Kings News: Development Camp 2021 Thread.......

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The average player is 6’1” and 199 lbs as of 2019. A slight player who can’t stay in the lineup consistently due to getting knocked around could benefit from some weight gains.

And by all accounts he's shown up with such, having put the work in as reported by Donnelly and easily visible on Turcotte's IG all summer. Are we going to let him actually do something before being upset at a digital still frame?

I remember a rookie Wayne Simmonds looking like a stick and while Turcotte is no Simmonds 'looks' don't equal 'gains.'

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I'm curious about Pinelli and how he plays. Was guessing he'd be similar to Madden and Chromiak, or am I way off?

Also, good to hear Sodergran participating. Could be a good bottom 6er for Ontario this season.

Reactions: andys

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I'm curious about Pinelli and how he plays. Was guessing he'd be similar to Madden and Chromiak, or am I way off?

Also, good to hear Sodergran participating. Could be a good bottom 6er for Ontario this season.

I had no idea Sodergran missed the season because of back surgery. I remember he had a pretty solid showing at the '19 dev and rookie camps, so hopefully he picks up where he left off.

Reactions: andys and Fat Elvis

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

With what I've seen, Pinelli is not like Chromiak or Madden at all.

The latter two are very high-skill or flash. Pinelli is more about the sum of his parts, and playing smart.

He's closer to a less gritty Justin Williams.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I remember a rookie Wayne Simmonds looking like a stick and while Turcotte is no Simmonds 'looks' don't equal 'gains.'

I remember thinking that those twig legs looked like they would snap!

Re: Turcotte and his size, Tie Domi was 5'10", Marty St Louis was 5'8" and Alex Debrincat is listed as 5'7". Of course size offers some advantages but as the adage goes, "its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in dog". If Turcotte has the fight, nothing will stop him.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I remember thinking that those twig legs looked like they would snap!

Re: Turcotte and his size, Tie Domi was 5'10", Marty St Louis was 5'8" and Alex Debrincat is listed as 5'7". Of course size offers some advantages but as the adage goes, "its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in dog". If Turcotte has the fight, nothing will stop him.

I'm not worried about Turcotte's size at all but rather how innocuous looking falls lead him to being hurt for a few weeks at a time.

That doesn't happen because he's getting trucked by bigger players. I think he'll be a fine NHL player as long as he can stay on the ice.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With what I've seen, Pinelli is not like Chromiak or Madden at all.

The latter two are very high-skill or flash. Pinelli is more about the sum of his parts, and playing smart.

He's closer to a less gritty Justin Williams.

Maybe a Brandon Saad?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I miss Mike Richards so much. He really set the tone for us in that 2012 1st Round Vancouver series. Players like that don't grow on trees. He was one of the most impactful players in the 2013 playoffs as well when a bunch of the other guys laid a turd.

If Turcotte is anything like Richards, he will be a fan favorite. Hopefully he's not a porcelain doll. Future is bright, guys. I'm really thinking Kaliyev will be the sniper we've always wanted.

respD

Jul 24, 2021
At the 3pm group session today there were drills followed by a ~30 minute scrimmage. Lots of energy, not much scoring. Madden made a slick move to beat a defender at the offensive blue line and then went in alone and put it through the goaltender (I don't recall which one) and got a big cheer from both sides. Clarke made a cross-seam pass in the O-zone at one point that got a shout of "great f***in' pass!" from someone on the bench. Kupari looked high-tempo throughout. Sodergran and Lee really stood out for their size. Sodergran seemed to get a disproportionate amount of ice time. He looked like he was going all out, no sign of his injury from last year.

After the scrimmage was over and most players had left the ice, some staffer (I think he had a Reign hoodie on) spent about 10 minutes with Cade McNelly (D invitee) and a couple of others teaching fighting techniques - grappling, where to grab the other player's jersey to immobilize the throwing hand, moves to throw the other guy off balance like yanking on the neck of the jersey, etc. It was really interesting to watch.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
no and then
tumblr_nyr37rV6XE1uu6qs9o10_250.gifv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad