Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This.

Henrique is the most popular jersey in the stands - by a large margin. You don't want to trade that away unless the team is competitive and winning because it will draw a very negative response from the fan base. Keep Henrique for now. He's also a VERY clutch player - 2012 run, OHL playoffs.

:laugh:

if management decides NOT to make a move because that player is popular with the fans, then they are doing it wrong. That is stuff Lou would've done.

I don't care that he was clutch 5 and 8 years ago. This past year I got very frustrated with his play as he seemed to coast WAY more than most guys.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

if management decides NOT to make a move because that player is popular with the fans, then they are doing it wrong. That is stuff Lou would've done.

I don't care that he was clutch 5 and 8 years ago. This past year I got very frustrated with his play as he seemed to coast WAY more than most guys.

I agree 100%. I frankly don't care how many Henrique jerseys are in the stands. He was by far the laziest player on the team this year, but still holds enough value to get something good in return for him. Time to part ways with him as he's part of the problem and not part of the solution.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I agree 100%. I frankly don't care how many Henrique jerseys are in the stands. He was by far the laziest player on the team this year, but still holds enough value to get something good in return for him. Time to part ways with him as he's part of the problem and not part of the solution.

If the Henrique jerseys are the most popular, it's a revenue move...everyone will have to buy a new jersey :sarcasm:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
How much do you think Henrique will get on his next contract? I think it will be more than he's worth. Which is why I've advocated trading him before he hits UFA in two years. Do we want Henrique for $5 million per year or God forbid $6 million a year for 5 years when he's 29-34? I'm not sure what he'll get, but he'll probably get at least one more million per year than he's getting now.

One down year in shooting percentage from him and he might only score 14 or 15 goals. A down year in shooting percentage for him would be a league average for most players.

That's a great point.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013

I don't care that he was clutch 5 and 8 years ago.

To be fair, that WAS his only playoff opportunity. If we can get a return that's worth it, I don't mind trading him, but a 20G, 50PTS player that is a proven playoff performer and still pretty young might be worth holding onto as we improve and look to get back into the post season.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
To be fair, that WAS his only playoff opportunity. If we can get a return that's worth it, I don't mind trading him, but a 20G, 50PTS player that is a proven playoff performer and still pretty young might be worth holding onto as we improve and look to get back into the post season.

I'm fine with him at his contract. It's when he's looking for payday. 5.5+ for Rico would hurt. At 4M he's a good deal. Let someone else pay 6 years, 30M for a streaky middle-sixer.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006

The same Lou that broke up the most popular line in Devils history "because they became more of the focus than the team."?

I think if Lou held on to players too long it was because that player was popular with Lou. It was out of his own loyalty. Same thing Lombardi is being criticized for now. Mostly because they were players Lou won with. I'm not sure Lou ever made any decision based strictly on what the fans thought.

If you can get a significant upgrade by trading Henrique, even if it means we have to add valuable pieces, then yeah, I'm for it.

Otherwise, Henrique is a young, core player, that has been clutch at every level of hockey. And I'm not talking just playoffs. You can't go blind to big goals or game winning plays he's made during the regular season as well. He's had one crack at the playoffs in the NHL and he ended two series as a rookie.

Does he leave you wanting for more at times? Sure. But he's still capable of 25 goals in any season. I think the issue is players like Zajac and Henrique need to be slotted in the lineup where they should be slotted.

You can add and improve this team with Henrique being part of the solution. I wouldn't trade him for a slight upgrade or a slightly better fit.

Honestly, the way this draft is looking - assuming we don't win the lottery, or especially if we get bumped back a couple of spots - I'd be more willing to trade the 1st in a deal than Henrique.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
"clutch" is such a myth.

the way Henrique played most of this year was unacceptable, I'm sorry.

You wouldn't trade him for an upgrade? what?

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I don't think anyone is debating him right now, it's Henrique in ~5 years at 5+ million that's the issue.

Honestly he isn't more than a third liner on a good team. Besides the goal against the Rangers I will never understand why fans are attached to him. He's lazy, streaky and doesn't produce a lot anyway.

If we can snag a top-4 defenseman for Rico we should go for it and don't look back. Anaheim seems like a good fit, or maybe LA.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
"clutch" is such a myth.

the way Henrique played most of this year was unacceptable, I'm sorry.

You wouldn't trade him for an upgrade? what?

If you want to pick out one of the worst years the Devils have had since the 80's to judge Henrique's play, and determine how he'll perform for us going forward, go for it.

And pretty sure in that post I said I would trade him for an upgrade. Just for me, it would have to be a significant one. It would have to be something that we're clearly getting the much better player. I'd be willing to package significant pieces with him to do that.

No, I wouldn't trade him for a player who could end up being nothing more than a lateral move just because he plays a different style of game, or just because Henrique was coasting at times this year.

You're clearly fed up with Henrique and sound as though you lean more toward just being rid of him as long as the value is fair. That's where we differ.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If you want to pick out one of the worst years the Devils have had since the 80's to judge Henrique's play, and determine how he'll perform for us going forward, go for it.

And pretty sure in that post I said I would trade him for an upgrade. Just for me, it would have to be a significant one. It would have to be something that we're clearly getting the much better player. I'd be willing to package significant pieces with him to do that.

No, I wouldn't trade him for a player who could end up being nothing more than a lateral move just because he plays a different style of game, or just because Henrique was coasting at times this year.

You're clearly fed up with Henrique and sound as though you lean more toward just being rid of him as long as the value is fair. That's where we differ.

I agree with you Devils4L.
He is a clutch player, a lot of guys don't/can't score in pressure situations such as in playoffs OT.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Shero wants players who have tenacity and scoring ability, so who do you think he tries to sign in the free agent markets or trade from other teams? He probably tries to sign 1–3 year deals, although Shattenkirk and maybe Oshie are exceptions. Justin Williams (he probably makes contract with the Capitals), Martin Hanzal, Nick Bonino, Patrick Eaves, Mike Fisher, Brian Boyle, Danniel Winnik, Drew Stafford (his scoring ability isn't that great), or someone else? I hope he doesn't try to sign Chris Kunitz.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
You guys are really grasping at straws calling Henrique clutch. We haven't made the playoffs in 5 years. Let's be honest, Henrique played well in the postseason on a fantastic team. He had some great moments, but it was such a small sample size you can't take anything from it about his clutchness. If it was a 100 game sample size, sure, not when he's played like 20 postseason games.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
You guys are really grasping at straws calling Henrique clutch. We haven't made the playoffs in 5 years. Let's be honest, Henrique played well in the postseason on a fantastic team. He had some great moments, but it was such a small sample size you can't take anything from it about his clutchness. If it was a 100 game sample size, sure, not when he's played like 20 postseason games.

Henrique developed the reputation of being a big game player long before he ever got to the NHL because of his performances with Windsor in the playoffs and in the Memorial Cup. He followed that up with his performance in the playoffs as a rookie in 2012. He's come through with more big plays/goals/games in his time here than most other players we've had since he came in.

He's not Stevens. He's not one of great leaders or clutch players of all time. But I view labeling his reputation as myth, by-product, or fabrication more as "grasping at straws" than thinking he's a player than has shown enough in his career in hockey to show he can raise his game when it matters most. Which is not arbitrary or common.

Come mid-April, it's the most valuable character trait.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Well said. I completely agree.

Henrique is a player who will look much better when playing with skilled players. He's not going to do it all on his own and the forward groups we've had recently forced him to do that. As I keep saying, he needs to be on a line with players who drives a line and he fills in well.

Shero wants players who have tenacity and scoring ability, so who do you think he tries to sign in the free agent markets or trade from other teams? He probably tries to sign 1–3 year deals, although Shattenkirk and maybe Oshie are exceptions. Justin Williams (he probably makes contract with the Capitals), Martin Hanzal, Nick Bonino, Patrick Eaves, Mike Fisher, Brian Boyle, Danniel Winnik, Drew Stafford (his scoring ability isn't that great), or someone else? I hope he doesn't try to sign Chris Kunitz.

I do think Shero signs at least one veteran player. Not the Fiddler/Quincey level, but a solid veteran option. The thing I'm not sure at is if he goes middle-six for scoring depth (Vanek/Vrbata/etc.) or if he goes bottom-six for those identity guys like Winnik. Eaves would be an awesome acquisition at RW.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
What about Henriques regular season OT goals? Like the Nashville game last year when he tied it with a minute left in regulation then won it in OT. Or like all our rivalry games against the Rangers he always comes up big. The guy is CLUTCH. and CLUTCH is not a myth at all. Justin Williams gets paid the way he does for a reason. Henrique is just as clutch.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I don't give a crap about a regular season OT goal

honestly, it worries me that people watched Henrique all year and can say that he gave his all every night. Because he did not.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So I've been reading the last few days and thinking to myself how crazy some of you are for wanting to trade Severson. Then I see that it looks like Drouin could be available for a D.

What would you all give up for Drouin? Severson + what?

Imagine if we could add Drouin and sign Shatts...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think we are way too quick to start casting players aside.

If a good trade shows up you consider it, but trading for the sake of trading sounds like a terrible idea

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Hello Devils fans! I was hoping you could help me out with something.

I'm doing some adjustments on the rosters for my NHL 17 game. I'm currently fixing the Devils team.

This is the 23 man roster I'm going with:

Forwards: Josefson, Henrique, Zajac, Coleman, Zacha, Cammalleri, Hall, Bennett, Palmieri, Noesen, Lappin, Smith-Pelly, Blandisi, Wood
Defensemen: Lovejoy, Moore, Greene, Prout, Severson, Merrill, Santini
Goalies: Schneider, Kinkaid

Now I wonder ...

Based on this roster, how should I put together the lines and pairings to best reflect a healthy Devils lineup? Thanks.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Im of the opinion that "clutch" is by and large meaningless

That's fine. Your opinion.

But if you think that GM's/coaches in this league, and in really, any league, don't value it - that having a history of making plays when it matters; rising to the occasion and not shying away, doesn't absolutely add to a players value - you're delusional.

And there's real, valid, reason why it is valued, and will always be.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
That's fine. Your opinion.

But if you think that GM's/coaches in this league, and in really, any league, don't value it - that having a history of making plays when it matters; rising to the occasion and not shying away, doesn't absolutely add to a players value - you're delusional.

And there's real, valid, reason why it is valued, and will always be.

honestly if something that happened 5 years ago raises up his value beyond the player he actually is day in and day out (which I don't doubt I understand that GM's have a certain liking to players who carry themselves like Henrique) it'd be cool if Shero could leverage it.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Hello Devils fans! I was hoping you could help me out with something.

I'm doing some adjustments on the rosters for my NHL 17 game. I'm currently fixing the Devils team.

This is the 23 man roster I'm going with:

Forwards: Josefson, Henrique, Zajac, Coleman, Zacha, Cammalleri, Hall, Bennett, Palmieri, Noesen, Lappin, Smith-Pelly, Blandisi, Wood
Defensemen: Lovejoy, Moore, Greene, Prout, Severson, Merrill, Santini
Goalies: Schneider, Kinkaid

Now I wonder ...

Based on this roster, how should I put together the lines and pairings to best reflect a healthy Devils lineup? Thanks.

I would set it up like

Hall-Zacha-Cammalleri
Henrique-Zajac-Palmieri
Bennett-Blandisi-Noesen
Wood-Coleman-Lappin

Greene-Lovejoy
Moore - Severson
Merrill - Santini

Schneider
Kinkaid

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
6 seasons after their rookie seasons and Henrique still compares remarkably close to Landeskog.

Henrique is still 5th in goals among 2008 drafted players.

Not sure what people expect from Henrique but he's not a player I would consider trading from this team unless it was for a significant upgrade in production and I don't believe that is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad