Devan Dubnyk (Vezina & Masterton Finalist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I dont mind Dubnyk but whats the story with Kuemper?
I thought he was supposed to be the next big thing? Is Minnesota undervaluing Kuemper? Yeo seems to have lost the team.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I dont mind Dubnyk but whats the story with Kuemper?
I thought he was supposed to be the next big thing? Is Minnesota undervaluing Kuemper? Yeo seems to have lost the team.

Kuemps is young and mentally fragile. you can only rally around him for so long before the entire game is played with "better try to protect Kuemper" in the back of your head...Backs has sucked, Kuemper has sucked, and the team is playing scared and sitting back, which it's not designed to do. It's on the players, and they know it, but they just can't help it. The leaders have to step up. Guys like Zucker and Fontaine have been the only ones playing their hearts out every night and no one should look to them for leadership or to set an example, but hopefully one of these nights they'll shame our vets into keeping the effort up past the first goal let in.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
First I was not pleased. Then I read he's been playing decent this year for Coyotes. I guess this a fine bandaid and a 3rd rounder is a very minor asset. We still have our 1st and 2nd rounders this year and those are the picks scouts make their money on.

Something needed to happen, and this is something. Now let's see how he does here. Can't be worse than what we're currently putting in goal.

edit. Also as someone mentioned, this probably gives new life to whole team. It's more than obvious that skaters have no faith in our goalies anymore. And I don't blame them. If this makes us play well again, resulting in a draft pick in the range of 11-14 or even a playoff spot (pipe dream, I know), it's worth it.

We were never going to tank with our loaded roster. Let's be honest here.

Last edited:

iLLogik87

Jan 5, 2015
Antarctica
As someone new to the board this thread has been really great in helping me determine who is an unrealistic spaz and who isnt.

I like the move. Dubnyk is better than anything we currently have and it takes away an excuse for the players not to play well. I also know that CF said he is still looking to bring more outside people in to help out. If it doesnt work out he is only a 800,000 cap hit.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Great move. Some who had unrealistic and laughable ideas that this team might tank are probably not happy but for us who still want to see this team win and make the playoffs this is a good move. 3rd round pick is pretty meaningless and now we should have a solid goalie who at least gives the players chance to win games and not single-handedly lose them.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm all for rooting for a high draft pick, but I don't want the team to legitimately try and lose games. That's just ridiculous.

Thank you.

I just don't think it's a good idea to just stand there and not even try to fix anything.

They just had NO confidence in their goaltenders, you can just see it when you watch them.

It's one thing to just have no talent and lose a whole ton of games, but it's a completely different thing to have a team that was a couple games away from going to the Conference Finals last year so massively underachieving, with a glaring issue that might be fixed.

We were never going to get a top 2 draft pick. I guess I just don't think picking 5th or 10th will set our franchise back years. I would rather the team try and fix the horrible ****ing loser mentality going around the locker room right now.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
He's given up 1 goal or less 7 times this year, and has given up 5+ twice.

Why is he going to all of the sudden suck when he gets here?

Well, our defense is in shambles. He's an upgrade to both Backs and Kuepmer right now, but our whole team is in a really bad place now.

Sean Burke fixed a lot of whatever the hell Dubnyk learned in Edmonton and stood up very well behind an anemic defense this year. He should be more than solid for you, esp. w/ a far better system in front of him

Right now our system seems to have been reduced to cable spaghetti and duct tape with a little chewing gum here and there to hold it all together.

If he can bring any stability to that, well then this was probably worth the 3rd.

Overall, I'm okay with this trade. Not overwhelmed or underwhewlmed. Just...okay.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm all for rooting for a high draft pick, but I don't want the team to legitimately try and lose games. That's just ridiculous.

My thoughts exactly.

The team is lifeless in front of Backstrom and Kuemper. Hopefully they actually develop a bit of trust in Dubnyk (but not too much ;)).

As others have mentioned, the best part of this is that Backstrom should rarely see the ice the rest of the year, so we should be able to buy him out. I think giving up a third rounder is worth it to be assured Backstrom is gone (I guess it's not assured, but much better chance), plus you've got a small chance that Dubnyk builds off of his start this season and continues to play well.

Anyway, the only third round draft picks we've had in 15 years that were worth something were Clutterbuck and Stoner.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011

dog is not impressed

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
With the 5 goalies we have had around the team this year, I have decided to find out once and for all who the absolute strongest one of them is. The only way to do that, is to take a crack at the Oregon Trail with Devan, Darcy, Niklas, Jon and Josh making the trip. We're off. I will update who dies of dystenteria and who gets yellow fever.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
With the 5 goalies we have had around the team this year, I have decided to find out once and for all who the absolute strongest one of them is. The only way to do that, is to take a crack at the Oregon Trail with Devan, Darcy, Niklas, Jon and Josh making the trip. We're off. I will update who dies of dystenteria and who gets yellow fever.

Oh boy. :laugh: I feel like you could have made an epic GDT out of this somehow.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Here we go :laugh:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
someone should...someone update a screen after each period. Axels breaking everywhere.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
We have just crossed out first river, the Kansas River and we are all alive and nobody has drowned. I call this the pre season stretch as the pace was steady and the river wasn't that deep. We are getting to game 11 here and the pace will now be classified as grueling. Stay tuned.

EDIT*: One of our Oxen was injured. We will call this Oxen (I have 6) this Marco Scandella.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
No disrespect to the Yotes, you guys are one of my favorite West teams, just not a very good team right now & I think if Dubnyk can do well in front of you guys, he can definitely do well in front of us, as well.

Ha none taken, we suck really badly. He'll be better in Minny I bet, we consistently let opposing forwards stand right in front of our net and have very little to no sustained offensive pressure.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
And now Darcy has the measles. And we have lost an oxen. We can call this one Oloffson. Curry was biten by a snake. That's a metaphor for the whole team, really.

Last edited:

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
We made it to the promise land (Oregon)

The only goalies that made it there with fair health were Devan and Niklas. Everyone else is dead.

Darcy died of Dysentery (I think his poor performance was all in his head).

Jon Curry had quite the trip, he broke a leg, an arm, got bitten by a snake and finally died in a tragic riverboat accident where we also lost 5 oxen and our old away jerseys

Josh sadly died of Cholera early on. Cholera of ankle is a son of a B****

Therefore, based off the only true test known to mankind (the OG Oregon Trail,) Devan and Niklas are all who survive this journey. Be warned.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
We made it to the promise land (Oregon)

The only goalies that made it there with fair health were Devan and Niklas. Everyone else is dead.

Darcy died of Dysentery (I think his poor performance was all in his head).

Jon Curry had quite the trip, he broke a leg, an arm, got bitten by a snake and finally died in a tragic riverboat accident where we also lost 5 oxen and our old away jerseys

Josh sadly died of Cholera early on. Cholera of ankle is a son of a B****

Therefore, based off the only true test known to mankind (the OG Oregon Trail,) Devan and Niklas are all who survive this journey. Be warned.

Hooray, Devan might be good and Niklas won't get hurt before the end of the year. :handclap:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
For people who are upset, what other reasonable options would you have preferred?

To stay pat and see if this team can pull itself out of the funk it's in without any outside help. This team might be one of the most mentally soft teams in hockey - ever. You got five captain or alternate captains on this team (Poms, Vanek, Koivu, Parise and Suter), you have some young leaders in Coyle and Granlund. Where is that someone to step up and just take over?

Furthermore; what exactly does this move do? This team is so far behind in the standings that a move like this doesn't make any sense. You're essentially giving up a draft pick for HALF A SEASON of goaltending that might not get this team to the playoffs and moves this team out of the lottery where they could finally get an impact forward especially at center.

It's like re-arranging the chairs on the Titanic. This team is sinking and instead of acknowledging that fact, we are desperately trying to fix the hole with nothing but chewing gum at this point.

People dismiss 3rd round picks but guess what? Maybe it's not the draft picks that are bad but who is making the draft picks. Because I mean Gabriel over Bjorkstrand or Andrighetto. You also have Bozan or Pelech or Andersen or Rau or Gudas or Bournival or Wedgewood or Barrie or Smith or Urbom or Eakin.

You can find good players even in the 3rd round if you have competent scouts.

Exactly what does this trade do for the Wild long term? And does it make them a playoff contender now? Does it make them a 3rd round team?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I still think Kuemper will be the #1 when he returns. But, a 6'5" backup that's playing well doesn't sound too bad when Kuemper needs a night off or if Kuemper continues to be the headcase we've seen this year.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
To be honest if the new guy can play with a modest degree of competence and a high degree of consistency, then I think Kuemper needs to spend the rest of the season as a used sparingly backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad