Post-Game Talk: Devil VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Nothing officially named as far as I can tell, but Ullmark was last off the ice for the AM skate.

I wonder if Ullmark is hurt!

Reactions: bl02

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Ray was one of my favorite hockey personalities & color guys until he got paired with McDonagh. I don't know if they've been fed an agenda from the league & ESPN, or if he's feeding off McDonagh's inferior hockey knowledge, but the two of them together have been a horrid combination. Add in Emily Kaplan, plus PK during intermissions & you have an entire broadcast that's more enjoyable with no sound.

it's funny i like the 2 of them individually but the broadcast somehow does not function as a complement to either. i don't think it's that awful, but i understand/respect anyone's opinion on it. everyone has their own preferences with broadcasts and likes/dislikes, i just don't agree when people say ferraro hates on the rangers and never says anything good about them etc...its funny if you look around the league almost every fanbase has people that say that about their own team. if anything, in that respect, it's a pretty good sign of someone who's generally pretty impartial. as far as his style and the broadcast as a whole though, i get people not enjoying it.

as far as emily, she's someone i've come around quite a bit on. it's not that she's amazing, but she's gotten outsized attention, and i remember early on she looked like she was in way over her head. i mean she's obviously not someone who played / knows the game at a really high level and that's gonna turn some people off which is fair. i just think she really makes an effort to improve. she's definitely come a long way so you know she's invested herself and tries to bring something personal to the broadcast - that's something i appreciate in people. not everyone is going to be the best to ever do it in any job, but i respect people that make a genuine effort to work at their craft and care enough to try and be great. where that lands might not suit everyone, but i just can't hate that quality.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Ray was one of my favorite hockey personalities & color guys until he got paired with McDonagh. I don't know if they've been fed an agenda from the league & ESPN, or if he's feeding off McDonagh's inferior hockey knowledge, but the two of them together have been a horrid combination. Add in Emily Kaplan, plus PK during intermissions & you have an entire broadcast that's more enjoyable with no sound.

Because of this, I'm going to buy a Cameo from Emily and have it delivered to you.

Reactions: bhamill and Atax

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
it's funny i like the 2 of them individually but the broadcast somehow does not function as a complement to either. i don't think it's that awful, but i understand/respect anyone's opinion on it. everyone has their own preferences with broadcasts and likes/dislikes, i just don't agree when people say ferraro hates on the rangers and never says anything good about them etc...its funny if you look around the league almost every fanbase has people that say that about their own team. if anything, in that respect, it's a pretty good sign of someone who's generally pretty impartial. as far as his style and the broadcast as a whole though, i get people not enjoying it.

as far as emily, she's someone i've come around quite a bit on. it's not that she's amazing, but she's gotten outsized attention, and i remember early on she looked like she was in way over her head. i mean she's obviously not someone who played / knows the game at a really high level and that's gonna turn some people off which is fair. i just think she really makes an effort to improve. she's definitely come a long way so you know she's invested herself and tries to bring something personal to the broadcast - that's something i appreciate in people. not everyone is going to be the best to ever do it in any job, but i respect people that make a genuine effort to work at their craft and care enough to try and be great. where that lands might not suit everyone, but i just can't hate that quality.
Yeah I don't get the Emily hate. You can tell she puts in the work.

Reactions: bhamill and 2014nyr

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Honestly don't know how or why this team has developed this passing mentality to find the most perfect shots. Even when we're down and struggling to put pucks on the net, if we're in the slot we defer for a pass. I wonder if GG ever says anything to the team about overpassing, because fans, analysis, and my dead ranger fan grandparents continue to scream for this team to put pucks on the net and create some, any type of chaos.
its maddening. I realize that Gallant is a "player coach" but does him and his staff plan on saying.. "hey fellas, can we just get some traffic in front, and some hard shots on net so we can get a goal here?" There's a time for finesse and a time for greasy goals.

I get it that Panarin is frustrated because his game doesn't translate well to the playoffs.. but isn't that the point? He's getting paid an awful alot of $, to adapt... Time to ADAPT!

Reactions: ReddestRum

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
This is a better option than LTIR
Can a recovering player be signed and then placed on LTIR? I did a search and saw nothing that prohibited this. So potentially we could use both the older player bonus contract AND LTIR…

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Ray and Emily are fine. The weak link is McDonough. He’s absolutely brutal doing PBP for hockey. Has zero feel for the pace, raises his voice at weird times, undersells virtually all of his goal calls despite screaming. It’s just weird, he sucks. Ferraro has been great as a color guy his whole career so I’m willing to say that him not being great on ESPN is directly a result of being paired with McDonough.

Nyr88nyg

Oct 31, 2016
I think it's more about Tarasenko.

He's a must sign. Even if they ship off Panarin. I dont know how that affect it though
Tank has always been a playoff horse. Panarin always a playoff no show. Why tf was panarin on the top line for 6 games? It’s not he was doing anything in the first two wins.

Reactions: The Gloaming

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Has a Vezina winner ever lost the starting job during the playoffs?

Haha, I hope Florida lights him up.

Can a recovering player be signed and then placed on LTIR? I did a search and saw nothing that prohibited this. So potentially we could use both the older player bonus contract AND LTIR…

I would think if they signed him and then he had surgery, or whatever, then it wouldn't be an issue.

One of my favorite moments of last night: Trouba saying: "Get out of my way, you little flea!"

Er.... probably used different language I would think. ;)

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
CAN WE PLEASE TAKE TROUBA OFF OF PP2.

SERIOUSLY.

does everyone realize how he vacates the blueline because he's so slow? So he has to preemptively get back so he doesn't get beat.

I just do not get what they see in Trouba offensively. KAM is better in every aspect and would help tremendously with getting the puck up ice and adds great mobility on the blue line. It's truly mind boggling. His shot is better. His passing is better. His skating is infinitely better. His vision is better.

As soon as you see Trouba come on the ice, you instantly know, nothing is going to happen... With Kane on PP2 now, it could be productive if KAM was there.

Last edited:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
It's been pretty amazing how much this series has come down to goaltending and netfront. When we finally crashed the net and did our best to take away Schmid's eyes, we broke through. On the other end, Shesty had to make saves and more high danger shots than Schmid, but when Shesty sees the shots, which he saw most, he's very hard to beat. The most promising sign in that whole game last night were the repeated efforts of our forwards to get to the crease. There was one play where Laffy fell on top of Schmid after the whistle and though it seemed like nothing it was an important sign that the team understand its task.

Conversely, the Rangers did a very good job of blocking shots directed towards the net when there was a lot of traffic in front of Shesty. They need to keep doing that if they want to come away with a victory in game seven. But this series really is just going to boil down to: who puts more shots on goal while taking away the goalie's eyes. Devils first goal, the rebound by Lazar, was a great example of this. Shesty didn't see the initial shot, kicked out the rebound using his reflexes, puck goes right to Lazar and in. If we allow Shesty to see the shots, and block those who won't see cleanly, our chances of winning go up dramatically. And as evidenced by last night's game, even if the high danger shots are lopsided in the opponent's favor, Shesty is that good if he's allowed to see it. (Of course, wide open chances from inside the slot can go still beat any goalie).

Re: Panarin, he scored a few PP goals more recently where he comes off the wall on his off-wing, steps to the inside the dot and fires it short side 1-2 feet off the ice. If there's even a moderate screen that shot is incredibly dangerous. Jack Hughes scored a PP goal on Shesty doing the same exact play. I haven't hated Panarin's overall game. He's made fewer glaring mistakes and has been more willing than most of the high skilled vets on the forecheck. I just think he's pressing too much and when he does that, he over-complicates matters. I just want him to shoot decisively and confidently.

I think Kakko has looked pretty good, but he's gotta play with a bit more jump in his game. We need him in game 7 to make a few big plays.

I like the PP1 better with Kane off it. They defer to Kane too much. PP2 continues to have really poor puck retrieval. And Trouba is just not very good at anticipating and keeping pucks in.

I dunno what's going to happen in game 7. But if we focus on crashing the net hard and making sure Shesty can see the shots then we have just as much a chance to win as the Devils, if not more.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Even as someone who agrees with a lot of Gallant's lineup decisions, this is the one that baffles me.

Miller just put up 40 points at even strength- and this wasn't a Nick Holden esque fluke either. He's the obvious choice. Heck I'd rather go 5 forwards with Trocheck at the point than keep throwing Troubs out there.

SERIOUSLY.

does everyone realize how he vacates the blueline because he's so slow? So he has to preemptively get back so he doesn't get beat.

I just do not get what they see in Trouba offensively. KAM is better in every aspect and would help tremendously with getting the puck up ice and adds great mobility on the blue line. It's truly mind boggling. His shot is better. His passing is better. His skating is infinitely better. His vision is better.

As soon as you see Trouba come on the ice, you instantly know, there's a great chance nothing is going to happen...

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

SERIOUSLY.

As soon as you see Trouba come on the ice, you instantly know, nothing is going to happen... With Kane on PP2 now, it could be productive if KAM was there.
I agree with your assessment of Trouba. I want to agree with you about KAM, but if this year has taught us anything about where his game is at, it's that when he simplifies his game and is hard on the puck, he can get himself into a groove. But then, as he gains confidence, he starts to over-extend himself, he over-handles the puck, misreads plays and is prone to coughing up the puck in inopportune spots. I think, maybe eventually he can become a good PP2 option, but I don't trust him back there yet. Not in a must win game. I really don't think we have a great non-Fox option right now. And it shows.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I agree with your assessment of Trouba. I want to agree with you about KAM, but if this year has taught us anything about where his game is at, it's that when he simplifies his game and is hard on the puck, he can get himself into a groove. But then, as he gains confidence, he starts to over-extend himself, he over-handles the puck, misreads plays and is prone to coughing up the puck in inopportune spots. I think, maybe eventually he can become a good PP2 option, but I don't trust him back there yet. Not in a must win game. I really don't think we have a great non-Fox option right now. And it shows.
Trouba has cost us way more on PP2 than he's produced. Especially in the playoffs, going back to last year.

I can understand the criticisms of KAM at even strength and especially over the past 10 or so games... he hasn't looked like himself.... but on PP2? It's a no brainer.

If you're not going to give Fox the 2 minutes, it needs to be KAM.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Panarin was excellent in the playoffs for Columbus.
That goal vs the Caps where he drops the shoulder on the outside and does a quick backhand forehand flick top shelf is a thing of beauty. He has never tried to beat a dman wide once. always curls back and its so predictable.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX

SERIOUSLY.

Funny how Larry suggested moving Trouba up to PP1 in place of Fox because Trouba shoots.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gloaming

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
That goal vs the Caps where he drops the shoulder on the outside and does a quick backhand forehand flick top shelf is a thing of beauty. He has never tried to beat a dman wide once. always curls back and its so predictable.
He doesn’t have the speed anymore to beat any DMan wide. He knows it and they know it.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's been pretty amazing how much this series has come down to goaltending and netfront. When we finally crashed the net and did our best to take away Schmid's eyes, we broke through. On the other end, Shesty had to make saves and more high danger shots than Schmid, but when Shesty sees the shots, which he saw most, he's very hard to beat. The most promising sign in that whole game last night were the repeated efforts of our forwards to get to the crease. There was one play where Laffy fell on top of Schmid after the whistle and though it seemed like nothing it was an important sign that the team understand its task.

Conversely, the Rangers did a very good job of blocking shots directed towards the net when there was a lot of traffic in front of Shesty. They need to keep doing that if they want to come away with a victory in game seven. But this series really is just going to boil down to: who puts more shots on goal while taking away the goalie's eyes. Devils first goal, the rebound by Lazar, was a great example of this. Shesty didn't see the initial shot, kicked out the rebound using his reflexes, puck goes right to Lazar and in. If we allow Shesty to see the shots, and block those who won't see cleanly, our chances of winning go up dramatically. And as evidenced by last night's game, even if the high danger shots are lopsided in the opponent's favor, Shesty is that good if he's allowed to see it. (Of course, wide open chances from inside the slot can go still beat any goalie).

Re: Panarin, he scored a few PP goals more recently where he comes off the wall on his off-wing, steps to the inside the dot and fires it short side 1-2 feet off the ice. If there's even a moderate screen that shot is incredibly dangerous. Jack Hughes scored a PP goal on Shesty doing the same exact play. I haven't hated Panarin's overall game. He's made fewer glaring mistakes and has been more willing than most of the high skilled vets on the forecheck. I just think he's pressing too much and when he does that, he over-complicates matters. I just want him to shoot decisively and confidently.

I think Kakko has looked pretty good, but he's gotta play with a bit more jump in his game. We need him in game 7 to make a few big plays.

I like the PP1 better with Kane off it. They defer to Kane too much. PP2 continues to have really poor puck retrieval. And Trouba is just not very good at anticipating and keeping pucks in.

I dunno what's going to happen in game 7. But if we focus on crashing the net hard and making sure Shesty can see the shots then we have just as much a chance to win as the Devils, if not more.
On Panarin, he needs to put the puck in the net. It's that simple. He's getting chances. He's whiffing or missing completely. It has gotten to him

When he does his patented curl on the half wall... I see room in the middle of the ice if he were to continue moving his legs after curling back... Even if he doesn't attack the middle... a low shot, with people attacking the net on the rush, can create great opportunities.

That's always been his issue. He stops skating. Doesn't attack the middle. Waits too long to shoot. He over complicates things. Someone needs to tell him, it's OK to shoot for rebounds. He tries to line up perfect shots/plays. It's ok to keep it simple. Not everything needs to be a work of art.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
He doesn’t have the speed anymore to beat any DMan wide. He knows it and they know it.
He always looks gassed, I dont know if he is conserving energy for his 90 seconds shifts or he is just out of gas. It could be Ben Harper on D and he never takes it wide

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Funny how Larry suggested moving Trouba up to PP1 in place of Fox because Trouba shoots.
KAMs wrist shot is way more effective.

He always looks gassed, I dont know if he is conserving energy for his 90 seconds shifts or he is just out of gas. It could be Ben Harper on D and he never takes it wide
IMO he's not training nearly enough. This is conjecture on my part. He got paid and is living a lavish lifestyle.

He's not giving the same effort he gave when he first got here. Effort meaning, off-ice training.

Reactions: WojtekWolski86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad