Devan Dubnyk (Vezina & Masterton Finalist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's given up 1 goal or less 7 times this year, and has given up 5+ twice.

Why is he going to all of the sudden suck when he gets here?

Because the team in front of him is like a train wreck meets the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean.

Billy Mays Here*

Good job Fletcher. Acquiring Dubnyk will make the tank even easier now.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I think it will do wonders for the team to play in front of a new goalie. They've clearly lost faith in Backstrom and somewhat Kuemper though hes likely to rebound.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Dubnyk, Devan Dubnyk. Right.

But the saddest thing is that he's propably gonna be an upgrade. Or something.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think it will do wonders for the team to play in front of a new goalie. They've clearly lost faith in Backstrom and somewhat Kuemper though hes likely to rebound.
I agree. The players have gotta be thinking that ANYBODY would be better than Kuemper or Backstrom, who they've just lost faith in.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Not sure I understand all this negativity. This is the perfect move IMO. This team hasn't played well enough to warrant giving up significant assets to fix goaltending. If you were certain a goalie would turn this team around, then yeah this is underwhelming, but with most of the roster under-performing and an awful bottom pairing... why handcuff your future for a season you might not be able to fix anyway?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
What do people think is out there in the 3rd?

So miss out on another Hackett or Wetblom, Olvecky, Irmen, Erickson, Heid or Brust.

Even Veillieux and Stoner were not game changers.

Keumper was a 6th and Haula a 7th. After the top 15 most years it really is on the scouting staff. A lost 3rd is no big deal at all.

Only 6 people from the great 2003 class have played more than 200 NHL games.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not sure I understand all this negativity. This is the perfect move IMO. This team hasn't played well enough to warrant giving up significant assets to fix goaltending. If you were certain a goalie would turn this team around, then yeah this is underwhelming, but with most of the roster under-performing and an awful bottom pairing... why handcuff your future for a season you might not be able to fix anyway?

If Dubnyk isn't the answer, if you're not certain a goalie can turn things, why trade anything for him at all? What's the point? Especially a goalie as bad as Dubnyk?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
My first thought was... "wasn't this the guy that got traded for future considerations last TDL?"

I was angry at first, because I didn't think Dubnyk was at the level we need and a 3rd rounder in this upcoming draft is a high price to pay for that caliber goalie. After settling myself down a bit and doing a little bit of research on Dubnyk... it's not that terrible. It's not great, but it's not as terrible as I initially hoped. We definitely had to pay an extra premium because everyone and their mother knew the Wild needed another goalie, but if Dubnyk can keep on having the season he's having, it's not that bad. If I'm mad at Fletcher about anything, it's that it took this long to make a deal and ended up costing us more, although none of us know the deals that were on the table at any point this season.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
If Dubnyk isn't the answer, if you're not certain a goalie can turn things, why trade anything for him at all? What's the point? Especially a goalie as bad as Dubnyk?

You trade for him so Backstrom doesn't play and hurt himself leading to the exact same problem next year.

It is certain that Backstrom will be bought out.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm happy with the trade.

We couldn't reasonably expect to acquire a real starting goaltender so really, give us an average goalie and that could help us alot. This inconsistency is net is killing us.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth

Because you can't trot out Kuemper and Backstrom to get shelled the way they are. I believe Dubnyk will play better than what we've seen lately out of the Wild's goaltenders.

.916 save percentage is a significant upgrade over the sub .900 that we've seen out of the Wild's goalies.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Lot of crying here over a supposedly crappy goaltender considering how everyone wants to embrace the tank.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Because you can't trot out Kuemper and Backstrom to get shelled the way they are. I believe Dubnyk will play better than what we've seen lately out of the Wild's goaltenders.

.916 save percentage is a significant upgrade over the sub .900 that we've seen out of the Wild's goalies.

Maybe Dubnyk will play better, but to what end? We pick 12th instead of 5th? He's not going to get us into the playoffs, and he certainly won't take us on a run.

If you think he's going to keep up a .916 with this team in front of him, well you're in for a treat the rest of the season.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Maybe Dubnyk will play better, but to what end? We pick 12th instead of 5th? He's not going to get us into the playoffs, and he certainly won't take us on a run.

If you think he's going to keep up a .916 with this team in front of him, well you're in for a treat the rest of the season.

You lose the respect of your entire team, and your job in the process if you stand pat with the goaltending.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail

I think it should be left at that question and see where it takes us. No?

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
Deep draft year? Chance to draft high for once? Actually has picks?

"LOL, nah." -Chuck Fletcher

Goddammit, MN. :/

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Since 2013, 5v5 save percentage:

Enroth 92.3%
Kuemper 91.9%
Ward 91.2%
Dubnyk 91.2%
Backstrom 90.0% (dead last)

Adjusted 5v5 save percentage (takes into account shot location):

Enroth 92.4%
Dubnyk 91.1%
Ward 91.0%
Kuemper 90.9%
Backstrom 89.5% (dead last)

I'm not looking at this season's stats because of sample size.

Of the rumored options, Dubnyk is a below-average goaltender, neck and neck with Ward, and Backstrom is the worst goalie in the league. So Dubnyk is a better option at least as a backup.

Kuemper's save% is average but adjusted dips to well below average. So...I don't know if there's anything to that. He's clearly not ready for a lot of work.

Even without stats, Kuemper is not starter material because he's not mentally strong enough to rebound, and Backstrom is just completely done in the NHL.

If you're talking about the 3rd rounder being too high, I can agree or I can play Devil's advocate. Fletcher has a lot invested in Mike Yeo. He's built the team to play that style of hockey. If you think goaltending sank the Wild, then this is your litmus test. You can't evaluate Yeo or the team otherwise.

I think Dubnyk will be an average goalie where the Wild have got well below average goaltending and to an extent even worse luck. I don't think Dubnyk will save the season, but I think he will stop the bleeding and hopefully give the team some good things to build on.

As for tanking...can't help you there. Wild were never going to get a top two pick. Prospects from the 8-12 spot are a crap shoot and won't help the team for 2-3 years. I'd rather see the young kids (re)develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad