Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
To continue from the last thread.

Bennett... and scoring... is lol too!
He's almost Josefson bad, but without the shootout prowess.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Why was the idea of Bennett on a checking line funny? The only good thing he does is help play go forward. Guy can't score to save his life so why wouldn't you want him on a checking line with Zajac and Lappin? Weird.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Why was the idea of Bennett on a checking line funny? The only good thing he does is help play go forward. Guy can't score to save his life so why wouldn't you want him on a checking line with Zajac and Lappin? Weird.

I focused on Bennett and checking. Like Bennett actually checking someone. That was the lulz

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I see little value to Bennett and yes I know the possession numbers. He's like Josefson's long lost brother.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Bennett is also much better than Josefson. If he were shooting at his career average there'd be no complaints about him.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Bennett's career shooting percentage is 7.3% vs Josefson's 6.3%. That's not that much better. He'd have 4 goals this year vs. 2. I'd still be complaining.

EDIT. 5 goals. I should have removed the 58 shots this year from the total. If we are ignoring his plugginess this year. Prior to this year his shooting percentage was 8.4%. Josefson is 6.6%

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
point of information; when Bennett was first drafted, most teams would of moved him to center ("where his skills would be best utilized.) it was the pen's, so I can see why it didn't happen. then he ran into a string of fluke injuries so much so that instead of playing the game. he is waiting for the next shoe to fall. (as soon as he started to play good he got hurt again) I root for the kid just because he didn't quit. most would have. imo I think this has been the longest he's gone without an injury. I thought that if he could play for any length of time, he would start to produce. we saw glimpses of it but as soon as we did he would be hurt again. sad to see it doesn't seem to be happing. but after what the kid's been through, he's my horse even if he never wins another race. :)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bennett is also much better than Josefson. If he were shooting at his career average there'd be no complaints about him.

His career Shooting percentage is 7.3% - that is an additional 2 goals with the 58 shots he has.

Even if you are talking about his career shooting percentage before he got here of 8.4% that is still only 4.872 --

Am I missing something?

This is a guy that is getting a regular shift averaging 13:37 over 33 games and has 2 goals and 8 points. That is abysmal and that has really been the history of his career. I don't think an additional 2 goals would change that? They are over using Bennett EXACTLY the way they overused Josefson last year. A guy getting that much time and producing that little is just not right regardless of what the underlying numbers are.

EDIT: And I would actually understand it if he were being used as a RW because of the lack of depth there but the majority of the time he's been on the left side.

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I like Bennett. He's perfectly fine in the bottom 6. He controls and passes the puck well and skates quite well.

Plus, the guy really hasn't played much hockey with all his injuries. If gets through the season without a major injury that's a plus rights there. I give him a mulligan this year and bring him back. Next season I want to see more production.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
His career Shooting percentage is 7.3% - that is an additional 2 goals with the 58 shots he has.

Even if you are talking about his career shooting percentage before he got here of 8.4% that is still only 4.872 --

Am I missing something?

This is a guy that is getting a regular shift averaging 13:37 over 33 games and has 2 goals and 8 points. That is abysmal and that has really been the history of his career. I don't think an additional 2 goals would change that? They are over using Bennett EXACTLY the way they overused Josefson last year. A guy getting that much time and producing that little is just not right regardless of what the underlying numbers are.

EDIT: And I would actually understand it if he were being used as a RW because of the lack of depth there but the majority of the time he's been on the left side.

Yawn. It's nowhere close to his career numbers. He's at 1.14 P/60 at ES over the last 4 seasons (which include this one). Get him some linemates that can finish and he'll have better boxcar stats, but players who play 13 minutes a game and average 1.5 P/60 still only end up with 26 ES points. Given what has skated down there the last few seasons, Bennett is a large improvement.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I like Bennett. He's perfectly fine in the bottom 6. He controls and passes the puck well and skates quite well.

i don't mind bennett he usually always makes the right play when the puck is on his stick... there is also a decent skill set there... no the numbers have not been there but he is playing ok in my opinion.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bennett is much better than Zharkov.

Zharkov would have Bennett's career numbers if he was a first-rounder in Pittsburgh starting his career playing in the top six with Malkin and Crosby.

Comparing him to Zharkov isn't entirely an insult either, both are guys who frustrate you cause they do the little things to get in the right position and should score more but their hockey sense, playmaking, whatever, doesn't ever translate to results.

I kind of miss Zharkov. He couldn't score worth **** though :laugh:

We'll say the same thing about BB in two years :P

I'd prefer Bennett to Josefson for the 65 hockey minutes in a game. I'd prefer him to Kalinin too. But I don't think his results are much better than that.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Zharkov would have Bennett's career numbers if he was a first-rounder in Pittsburgh starting his career playing in the top six with Malkin and Crosby.

BB barely played with those guys, correct? And I'm not sure what being a first round pick has to do with anything. Bennett has produced more than Zharkov because he's clearly the better player.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
BB barely played with those guys, correct? And I'm not sure what being a first round pick has to do with anything. Bennett has produced more than Zharkov because he's clearly the better player.

You get chances playing in the top six if you're a first-rounder and you're on a team that at the time was perpetually looking for wingers to play with 87 and 71.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

Comparing him to Zharkov isn't entirely an insult either, both are guys who frustrate you cause they do the little things to get in the right position and should score more but their hockey sense, playmaking, whatever, doesn't ever translate to results.

We'll say the same thing about BB in two years :P

I'd prefer Bennett to Josefson for the 65 hockey minutes in a game. I'd prefer him to Kalinin too. But I don't think his results are much better than that.

-Bennett has played 1,520 ES minutes since 2013. 212 of them (14%) have been with Crosby. 147 (10%) have been with Malkin. His most common linemates in that span are Brandon Sutter (375 minutes - 25%), Chris Kunitz (267 minutes - 18%) and Nick Spaling (220 - 14%). The idea that he's been playing most of his career in the top six with Crosby and Malkin is wrong.

-In that span, Bennett's at 1.14 ESP/60 and 0.47 ESG/60. Not great numbers by any means, but here are Josefson's: 0.37 ESP/60 and 0.15/ESG.

Bennett is a much better offensive player than Josefson. He deserves more than 30 games before he gets written off, especially when he's been a strong possession player in that time and has created a lot of chances.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Bennett didn't really get that much ice time with Pittsburgh. He averaged over 13 minutes per game just one season (and he only played 21 games that year).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We can do much worse than Beau Bennett. If he doesn't step his game up then I don't bring him back next year, but now that you have him he needs to be playing over guys like Kalinin, Gazdic, Josefson, and DSP. He's a far better option than all of them.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
We can do much worse than Beau Bennett. If he doesn't step his game up then I don't bring him back next year, but now that you have him he needs to be playing over guys like Kalinin, Gazdic, Josefson, and DSP. He's a far better option than all of them.

The problem for us is that we always have too many Bennett-types. I.E. Guys who have some positive qualities but don't get it done on the scoresheet. You just can't have the majority of your 3rd/4th liners putting up 5 goals and 11 assists for an entire season. Great teams can tolerate a Bennett or two because of what else they might bring to the table but we nitpick these guys to death looking for more because the last several years we've been too thin offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad