Post-Game Talk: Devil IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
The issue the powerplay, Devils adjusted, played a way more defensive game than they had the first two games, kept 4 back, and so did the Rangers. Slow plodding game, but we had many opportunities and the PP is not clicking, I hate the setup, it just doesn't work. They got lucky with the Devils Dmen sleeping on KK and they got torched, since then it's been a slog.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I’ve never been more confident of anything in my life as I am that the NYR will win the next 2 games and take the series 4-2. No need to worry.
They will, and there are going to be soooo many here ashamed of themselves while eating chiclets or crow, their choice.
This is our Rangers. NEVER the easy way. Being pushed to the edge, is more comfy for them.
This series may go down in history as the 1st that NO team, won a home game. Think about that. Could happen. (Think it would be the 1st anyway)

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The bright side is, they've been the better team for most of this series and I don't think they'll lose three games in a row, let alone 4. They've handled the Devils speed and offense better than most thought they would. Maybe getting back out on "the road" will be good for them. Series is a long way from over.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
They will, and there are going to be soooo many here ashamed of themselves while eating chiclets or crow, their choice.
This is our Rangers. NEVER the easy way. Being pushed to the edge, is more comfy for them.
This series may go down in history as the 1st that NO team, won a home game. Think about that. Could happen. (Think it would be the 1st anyway)
It happened back when there were three-game playoff series, but never in the best-of-5 or best-of-7 era.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If the Rangers just got swept, maybe the "they don't care about losing" argument would at least pass the smell test.

I don't understand how one brings themself to believe they did it for two games, it worked, and *then* they went "nah, winning 5-1 was too hard."

Their offense is being shut down. Offense and perceived effort correlate 1:1. The offense is being shut down for a variety of the same reasons that have existed for multiple years.
“Effort” and “willingness/ability to do what it takes to win” are not one in the same.

Panarin can try as hard as he can to deke around and curl back and open up passing lanes but if he’s not willing to simplify the game and crash the net when that shit isn’t working then he is showing an unwillingness to do what is needed to win.

It’s not just him, but all criticism starts with him because of his contract.

The playoffs are about bounces and desire, and all too often good bounces are created by more desire. That’s pretty much it. Outside of the occasional outlier really good or really bad team, all of these teams can win. Wanting it more is a thing when the playing field is mostly level.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I honestly see both sides of this.

Having watched them for a few years, I just don't know if I see star players. That's more true for Lafreniere.

That being said, the Rangers have done nothing to help the situation.

The kid line is fine, I guess, as a line. A bit one-trick for my taste and not enough scoring, but they can be effective in a certain context. My main concern with it is that it creates this very awkwardly shaped block in the puzzle. They have to be together, but we're not putting all of them in the top six.

I get that Chytil kind of is where he is with our center depth, and maybe Laf is just mid, but at the very least, Kakko should be playing with finesse players to match his tank-like style, not other grinders. That's why the line doesn't score.
I honestly see both sides of this too haha

Both Laf and Kakko were given plenty of time on the top line at certain moments in the past two seasons. They couldve taken the ball and never looked back.

The PP is another story, but Kakko has been given PK time which is how they rolled with Buch and that rounded his game into form. I like to use Buch as an example because it also took him a few seasons before he popped and he also worked his way up the lineup and exploded - right in time form to be was traded.

One of the reasons Gallant keeps the kid line together is because they are one of the only lines that actually keep up some forecheck pressure in the other zone. Its like they need that otherwise its a mish mosh of compete.

But yeah, when they are rolling and scoring its amazing, but most of the time they just keep possession. Which is nice but at this point this team needs production in addition to that.

I also think if anyone should be playing with better players its Kakko

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
It's always hilarious when Rangers fans stand there with their thumbs up their ***** and ask why Lafreniere and Kakko aren't stars. You develop with ice-time, opportunity, etc. It's ****** year four for Kakko, year 5 for Chytil. All still sheltered as third liners for stars like Panarin who lack the heart and chops in the playoffs. I have no issue with the entire Kid Line.
Yeah, Laff is top 5 on the team in hits, him and Fil are top 10 in shots. I mean, he isn't biggest the issue. Laff shouldn’t be above Lindgren, Schneider and Miller in hits. And Fil & laff have more shots than Tro.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
can we dump Trouba off of PP2? Seriously. How is this still a thing?
Said it during over the last few games. It's unreal. He's molasses along the blue line. Can Miller not be given a chance? At least he may have some ability to walk the blue line and get a wrist shot off toward the net. Not even gonna mention if he flubs the puck the only way to stop the opposing rush is to take a penalty.

Reactions: duhmetreE

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The ironic thing is that in his early days, he actually played like how people wish he would play. And then he was given a bunch of boarding majors for being too strong and that was that. He learned quickly that availability is the best ability.
Yup, exactly

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
can we dump Trouba off of PP2? Seriously. How is this still a thing?
njvUedH.png

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Not true. Rangers do not operate like that. They don't have a coach that operates like that. All you have to see is him right now coaching in these playoffs. He's never been about adjustments. He lives and dies and overplays his star players. He tells the media today his Kid Line was his best line and loves the way they are playing, YET THEY WERE THE THIRD LINE MOST PLAYED. The coach sucks. Don't make any adjustments, GG, why should you? All the hate Ruff gets from this board and the geniuses on Twitter LMFAO.
Best does not mean most productive. We needed goals. Hockeybased is right. If our kid line produced like first line players we never would have traded for Tank and Kane. That does not mean that they can't improve and maybe one day produce more but their production is not a GG issue. Nor was it a David Quinn issue. You could coach them the next 10 games and they still would be who they are. You see them on the ice. When you watch them and you watch Hughes don't you see the difference in how many quality chances our guys produce?

Yeah that's the thing, theyve had opportunities to play at the top of the lineup and never run with it. Kakko has been on lines that have had great results to be fair but he's never scored enough and Lafreniere is always underwhelming.
They both have had their fair share of chances playing on the 1st and 2nd lines. Its not about lines. They are just not there right now. It is possible they grow in to those roles but they have not yet. They have played their best on the 3rd line. If they were 1st line players then their line would look like a first line.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
View attachment 696515

So.... according to this we slightly outplayed them????
According to this, I would have thrown shit on the ice if I paid $3K for tickets last night... what a horrible series so far.

If this team isn't staying in Hotels, when at home, they need to be.

This is how fragile our locker room is. Keep them focused and thinking only about hockey. Curfews in full effect, no drinking day before game.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
Zbad 0 goals in the last 9 games
Panarin 0 goals in the playoffs
Trouba 0 goals in 17 games
Chytil 1 empty net goal in 12 games
Laff 0 goals in 9 games
Fox 0 goals in 10 games
Miller 0 goals in 9 games
Goodrow 0 goals in 20 games

I give Fox a pass the rest can GTFO