Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Derrick Pouillot. And every other marginal NHLer Shero drafted.

I actually like Pouillot. Basically a Bennett who can produce 30pts.

Edit: massive brain fart, I'm talking about Benoit Pouliot :help:

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually like Pouillot. Basically a Bennett who can produce 30pts.

To be fair to Bennett though, he pretty much was a 30-ish point guy before this season.

He never scored 30 points in a season, but his season high in games played was 49 in 14-15. In fact, he's already had his second most games played in an NHL season this year with 35.

But He had 45 points in 129 games as a Penguin, which would be 29 points per 82. Although his best point producing season was 12-13 when he scored 14 points in 26 games.

kiwidevil

Pouilot played 34 NHL games to seasons ago. Has played 29 since.

He's a very common bottom pairing Dman, like a Moore.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
The New Jersey Devils are an intriguing team ahead of the March 1 trade deadline and beyond. They're one of the very few teams in the league with lots of salary cap space plus they've got 18 draft picks at their disposal over the next two years, including four second-rounders and four third-rounders. Between the cap space and the picks, I believe the Devils plan to use that as assets to try and pry a good player or two from teams that are cap-strung and may be having issues re-signing some guys. I'm not saying there's another Taylor Hall out there for the Devils but certainly, GM Ray Shero has some assets at his disposal whether it's before March 1 or in the off-season to try and upgrade his team.

per lebrun

So many people are too dumb to realize what a great position we're in right now. They should be thankful that Shero is rebuilding properly but instead everyone is calling for people's heads. Makes me laugh out loud.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
The New Jersey Devils are an intriguing team ahead of the March 1 trade deadline and beyond. They're one of the very few teams in the league with lots of salary cap space plus they've got 18 draft picks at their disposal over the next two years, including four second-rounders and four third-rounders. Between the cap space and the picks, I believe the Devils plan to use that as assets to try and pry a good player or two from teams that are cap-strung and may be having issues re-signing some guys. I'm not saying there's another Taylor Hall out there for the Devils but certainly, GM Ray Shero has some assets at his disposal whether it's before March 1 or in the off-season to try and upgrade his team.

per lebrun

That makes me feel a lot better, actually.

Perspective! :handclap:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
saying we have four 2nds and four 3rds in the next 2 years isn't really true unless we still have our pick from the Ruutu trade. I thought that multiple people (including all the cap sites) have said its gone

Regardless, we're in good shape pick-wise/cap-wise. Hopefully Shero can take advantage.

Also, that pick we got for Gelinas looks REALLY good right now lol

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
saying we have four 2nds and four 3rds in the next 2 years isn't really true unless we still have our pick from the Ruutu trade. I thought that multiple people (including all the cap sites) have said its gone

Regardless, we're in good shape pick-wise/cap-wise. Hopefully Shero can take advantage.

Also, that pick we got for Gelinas looks REALLY good right now lol

basically a late 2nd the way it stands now

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
So many people are too dumb to realize what a great position we're in right now. They should be thankful that Shero is rebuilding properly but instead everyone is calling for people's heads. Makes me laugh out loud.

great position salary cap wise/draft picks. not that great in terms of actual NHL talent. but yeah anyone calling for Shero's head less than 2 years in doesn't really understand that most of the problems stem from the previous regime. No GM would have been able to fix this team barring some lottery luck would have been able to do so. Glad that he has a long term view and won't sellout to get into the playoffs.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Combine what Lebrun just said with what ZBC said a couple days ago. Keep in mind this is not considering any outside trades, UFA signings, the 2016 draft class or any future draft picks: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=126682391&postcount=885

Devils are in terrific shape right now. This "blow it up" nonsense that has been spewed around here of late is ridiculous.

Devils still need either Zacha and or someone they get from the 2017 draft to develop into a 1C. Still need a top pairing defenseman. They aren't in bad shape at all future wise but there's a lot of work ahead--it's not a band-aid job. That's the good thing about ownership though, people can hate on them for all the changes or whatever but at least they aren't pushing Shero to sell the future in hopes for a playoff run.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils still need either Zacha and or someone they get from the 2017 draft to develop into a 1C. Still need a top pairing defenseman. They aren't in bad shape at all future wise but there's a lot of work ahead--it's not a band-aid job. That's the good thing about ownership though, people can hate on them for all the changes or whatever but at least they aren't pushing Shero to sell the future in hopes for a playoff run.

But we have pieces to make a trade. Cap space and long term cap flexibility, a ton of forward prospects, and extra seconds and thirds.

My hope is that this team tanks enough to get us an additional high end forward prospect. If we can do that, add a defender via trade, and sign one of the better defenders this offseason, the team will be set up very well for the future.

To go further, I'm hoping we can get another strong center prospect. If we can get a center from the 2017 pick competing with Zacha for the top two center spots long term, we can push Zajac to 3C until McLeod is ready to take over. In addition, it would allow us to move Henrique to LW where he should fit much better.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I think fans are concerning themselves over what needs to be done and if it will be. Organizationally, we're much better off than we were a few years ago. However, we need a few things to go our way. We need prospects to develop. We don't have the depth to sustain winning during performance drop-offs and injuries. We need to sign a free agent or two that fills a glaring need. We need to turn the assets into the right pieces. I think the freak out is because we're losing badly (obviously) and there isn't much high end talent in the organization. Plus, we don't have a particularly highly-rated draft coming up where the team can rest easy "knowing" a top flight addition is guaranteed. We are well-positioned as LeBrun states but Shero, Castron, Hynes, and our development personnel have to earn their paychecks.

I'm not putting any of this on Zacha. I liked him as the pick and I'm not worried about him or his upside. I just wonder if he was putting up more points if people would be a little more at ease about the future.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
But we have pieces to make a trade. Cap space and long term cap flexibility, a ton of forward prospects, and extra seconds and thirds.

My hope is that this team tanks enough to get us an additional high end forward prospect. If we can do that, add a defender via trade, and sign one of the better defenders this offseason, the team will be set up very well for the future.

To go further, I'm hoping we can get another strong center prospect. If we can get a center from the 2017 pick competing with Zacha for the top two center spots long term, we can push Zajac to 3C until McLeod is ready to take over. In addition, it would allow us to move Henrique to LW where he should fit much better.

Getting Patrick would be huge for the organization. We'd have Patrick-Zacha-McLeod (presumably) down the middle for a long time. We have a lot of the forward pieces to fit around them. With our cap space and tradable assets filling in the few remaining holes would be a matter of when and how not if.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I think fans are concerning themselves over what needs to be done and if it will be. Organizationally, we're much better off than we were a few years ago. However, we need a few things to go our way. We need prospects to develop. We don't have the depth to sustain winning during performance drop-offs and injuries. We need to sign a free agent or two that fills a glaring need. We need to turn the assets into the right pieces. I think the freak out is because we're losing badly (obviously) and there isn't much high end talent in the organization. Plus, we don't have a particularly highly-rated draft coming up where the team can rest easy "knowing" a top flight addition is guaranteed. We are well-positioned as LeBrun states but Shero, Castron, Hynes, and our development personnel have to earn their paychecks.

I'm not putting any of this on Zacha. I liked him as the pick and I'm not worried about him or his upside. I just wonder if he was putting up more points if people would be a little more at ease about the future.

As a 19 year old, I'd rather we teach him the proper way to play at the NHL level over him racking up some pts but playing the "wrong way".

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Getting Patrick would be huge for the organization. We'd have Patrick-Zacha-McLeod (presumably) down the middle for a long time. We have a lot of the forward pieces to fit around them. With our cap space and tradable assets filling in the few remaining holes would be a matter of when and how not if.

hischier would be fine too. Hischier-Zacha down the middle and that's without any prospects surprising which has to be happen at some point for the devils lol. And you're right about Zacha, I'd be happy if the turns out to be a top 6 center and I'm fine with the pick. What I was saying is that the Devils need someone to develop into that role.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
As a 19 year old, I'd rather we teach him the proper way to play at the NHL level over him racking up some pts but playing the "wrong way".

I'm not advocating that at all, I agree with you. Let him develop at his own pace. That's why I said I'm not putting any of it on him. I just wonder if certain perceptions of the team would be different. It's about certain fans, not him.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
hischier would be fine too. Hischier-Zacha down the middle and that's without any prospects surprising which has to be happen at some point for the devils lol

We are due aren't we? Wood becomes a reliable force in the midfle6? Bastian, Quenneville, and Speers develop nicely and compete for top6 jobs? Gignac comes out of nowhere and blows everyone away?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
hischier would be fine too. Hischier-Zacha down the middle and that's without any prospects surprising which has to be happen at some point for the devils lol. And you're right about Zacha, I'd be happy if the turns out to be a top 6 center and I'm fine with the pick. What I was saying is that the Devils need someone to develop into that role.

I really like Hischier a lot and I think he fits the team identity very very well. With his speed and scoring might he better transition better to the wing in the pros?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm not advocating that at all, I agree with you. Let him develop at his own pace. That's why I said I'm not putting any of it on him. I just wonder if certain perceptions of the team would be different. It's about certain fans, not him.

We'd see the same posters complain regardless, I'm almost certain of that.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

They absolutely do. I don't think they can go out and get 2 top centers. I still think Zacha has 1C upside, we'd be in great shape if the team can acquire another C that keeps him on the second line.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
nah I think Hischier would be fine in the middle. His awareness and vision on top of his actual skills I think will keep him at center. he's not really that small either 6'0 and 175lb is fine for someone who is 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad