Devan Dubnyk

BadMedicine*

If the Oilers could get a crack at an established top six for at least three years type of goaltender they could part with a diamond or some really high picks and some roster players.

I like Dubby and he is part of the teams future but I believe this team is ready to contend from here on in to the next ten years and we need to think about the present as well as the future and this means trying to win the championship ASAP,a Luongo would make us a serious threat for a long time and if Dubby stays sharp he will get his games in and see lots of playoff games.Or we could roll with Dubby,I am ok with that.
I have a gut feeling Horcs,Khabbi and maybe Hemmer are going to Van for Luongo and a d-man.Khabbi is exactly what Van needs and hemmer with the Sedins is scary,Horcs is a premier shutdown guy still and would be an asset on a championship team if his role is just that.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I get that but the kids are very much so still kids in many aspects of the game. Expecting Dubnyk to be able to make up for all the deficiencies this team still has is setting him up for failure.
Not to worry ... he has you readying excuses for him before the first puck has even been dropped.

fastfeet*

I get that but the kids are very much so still kids in many aspects of the game. Expecting Dubnyk to be able to make up for all the deficiencies this team still has is setting him up for failure.

No question. While solid, Dubnyk is not the kind of goalie that will steal games for you, at least not yet. For the record I don't think DD will be the starter when this team becomes a contender. Whether a new goalie comes via trade or Roy/Bunz takeover, I'm just not sold on Dubnyk.

dube and the bulin wall will do great this year but how the hell did dube get 3.5 mill a year ?

And this is why I think inevitably Tambellini/Lowe need to go. Dubnyk should NOT be making Schneider type money, Belanger, Hordichuk, and Sutton were not good pickups at all. Mr. Glass Hemsky gets a 10 million dollar extension last year. All examples of poor management.

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow
No question. While solid, Dubnyk is not the kind of goalie that will steal games for you, at least not yet. For the record I don't think DD will be the starter when this team becomes a contender. Whether a new goalie comes via trade or Roy/Bunz takeover, I'm just not sold on Dubnyk.

And this is why I think inevitably Tambellini/Lowe need to go. Dubnyk should NOT be making Schneider type money, Belanger, Hordichuk, and Sutton were not good pickups at all. Mr. Glass Hemsky gets a 10 million dollar extension last year. All examples of poor management.

I've seen a few games where if wasn't for DD stellar play they would lost and one game were he stole the game from the Sharks.

I agree with you on K.Lowe, but not on Tamellini. Tambo had to clean up the crap Lowe left him with and then nobody want to come to a team Lowe destroyed. Lowe had turned the Oilers into the black hole of the NHL and they where lucky to get anyone to come here. Sutton was a good pick up, as was Hordichuk, Belanger was a mistake, but he was better then nothing. Look now, the Oilers get one of the hottest FA in J.Schultz and he wanted to come to the Oilers, why, because he liked what the management was doing with the franchise. Your theories are seriously flawed.

fastfeet*

I've seen a few games where if wasn't for DD stellar play they would lost and one game were he stole the game from the Sharks.

I agree with you on K.Lowe, but not on Tamellini. Tambo had to clean up the crap Lowe left him with and then nobody want to come to a team Lowe destroyed. Lowe had turned the Oilers into the black hole of the NHL and they where lucky to get anyone to come here. Sutton was a good pick up, as was Hordichuk, Belanger was a mistake, but he was better then nothing. Look now, the Oilers get one of the hottest FA in J.Schultz and he wanted to come to the Oilers, why, because he liked what the management was doing with the franchise. Your theories are seriously flawed.

Okay, maybe Dubnyk can steal a game or 2 over 60 GP, however I remember a handful of games where he lost the game as well. Seriously, seriously weak glove hand. Look at a guy like Kipprusoff.
He's the opposite, he might lose you 1 or 2 games for a team, but will single handedley win you 10 or more. Without Kipper, the Flames are a lottery team.

And my logic is flawed? No matter what team Schultz signed with he would make the same money because he's on an ELC deal. The ONLY reason Schultz signed here was because the D-corps is hotrible and he would be the de facto #1/2 defenseman resulting in a tonne of TOI to pad his stats. It has very little to do with the team or management. Don't kid yourself. He'll be gone in 2 years.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Okay, maybe Dubnyk can steal a game or 2 over 60 GP, however I remember a handful of games where he lost the game as well. Seriously, seriously weak glove hand. Look at a guy like Kipprusoff.
He's the opposite, he might lose you 1 or 2 games for a team, but will single handedley win you 10 or more. Without Kipper, the Flames are a lottery team.

And my logic is flawed? No matter what team Schultz signed with he would make the same money because he's on an ELC deal. The ONLY reason Schultz signed here was because the D-corps is hotrible and he would be the de facto #1/2 defenseman resulting in a tonne of TOI to pad his stats. It has very little to do with the team or management. Don't kid yourself. He'll be gone in 2 years.
I'm sure starting his career with the likes of Hall and Eberle who are signed long term had nothing to do with it. What happened to your other account?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Hopefully hes learned how to avoid skating out of the net and leaving it wide open.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not to worry ... he has you readying excuses for him before the first puck has even been dropped.

:laugh:

yeah we should totally run him out of town for only putting up respectable numbers in his first two full NHL season with stalwarts like Strudwick, Peckham, Barker, Potter, Teubert, Vandermeer, Foster, Chorney, Plante and a useless Whitney patrolling the blueline on a regular basis. Combine that with young forwards like Hall, Omark, Gagner, Eberle who turn the puck over like they are playing hot potato and you have a great recipe for developing a young goalie in the best hockey league in the world.

Speaking of making excuses, maybe you can find a way to blame Gagners stagnated development on Dubnyk, seeing as you have blamed everything and everyone else for it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

He will be a RFA in two years. Dont kid yourself, you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

I had no idea Flames fans were this bumhurt that Schultz signed here.

Ogopogo*

He lets in too many bad goals and deserves the hate he gets.

I hope he can step up and be a solid #1 but, he has been giving up horrible goals since his Kamloops days - not sure how he can shake that habit all of a sudden.

fastfeet*

He will be a RFA in two years. Dont kid yourself, you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

I had no idea Flames fans were this bumhurt that Schultz signed here.

Yeah, because RFA's always re-sign with the same team. Cough Penner cough. Also he seems like such a standup guy screwing over the team that drafted him, but I'm sure he'll have a much stronger allegiance to us. I'd love to be proven wrong but this kid is only looking out for #1 and unless we make huge progress, there is no way he'll re-sign long term or possibly at all.

Where did you get that I'm a Flames fan? I incite riots over at Calgarypuck. I'm just an Oiler fan that doesn't drink the kool-aid.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastfeet*

He lets in too many bad goals and deserves the hate he gets.

I hope he can step up and be a solid #1 but, he has been giving up horrible goals since his Kamloops days - not sure how he can shake that habit all of a sudden.

Exactly.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Sutton was a good pick up, as was Hordichuk, Belanger was a mistake, but he was better then nothing. Look now, the Oilers get one of the hottest FA in J.Schultz and he wanted to come to the Oilers, why, because he liked what the management was doing with the franchise. Your theories are seriously flawed.

People keep saying that the Belanger signing was a mistake. The guy was relatively inexpensive, could win faceoffs and was solid defensively and could play on the PK, plus he very consistently put up decent numbers offensively every year (8 straight seasons with 33-41 pts) as well before he arrived.

Last year his offense dropped off badly (not totally surprising on a 29th place team) but how could you honestly say that's a mistake signing? The guy was something the Oilers needed (and still do). If he would have hit 35 pts last year we'd all be saying what a great addition it was.

Ogopogo*

People keep saying that the Belanger signing was a mistake. The guy was relatively inexpensive, could win faceoffs and was solid defensively and could play on the PK, plus he very consistently put up decent numbers offensively every year as well before he arrived.

Last year his offense dropped off badly (not totally surprising on a 29th place team) but how could you honestly say that's a mistake signing? The guy was something the Oilers needed (and still do). If he would have hit 35 pts last year we'd all be saying what a great addition it was.

The team has nothing to do with his offensive contribution - he is responsible for his own lack of offense. It's like saying you are fat because of your wife.

Of course we'd be saying he was a good addition with 35 points. If he had played better, he would have deserved praise.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
People keep saying that the Belanger signing was a mistake. The guy was relatively inexpensive, could win faceoffs and was solid defensively and could play on the PK, plus he very consistently put up decent numbers offensively every year (8 straight seasons with 33-41 pts) as well before he arrived.

Agreed. Belanger is the kind of depth guy that is extremely useful for championship teams.

I hope we can retain him. He'll hopefully be useful for when we make the playoffs.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The team has nothing to do with his offensive contribution - he is responsible for his own lack of offense. It's like saying you are fat because of your wife.

Of course we'd be saying he was a good addition with 35 points. If he had played better, he would have deserved praise.

If a team sucks offensively... many players will have their offensive numbers drop. If a team sucks defensively, many players will have their plus minus stats looking awful and goalies will look worse than they actually are (which has relevance to Dubnyk in this topic so I don't get too far off track :) )... it's not even up for debate. A player isn't an island and they depend on their teammates.

Belanger wasn't great offensively because yes he had an off year AND his linemates basically sucked. I'm not saying he had a great year... I'm saying it wasn't a mistake signing him because there was really no way of knowing he was going to regress offensively like he did unless you had a working crystal ball.

I'm certain that the approval rate for that trade when it was made was very high and only using 20-20 hindsight would anyone really be against it now.

Take out his faceoffs for example and the team would again have been worst in the NHL in that category. He also was solid on the PK. It's false to say he was crap last year... he basically just regressed offensively but so did almost everyone on the team outside of the top line. You also have to remember... he was getting the 4th most ice time per game among the centres... behind Horcoff, Gagner and RNH. How many 4th line centres score 35+ pts in a season? Last year the average for a 4th line centre was ~20 pts and he wasn't that far off that level.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

If a team sucks offensively... many players will have their offensive numbers drop. If a team sucks defensively, many players will have their plus minus stats looking awful and goalies will look worse than they actually are... it's not even up for debate. A player isn't an island and they depend on their teammates.
Belanger wasn't great offensively because yes he had an off year AND his linemates basically sucked. I'm not saying he had a great year... I'm saying it wasn't a mistake signing him because there was really no way of knowing he was going to regress offensively like he did unless you had a working crystal ball.

I'm certain that the approval rate for that trade when it was made was very high and only using 20-20 hindsight would anyone really be against it now.

Take out his faceoffs for example and the team would again have been worst in the NHL in that category. He also was solid on the PK. It's false to say he was crap last year... he basically just regressed offensively but so did almost everyone on the team outside of the top line. You also have to remember... he was getting he 4th most ice time per game among the centres... behind Horcoff, Gagner and RNH. How many 4th line centres score 35+ pts in a season? Last year the average for a 4th line centre was ~20 pts and he wasn't that far off that level.

Take goalie stats and +/- and throw them in the garbage. Those are team stats and tell you little or nothing about the individual.

Goals and assists are largely controlled by the individual player and ice time he receives (playing well earns you more ice time) - teammates cause a swing of + or - 10%. If you are suggesting Belanger is a 35 point player and he only had 32 points, I could say it was caused by poor linemates. He had 16, that tells me he was crap offensively last season. Ice time is reduced when you suck and increased when you play well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad