Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I don't know...

I get that cornerstones came from the earlier period but...

Drafting Elias Souray and Sullivan in 1994, Sykora 1995, White in 1996 Gomez and Gionta in 1998 was another great 4 year period and really the second wave of spectacular players. Add to that Madden and Rafalski...These are the players that moved us past the doldrums of the late 90's where we put up amazing regular seasons and lost in the 1st round.

I think this was equally as franchise changing as the first wave... quite possibly more important as they made it possible for 3 trips to the finals and 2 Stanley Cups when the cornerstones couldn't find success from 95 to 2000 without that second wave of players.

Very fair, can't argue that. Throw Pandolfo and Brylin in there as well.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think they should have sent Zacha down to Bing for the Bye week. The Isles did it immediately after the game with Aho and Beallivseiaerjkldfhjfdnvur. Couldn't hurt to get him good playing time where he can try to carry a team.

no way, we can only send people to the minors if binghamton is on a 10 game winning streak. otherwise, we risk shattering a player's confidence and leaving him rocking back and forth in the fetal position

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think we are going to end up trading one of Hayes or Stafford to make a spot for Mueller anyway.

After that I’m not so sure we see anything unless it is a hockey trade.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Doubt Shero does anything of real note at the deadline, think he’s set with the current group after getting Vatanen.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I think they should have sent Zacha down to Bing for the Bye week. The Isles did it immediately after the game with Aho and Beallivseiaerjkldfhjfdnvur. Couldn't hurt to get him good playing time where he can try to carry a team.
Aho and Beauvillier were called up just prior to the game against us. They haven't been on the NHL roster all season like Zacha.

Reactions: Darkauron

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Very good point! I still think giving him a few games to potentially dominate would be good for him, though.
I'm sure Zacha would help Binghamton, but that would be punitive for Zacha and send the wrong message. That move needed to be made when he was being regularly scratched if at all. Zacha's play has improved since he's returned to the lineup, so no reason to send him down unless he requested to play instead of vaca.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Why should he be saddled with having to play minor league games while the rest of the team gets a week off?

It doesnt make any sense at all. The team would be all rested, and Zacha would have got no time off and could be tired which would not be good at all for the team. It goes against Ray's whole philosophy too

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
I think the defense is too young...

what about a veteran top 4 dman? maybe send Santini down, trade Lovejoy to Pitt

Vatanen-Severson
Mueller-Moore
Butcher-Greene

do we have 5 LHDs there or am I wrong?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If they're on a 8 of 10 streak going into Deadline Day, I'd agree the goal posts are shifted a bit. Even then, I'd expect Shero to look more for a hockey trade for a player signed past this year that addresses a need.

It wouldn't be a conventional deadline trade, but I've learned to put nothing past this man.
If we win 8 out of 10 that would make me even less willing to make a trade.

Team is good, it's deep, we have serviceable veterans in the press box in case of injury, I'm very happy with current situation.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well what are we supposed to do, play 8 dmen?
It will be tricky when Mueller comes back, but that would not make we move multiple guys to their off side.

Sending Santini down is a possibility, but I doubt it considering how heavily they currently lean on him.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I just hope the team comes back rested and ready to kick the Flyers ass and end this horrible losing streak and doesn't become deflated from how they have lost the past 4 out of 5 games.

IDK if anyone talked about this yesterday or heard Pierre's talk with the Devils podcast guys.

But he even thought that no goal in the Islanders game was horrible and said there is no consistency in what is and isn't goal tender interference and pointed to how a similar goal was allowed to stand in the Tampa Detroit game.

The league talks about expanding for new fans, but how are new fans supposed to get into the game when even seasoned analysts can't understand the rules?

And say what ever you want about Pierre being annoying and awkward. The guy knows hockey. He eats and breaths the sport.

So for someone like him to be confused as to what is and isn't interference and say there isn't any consistency in the league regarding certain calls, that is saying a lot.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think we are going to end up trading one of Hayes or Stafford to make a spot for Mueller anyway.

After that I’m not so sure we see anything unless it is a hockey trade.

I’m not so sure either, specifically Hayes, brings back anything unless it’s like a conditional 7th or some waste like that. However anything is better than nothing I suppose.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You keep two in the box for depth. Guys are going to get hurt.

You could say the same for keeping two forwards upstairs though. And there are more forwards to get hurt. Heck other than Mueller most of our key injuries have been to the forward core.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You could say the same for keeping two forwards upstairs though. And there are more forwards to get hurt. Heck other than Mueller most of our key injuries have been to the forward core.

We have more forwards to call up though. We can't say the same on D.

JQ and Lappiin are fine for forwards. We got nothing on D.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

While true, I’d rather have JQ or Lappin in a pinch than Hayes...

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Like I said weeks ago, I really have no idea where Mueller is going to play when he comes back. Greene certainly isn't coming out and shouldn't no matter how much hate he gets. Considering how long of a leash Moore has got in the past for playing like crap with this organization, he's certainly not coming out with the way he's played this year. And it would be a beyond dumb move to take a promising young defenseman like Butcher out who's excelled in his role and has helped the Power Play.

Unless they want to play one of their defenseman on their offside and take Santini out, Mueller will most likely sit the bench.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do think that if we are still in the top 3 by the end of February you do have to at least think about ways to improve the team and take a stab at it.

Obviously nothing insane unless it is also a move that helps us long term as well, but if there is something at the right price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad