Post-Game Talk: Devil III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Yeah, we've made big goalies look outstanding all season (only for them to fall apart in the following game against other opponents).
Exactly this.

Hard to deflect pucks effectively when changing direction by a foot lands you more padding instead of twine. CK somewhat neutralized

Also forces shooters to pick corners, resulting in players overpassing and missing the net, like Panarin did at least thrice last night.

We have to do something about this. But I don’t know what. It’s a psychological issue now.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Exactly this.

Hard to deflect pucks effectively when changing direction by a foot lands you more padding instead of twine. CK somewhat neutralized

Also forces shooters to pick corners, resulting in players overpassing and missing the net, like Panarin did at least thrice last night.

We have to do something about this. But I don’t know what. It’s a psychological issue now.
Keep shooting low for rebounds. And crash the net.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Well, I hope it doesn’t come to that but if it does, I’d bluntly tell the player his time in N.Y. was finished and please give us 4-5 places where you would accept a trade. Difficult but doable.

Florida?
No cap space unless they buy out Bob.

Even then, the Rangers would have to take Reinhart or Bennett's contact back. They ain't trading us Barkov, Tkachuk, or Verhaeghe.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Kenny is the heir apparent to Sam, so we'll be in good hands. Sam started in '84-85, & deserves to got out on his own terms. so maybe he calls it quits in a year or two. 40 years is a nice round number.

I agree. 40 is good to go out on. Sam makes more mistakes each year but I still want him calling our games.

That said it does seem as though Sam and Joe really talk a lot about our opponents and build them up. They are probably the least homer announce team of the MSG group.

Reactions: bhamill

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Well, I hope it doesn’t come to that but if it does, I’d bluntly tell the player his time in N.Y. was finished and please give us 4-5 places where you would accept a trade. Difficult but doable.

Florida?
I think getting Panarin to agree is the easy part. It's finding a trading partner that is capable and willing to take on his massive cap hit in todays world. SJ tried frantically to trade their 100 point defenseman and couldnt find a trading partner. That's all not even getting to the point where I remind that other GM's and teams can see just as plain as we can that Artemi is shitting the bed in the playoffs. All considered, seems very implausible.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
For starters, we eat some cap and take a contract back.
I'd do something with this framework:

To FLA:
Panarin (25% retention by the Rangers)

To NYR:
Sam Reinhart
Anthony Duclair
2023 2nd
2024 4th

Rangers then parlay Duclair to a 3rd team for another pick.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Hank won multiple playoff rounds where the Rangers were the worse team. Being the better team in meaningless unless you win the game, and doesn't guarantee a series victory. What happened in games 1, 2 and 3 has zero bearing on the rest of the series.
Devils are still a bad matchup for us, even if we win the series ultimately. And because they are a bad matchup for us, letting a winnable game slip away and be stolen WILL put us in a bad position because the Devils are due to play at least one good game like we did in game 2. Fully expect to go back to Newark tied. Rangers were so close to not having to deal with that crap.

I really enjoyed the two wins; team seemed to go into playoff mode. Last night was a brain fart. If the Rangers won last night, we would be saying how much better they would need to be to get that 4th win.

I am just mad I wasted a few glasses of nice tequila on that.
NYR are up 2-1 after this loss.
NYR have, by far, the better goaltending.
NYR have the deeper team, and finished a whole 3 points behind NJ. We are the better team WITH the superior goaltending.
WE are a much worse matchup for them than the other way around. They are trying and failing, for the most part, to match the playoff style hockey we are playing. They are a pond hockey team. Their pushback just wears them out faster. The smart money is NYR in 6. Maybe 5.
I too enjoyed going up 2 games. I’d certainly enjoy the ridiculously unlikely scenario of winning 16 games straight to win the cup. But to get bent out of shape over a slim loss in a series we lead after allowing a total of 4 goals in 3 games (and what ONE even strength goal?) is just ludicrous. We are going to lose games here and there no matter how good we play. If we are LUCKY, they will all be close games we could have easily won. Even if we win the Cup. This is just the real world. Relax.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Exactly this.

Schmid is 6’5 205. He’s not Ben Bishop size. There’s almost the same size difference from Schmid to Bishop as there is from Vanecek to Schmid. He’s not some frigging giant.
Vanecek is 6’2 185, there’s not a huge size difference where Schmid takes up an extra foot of the net.
Schmid is not going to save the series for them.
I think it’s a psychological issue for overreacting fans, not the team.
Tiny Igor, on the other hand is so good he does force shooters to try to be very precise, but defensive positioning by NYR is a big part of all the NJD shots not getting on net.

Keep shooting low for rebounds. And crash the net.
Agreed. His control of rebounds on low shots was not very good.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
NYR are up 2-1 after this loss.
NYR have, by far, the better goaltending.
NYR have the deeper team, and finished a whole 3 points behind NJ. We are the better team WITH the superior goaltending.
WE are a much worse matchup for them than the other way around. They are trying and failing, for the most part, to match the playoff style hockey we are playing. They are a pond hockey team. Their pushback just wears them out faster. The smart money is NYR in 6. Maybe 5.
I too enjoyed going up 2 games. I’d certainly enjoy the ridiculously unlikely scenario of winning 16 games straight to win the cup. But to get bent out of shape over a slim loss in a series we lead after allowing a total of 4 goals in 3 games (and what ONE even strength goal?) is just ludicrous. We are going to lose games here and there no matter how good we play. If we are LUCKY, they will all be close games we could have easily won. Even if we win the Cup. This is just the real world. Relax.
today is a must win. if we lose I think it goes 7 and nj takes it. they would have the momentum and confidence on their side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad