Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Should have added this earlier for a little context to those quotes per AG:

Shero said he warned all of the players on Day 1 of training camp that this season would be tougher than the last, partly because of the relative success they had in establishing a hardworking identity in NHL circles last season.

But Shero also noted the loss of blue-collar players such as Bobby Farnham, Stephen Gionta, Jordin Tootoo and Tuomo Ruutu from last season’s squad.

“Last year was easy,†Shero said he told the group in training camp. “Trust me, this is going to be a test, because while I do think we have better talent, if we lose an ounce of that work ethic, we are in trouble. Because skill is going to get you so far. Will is the other part, which those guys brought.â€

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
“They don’t have to score,” Shero said. [Palmieri and Henrique] “They do have to play a certain way. They do have to have a certain commitment all over the ice. I can’t rely on [rookie] Miles Wood, who’s two years out of prep hockey, to make a difference. Thank God he is, I guess, to a certain extent.

This is quite telling. And if it continues after being publicly called out, no one should be surprised if they are moved.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
This is quite telling. And if it continues after being publicly called out, no one should be surprised if they are moved.

Henriqe deserves it as much as anyone on the team. Palmieri when not scoring this year has at times at least looked like he was working his ass off to get to pucks and hit or drive the net. Henrique when not scoring usually looks like he is coasting and lost.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Only this team could consider saying adieu to the likes of Tootoo, Farnham, and Stephen Gionta a loss.

The whole was worse than the sum of its parts. The line had to go. Gionta definitely had to go and Tootoo also. Farnham brought a certain element to the game. Who would you rather have on the ice right now, Farnham or DSP?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Henriqe deserves it as much as anyone on the team. Palmieri when not scoring this year has at times at least looked like he was working his ass off to get to pucks and hit or drive the net. Henrique when not scoring usually looks like he is coasting and lost.

I agree, I don't think Palmieri is coasting out there either. He's laid some big hits and looks to be trying. He's just not hitting the net enough and isn't getting good shots off like last year. Henrique doesn't even look interested most games. I've lost a ton of respect for the guy to be honest.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I agree, I don't think Palmieri is coasting out there either. He's laid some big hits and looks to be trying. He's just not hitting the net enough and isn't getting good shots off like last year. Henrique doesn't even look interested most games. I've lost a ton of respect for the guy to be honest.

I agree. IDK if Palms needs to try a new stick (flex / length) or a different type of curve on his blade, but he's gotta try something different because his shot was so much better last year. Another thing is, he also looks a bit slower than last year. He does have his moments of getting a burst of speed and getting around players and driving the net, but it's not as consistent as last year.

If I had to choose between those two to keep and trade, I'd keep Palms and trade Henrique.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Palmieri was deadly on the PP last season in large part because he always seemed to be open just at the top of the faceoff circle. I think teams are more aware this season so the opportunities aren't as great and when they are defenses are able to collapse more quickly on him.

At least Palmieri still throws the body around. Henrique? Nope. I seriously question whether Henrique is in pouting mode since the signing of Hall and all of the attention it received. It kind of pushed him to the background and was no longer the obvious face of the franchise.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The whole was worse than the sum of its parts. The line had to go. Gionta definitely had to go and Tootoo also. Farnham brought a certain element to the game. Who would you rather have on the ice right now, Farnham or DSP?

I didn't really mind Farnham that much, to be honest, but I just don't think that the loss of fourth liners should be a devastating blow to a team. Something is deeply wrong with this team if that is the case, or maybe this is just a convenient excuse by Shero, I don't know.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shero could have re-signed any of those guys if he really wanted to, so that's on him if he think we need those guys and regrets losing them.

In actuality, I don't think he really has any remorse about not re-signing any of those guys. I think he knows they aren't any good and aside from Farnham, he inherited the other guys from when he came in and just let their contracts expire. Most of them are not even in the NHL this season. Gionta was just signed to a two way contract by the Islanders after being in the AHL all season, Ruutu is playing in Europe, Farnham has been playing for the Canadiens AHL team and Tootoo has been relegated to complete goon status with the Blackhawks and with a little over 6 minutes in ice time per game.

Tootoo has 0 points in 27 games this year and 6:49 of ice time per game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He does have remorse for how crazy soft the team is.

A coach and GM prefer guys who are going to give it their all every night no matter the skill level over higher skill players half assing it.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Talk is cheap. Shero will have to make some kind of move soon if things don't change. There are times you need to send a message to shake up the team. Me personally, I hope they stay the same for the rest of the season.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I believe it is. It isn't 100% on him. The players need to have some accountability of their own, the captain most of all.

Agreed Hynes isn't solely to blame, but I don't think it's all on the players, either, since it's a coach's job to motivate them and hold them accountable. Reminds me of Shero's excessive attachment to Bylsma.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agreed Hynes isn't solely to blame, but I don't think it's all on the players, either, since it's a coach's job to motivate them and hold them accountable. Reminds me of Shero's excessive attachment to Bylsma.

We are no where near that point.

We are at about the 110 game mark of Hynes's tenure. And really only the last 15 or so games have been what you'd call dissapointing. Previous to that I think most would have said Hynes was doing a good job.

Granted the wheels have come off over the last 10 games, buts "excessive attachment"? Nah.

I'm alright with letting Hynes try and figure this thing out. How much longer? I'd say that depends on how they play in the upcoming games.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

Their motivation should be the MILLIONS of dollars they get paid to play a kids game. Henrique gets paid more for 60 minutes of work than I do all year.

While I don't agree with the NFL very much, the fact that teams could just cut a guy any day keeps them motivated. Maybe that's what other leagues need to adopt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad