Speculation: Detroit's Next Move

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Is it just me or is the wings cap situation fine once Franzen and Vitale are put on LTIR? They have a 5+ combined cap hit. I can then see them send a couple guys down to the AHL. Probably need to add Ouellet and maybe Sproul to round out their 23 man roster.

Yeah the Wings will be fine, Pretty sure that Pulkkinen will go on LTIR for a month or so as well with his shoulder injury. We will have no problems here.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Gustav Nyqvist (4.75M) + Brendan Smith (2.75M)

for

Jack Johnson (4.36M) + Sonny Milano + Cody Goloubef (750K)

saves Detroit ~2M in cap space, pick up a good prospect in Milano, and upgrade their top-4. Jacket move Johnson to avoid losing him for nothing in the expansion draft, and upgrade the right side of their top-6 while making room for Werenski.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Gustav Nyqvist (4.75M) + Brendan Smith (2.75M)

for

Jack Johnson (4.36M) + Sonny Milano + Cody Goloubef (750K)

saves Detroit ~2M in cap space, pick up a good prospect in Milano, and upgrade their top-4. Jacket move Johnson to avoid losing him for nothing in the expansion draft, and upgrade the right side of their top-6 while making room for Werenski.

No thanks Johnson doesn't do any thing for us, Though Milano would be nice no need for Johnson would rather try for Fowler then Johnson.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Hey Detroit fans, does anyone know why Quincey isn't signed?

Is he "done" and I just didn't see it last season against Ottawa?

Is he expecting too much money?

Is he waiting for Detroit?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Is it just me or is the wings cap situation fine once Franzen and Vitale are put on LTIR? They have a 5+ combined cap hit. I can then see them send a couple guys down to the AHL. Probably need to add Ouellet and maybe Sproul to round out their 23 man roster.

For what they have now, yes they should be fine but if they want to make improvements they may have issues especially if they're not doing the end of preseason LTIR finagle thing to maximize cap benefits. I don't think they will be capable of doing that entirely at this point but I would assume they can create enough space to at least get the max LTIR benefit out of Joe Vitale by sending down Larkin for that paper transaction.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

He isn't done, but I have no idea what the holdup is. I doubt he's waiting for Detroit.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Detroit isn't going to sign Quincey. No chance. But no idea what the hold-up is, other than the numbers for Trouba, Barrie, and Lindholm coming down. I could see the D market shifting a lot by then. Once that all filters out, I could see him signing.

Maybe his advanced stats are bad, IDK, but if people are putting stock in advanced stats after Detroit's first year under Blashill, they aren't worth their title as a scout or front office guy. Detroit was a cluster**** transitionally and possession-wise last year.

Quincey is a solid #4 guy at this point. Put him with a decent two-way or PMD like Phaneuf, Ceci, or Karlsson and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Detroit isn't going to sign Quincey. No chance. But no idea what the hold-up is, other than the numbers for Trouba, Barrie, and Lindholm coming down. I could see the D market shifting a lot by then. Once that all filters out, I could see him signing.

Maybe his advanced stats are bad, IDK, but if people are putting stock in advanced stats after Detroit's first year under Blashill, they aren't worth their title as a scout or front office guy. Detroit was a cluster**** transitionally and possession-wise last year.

Quincey is a solid #4 guy at this point. Put him with a decent two-way or PMD like Phaneuf, Ceci, or Karlsson and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Phaneuf has been moved back to the left side and is Ceci's partner now.

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci.

I was more thinking as a third pairing partner for Wideman. I think Quincey could be a big upgrade on Mark Borowiecki. Wideman was a hell of a puck mover in the AHL, and did well last year despite Karlsson and Ceci soaking up the vast majority of the easy offensive minutes.

Methot is likely gone via expansion draft next season, so it would also be nice to have some depth in the position in case Ottawa loses him.

I wonder how much Quincey would sign for at this point. A 2-3 year deal would be ideal if he would come cheap enough.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Who is the next vet Holland will overpay for? It's sad to see the Red Wings strangled by all the bad contracts they've signed over the years. Even after clearing Datsyuk's cap hit, things don't look good for them.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci.

I was more thinking as a third pairing partner for Wideman. I think Quincey could be a big upgrade on Mark Borowiecki. Wideman was a hell of a puck mover in the AHL, and did well last year despite Karlsson and Ceci soaking up the vast majority of the easy offensive minutes.

Methot is likely gone via expansion draft next season, so it would also be nice to have some depth in the position in case Ottawa loses him.

I wonder how much Quincey would sign for at this point. A 2-3 year deal would be ideal if he would come cheap enough.

I'd say maybe 2-3 years, 2-2.5 per would work.

Worth the money IMO.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
That seems very low for a top-4 guy. I wonder why he isn't signed? Franson situation? Did he misjudge the market?
Quincey's probably not looking like the prettiest girl at the dance right now. He's a good defenseman, but he's not a guy who's going to move the puck for you. Times are tough right now if you're a stay-at-home guy. Quincey brings grit, defensive play, some physicality, and some steadiness. But he puts the puck into guys' skates a lot, and he isn't often an offensive presence.

That might be a tough sell for a guy who's looking for either top 4 minutes or a 4 mil+ deal (which would still likely be a pay cut). I think somebody is going to get him on kind of a bargain bin deal, though, and it'll be a steal. He would do quite well on a 3rd pairing with PK time.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers want to move Girardi.

has nmc
could do 3rd line 8-12 min at 3RD instead of overworked, misused by stupid AV in wrong system.
ask is Howard. similar # and a deadweight for you. Sure we both want to avoid buying out each guy cause it's not like the amnesty buyouts a coupla years back and while there is some relief, some cap hit remains ongoing for a years, and if the cut is too early, for several years.

If we can each squeeze 1-2 years out of the guys we get, it is a win win.
Would be willing to add Raanta, who would contend for starter, at G (1yr, 1m) and also a late pick in exchange you add Jurco.

Rangers see what Benoit Allaire does with JiHo, if nec bury him at AHL
You eliminate excessive $ structure committed to netminders, value can be made fair, onus is you have to eat G's NMC.

It is believed that NMC turns into a NTC after this season, not in time for exp. draft

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Quincey was at worst, our 3rd best defenceman last year. But I guess thats Detroits defenceman level. He probably wants his $4M and teams probably arent throwing out that sorta cash for what he brings.

He deserves a spot in the NHL but hes fast running out of time.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci.

If Quincey were content with a short or cheap deal, he'd be signed by now. And if you're putting him on your bottom pairing to replace MB, then yes, Q is a massive upgrade. But if that were the game plan, like I said, he'd be signed by now.

Quincey is one of the guys who had a short range as a defenseman. You'd love him as a #5 but you'd hate him on a team where he's your second-pairing anchor or #3.

I think you get him at 4Mx2 but I think he's holding out for 3Mx4.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Detroit's in cap heck. Signed Dekeyser and Helm for way to much.

If you mean that we need to clear some cap for Quincey, there is no need for him right now. He's not a young top 2 D.

If you mean in general, I agree, Helm was an unnecessary move and Dekeyser is signed accordingly for his place in the lineup, if it makes any sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad