Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Ok, so maybe Lappin is Mike Sislo..for now.....My point was that he;s been on the roster getting playing time and doing nothing...he may have more potential but that is untapped right now and he;s not showing it in the NHL...send him down and let him dominate in the AHL for a bit....

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
AZ or Carolina will...they horde all the waiver wire guys lol
I think we pick before Carolina in the order, but Arizona will probably bite first.
They would to see a line of Grant Mulvey, Jon Morris and Gary McAdam though.

Think if we could send them to 2017 in their primes, they would outscore our current bottom 6?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ok, so maybe Lappin is Mike Sislo..for now.....My point was that he;s been on the roster getting playing time and doing nothing...he may have more potential but that is untapped right now and he;s not showing it in the NHL...send him down and let him dominate in the AHL for a bit....

I think he's better than Sislo too. He was scoring a bit after first coming up, but not anymore.

The entirety of our bottom 6 is useless at offense.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think we pick before Carolina in the order, but Arizona will probably bite first.

Think if we could send them to 2017 in their primes, they would outscore our current bottom 6?

Yes they would. LOL.

Mulvey was good before he was a Devil where we got his rotted remains

Morris had good hands and skill but was Charmin soft in those days.

McAdam did a few different tours witb us.
Compares to S Gionta I guess.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I didn't expect everyone (or perhaps even anyone) to agree with the idea that Wood should be sent down. It's just funny to read a bunch of people who think Hynes should be fired or at least that he's doing a bad job and that he has no system and then read those same people defending a player who has no idea how to play within a system and who skates around trying to figure it out for 12 minutes a game. Wood definitely can make things happen like few Devils ever have, and his penalty-drawing and breakaway-generating have been a boost, but he's also sporting terrible, terrible shots against rates. I was all for the idea that he can learn up here when he was promoted, but if he doesn't start to put together a few good games in a row here, they just can't let him flail around at the NHL level. He's a smart kid and I think he'll figure it out, but I don't think people realize just how far behind he is right now.

If you want some hope, Kreider was a similar disaster in his first regular season with the Rangers.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I didn't expect everyone (or perhaps even anyone) to agree with the idea that Wood should be sent down. It's just funny to read a bunch of people who think Hynes should be fired or at least that he's doing a bad job and that he has no system and then read those same people defending a player who has no idea how to play within a system and who skates around trying to figure it out for 12 minutes a game. Wood definitely can make things happen like few Devils ever have, and his penalty-drawing and breakaway-generating have been a boost, but he's also sporting terrible, terrible shots against rates. I was all for the idea that he can learn up here when he was promoted, but if he doesn't start to put together a few good games in a row here, they just can't let him flail around at the NHL level. He's a smart kid and I think he'll figure it out, but I don't think people realize just how far behind he is right now.

If you want some hope, Kreider was a similar disaster in his first regular season with the Rangers.

I believe most know how far behind he is. You can see it most of the time. However with how the last month of Devils hockey has been he brings some level of excitement to something that has not been exciting. I believe if we were winning like we were in the first part of the season people would be calling for Wood to be sent down because, well we would be winning and more exciting.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It makes sense he is far behind as well. Kid is barely out of prep-school. I would be in favor of a Wood/JQ swap if he doesn't show some improvement in other aspects of his game soon.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wood hasn't been awful, I just think he has more to give later on down the road and perhaps a higher ceiling than what we've seen. So it's probably better to let him develop more in the AHL.

But frickin Gazdic needs to go first. And while we're at it, send Helgeson right back in the direction where he came from.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Anyone have any idea what the plan with Blandisi is? I mean it looks like they are just letting him stay in the A and get minutes. We have called up and worked thru a lot of forwards and not even sniffed Blandisi yet. You would think that with the teams lack of offense and creativity Blandisi would be one of the first guys they would call up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Anyone have any idea what the plan with Blandisi is? I mean it looks like they are just letting him stay in the A and get minutes. We have called up and worked thru a lot of forwards and not even sniffed Blandisi yet. You would think that with the teams lack of offense and creativity Blandisi would be one of the first guys they would call up.

He is hurt. He also was very loose in the defensive zone last year, and poor defensive play has been a much bigger issue with this team this year.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
He is hurt. He also was very loose in the defensive zone last year, and poor defensive play has been a much bigger issue with this team this year.

Yea i just realized he was hurt about 15 minutes ago.

Yes he was and he needed to learn. However when i posted that i was figuring he had been playing all season and was wondering if he made any progress. The defensive side is always harder to learn and takes more time. Sometimes you just have to learn by playing and that even means in the NHL level when we need offense. He was a threat more often then not last year and Im sure we can using is playmaking ability.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was thinking of making a poll but want to wait until the halfway point....Anyway here is the question:

Which Pro prospect do you think has been the best/most promising half way through the season -

Some nominees -

Zacha, Auvitu, Lappin, Wood, Santini, Quenneville, Pietila, Blandisi, Coleman, Appleby, Blackwood, Speers* (not a pro prospect but played in the NHL this season) - Maybe someone else?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

This is a perfectly reasonable position to take.

I think Devil X hit it on the head - Wood is a really exciting player. A great guy to watch, even when he is running around like a chicken with his head cut off. So people are very hesitant to admit that his actual play has been less than stellar.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I was thinking of making a poll but want to wait until the halfway point....Anyway here is the question:

Which Pro prospect do you think has been the best/most promising half way through the season -

Some nominees -

Zacha, Auvitu, Lappin, Wood, Santini, Quenneville, Pietila, Blandisi, Coleman, Appleby, Blackwood, Speers* (not a pro prospect but played in the NHL this season) - Maybe someone else?

You can eliminate Auvitu, Lappin, Pietila, Blandisi, Coleman, Appleby, Blackwood and Speers (for injury purposes, but I love the player).

Way too difficult to evaluate the remaining group when they're all playing at different levels. I would lean towards Quenneville based on point production, but he's lining up against the likes of Paul Bissonette and Tom Kostopolous while Zacha is on the ice against Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. I would also say Santini, but two games is a tiny sample size and it's almost impossible to track the performance of a defensive defenseman in the minors.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You can eliminate Auvitu, Lappin, Pietila, Blandisi, Coleman, Appleby, Blackwood and Speers (for injury purposes, but I love the player).

Way too difficult to evaluate the remaining group when they're all playing at different levels. I would lean towards Quenneville based on point production, but he's lining up against the likes of Paul Bissonette and Tom Kostopolous while Zacha is on the ice against Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. I would also say Santini, but two games is a tiny sample size and it's almost impossible to track the performance of a defensive defenseman in the minors.

Not making a case for anyone, just saying.....

Both Coleman and Pietila are top 20 in the AHL in goal scoring.

Appleby has a 1.84 GAA and a .928 SV% -- Appleby has been pretty damn impressive.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Same lines in practice today minus Lappin (sick). Powerplay units are different. Greene not there as expected.

Cammalleri Henrique Palmieri
Hall Zacha Parenteau
Kalinin Zajac Gazdic (Lappin)
Wood DSP Bennett

Per AG

Some changes to PP units:
Zacha-Severson, PAP-Henrique-Cammy
and
Palmieri-Quincey, Hall-Zajac-Wood

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I like the changes to the powerplay.

Not sure I like who Zajac has on his wings. I know this is a result of Zacha getting time with Hall and Parenteau... but how is Zajac going to get out of the goal scoring slump he's in with Kalinin, Gazdic, and Lappin on the wings?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I like the changes to the powerplay.

Not sure I like who Zajac has on his wings. I know this is a result of Zacha getting time with Hall and Parenteau... but how is Zajac going to get out of the goal scoring slump he's in with Kalinin, Gazdic, and Lappin on the wings?

Obviously Gazdic is just a practice placeholder, would rather see Bennett Zajac Lappin as a checking line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad