forward or two to protect before the expansion, which would force us to go 7-3-1.

In either case, I wouldn't protect Camm. They wouldn't pick him anyway, and we'd be better off protecting a different forward. For some reason, I'm partial to Bennett, and would prefer we protect him instead.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ah yes, the weekly Lovejoy ***** session.:P

It's been 2 weeks though!:sarcasm:

As I've said, I stand by the fact that it wasn't a bad signing. Well it's looking like it's gonna be bad, but it wasn't one of those contracts that seems doomed from the start. The fact that we used him to replace Larsson and as our #2 was the problem. I don't think he would have been better as a #5 or #6 either, but at least we could have sheltered him.

I don't think he was nearly this bad in the past few seasons, so hopefully he won't go 2014 Salvador on us next year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I wouldn't go 4-4-1. I'd prefer to leave Moore or Merrill unprotected, and wouldn't be upset if they got selected. I feel like they're both 3rd line LD, and we don't need both.

Of the 2, I think Merill is slightly better, but I wouldn't mind having Moore paired up with Santini as a 3rd D line.

I'm hoping we are able to trade for a forward or two to protect before the expansion, which would force us to go 7-3-1.

In either case, I wouldn't protect Camm. They wouldn't pick him anyway, and we'd be better off protecting a different forward. For some reason, I'm partial to Bennett, and would prefer we protect him instead.

if you're planning on going 7-3-1 and NOT protecting Cammalleri, who are the other 3 forwards you're protecting? we literally don't have anyone else worth a **** :laugh:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
if you're planning on going 7-3-1 and NOT protecting Cammalleri, who are the other 3 forwards you're protecting? we literally don't have anyone else worth a **** :laugh:

You can't protect Cammalleri as the roster is now because no one else fits the 40/70 rule. So you would protect Bennett and then who cares - you can protect Josefson and Gazdic, it doesn't matter.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What this teams need is another Mike Peluso or Ryan Carter. An enforcer that doesnt take **** and can contribute. Like Clarkson did before he left and went down the tubes.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise, just the example used I guess. Carter is the one guy from the CBGB line I wish we never got rid of. I would have kept him. Revisionist history though.

I do agree with need a certain grit of sandpaper on the team. Wood provided that to an extent and I can see Santini growing into that. I'd love a Brendan Gallagher type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad