Speculation: Detroit's Next Move

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
With Dekeysers signing of $5 per, Detroit is extremely hard up on the cap with Mrazeks new contract still needing to be hashed out.

Not only for this year, but Detroits cap situation likely gets even worse next year as Tatar needs a new RFA deal as well as Jurco, Anathasiou, and Pulkkinen.

Outside of that, the only money coming off the books are Vanek (2.6 mil), Miller (1.0 mil), Ott (800k), Smith (2.75 mil)

Tatar will likely each a large chunks of that space in his RFA raise as well as whatever Mrazek gets this year moving forward, leaving nearly 0 money (or negative money) to sign any of the other RFAs (let alone make roster improvements via FA).

After all that long winded back story, its pretty clear Detroit needs to make a move via trade or buyout, even with still having Franzen on LTIR.

Most consider Howard trade the likeliest choice but I think this summer proved there isnt much of a market for him and almost all the teams that had goaltending needs, addressed them already.

What say you?

EDIT: Also, Stephen Weiss' buyout cap hit jumps from $1.0 mil this year to $2.5 mil next year

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Not much out there.

Howard for Niemi? Doesn't make much sense, but it saves them a bit in cap and gets them out of the deal a year earlier.

Glendening and Helm deals are going to hurt, as is that Mike Green deal. Can try to get Ericsson out of there.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I still don't understand why Holland would re-sign Darren Helm when he already has Larkin, Nielsen, Sheahan, Glendening and Ott at Center.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
With Dekeysers signing of $5 per, Detroit is extremely hard up on the cap with Mrazeks new contract still needing to be hashed out.

Not only for this year, but Detroits cap situation likely gets even worse next year as Tatar needs a new RFA deal as well as Jurco, Anathasiou, and Pulkkinen.

Outside of that, the only money coming off the books are Vanek (2.6 mil), Miller (1.0 mil), Ott (800k), Smith (2.75 mil)

Tatar will likely each a large chunks of that space in his RFA raise as well as whatever Mrazek gets this year moving forward, leaving nearly 0 money (or negative money) to sign any of the other RFAs (let alone make roster improvements via FA).

After all that long winded back story, its pretty clear Detroit needs to make a move via trade or buyout, even with still having Franzen on LTIR.

Most consider Howard trade the likeliest choice but I think this summer proved there isnt much of a market for him and almost all the teams that had goaltending needs, addressed them already.

What say you?

EDIT: Also, Stephen Weiss' buyout cap hit jumps from $1.0 mil this year to $2.5 mil next year

Once Holland resigns Mrazek, Detroit will be given a 2nd buy out. Maybe Holland buys out Howard i don't know.

The odds that Tatar, Jurco and Pulkkinen are one the team next year are probably pretty Nil. I can see Tatar as trade bait for a D man and Jurco and Pulkkinen could be left unsigned and left to become UFAs. Plus with the expansion draft maybe LV takes an expensive piece from us.

I guess a lot just depends on what Holland does here, But it's not looking good here down the road. Just to many bad contracts here.

whlscowt

Since we're in the offseason where the cap can be breached to an extent and with Franzen and Vitale heading to LTIR is a deal necessarily needed?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Not much out there.

Howard for Niemi? Doesn't make much sense, but it saves them a bit in cap and gets them out of the deal a year earlier.

Glendening and Helm deals are going to hurt, as is that Mike Green deal. Can try to get Ericsson out of there.

I feel like Ericsson will turn out like Nikita Nikitin of Fedor Tyutin

Bigger guys who other teams might inquire about but ultimately teams pass on because of their contract and the team strategies moving away from bigger physical old school dmen who arent great at moving the puck

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Once Holland resigns Mrazek, Detroit will be given a 2nd buy out. Maybe Holland buys out Howard i don't know.

The odds that Tatar, Jurco and Pulkkinen are one the team next year are probably pretty Nil. I can see Tatar as trade bait for a D man and Jurco and Pulkkinen could be left unsigned and left to become UFAs. Plus with the expansion draft maybe LV takes an expensive piece from us.

I guess a lot just depends on what Holland does here, But it's not looking good here down the road. Just to many bad contracts here.

Yea, and the other thing that I overlooked at first but edited back in was the fact that Weiss' buyout hit jumps to $2.56 mil next year. Just awful timing for that to jump up

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
For the love of god, please ship Saarijärvi out to literally any other team.

I do not want to see him getting blocked out by veterans and other mediocre defensemen.

Do it for the Finns.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Since we're in the offseason where the cap can be breached to an extent and with Franzen and Vitale heading to LTIR is a deal necessarily needed?

Mrazeks contract might put them over the allowable cushion depending on what happens. Also, they cant put Franzen on LTIR until day 1 I believe and they have to be cap compliant on opening night.

They might get themselves into a pickle having to shuffle guys to Grand Rapids and possibly exposing some guys to waivers they dont want to just to get compliant by opening night

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yea, and the other thing that I overlooked at first but edited back in was the fact that Weiss' buyout hit jumps to $2.56 mil next year. Just awful timing for that to jump up

Yeah Weiss's $2.56 mil next year couldn't have come at a worse time. That's for sure. Depending on how much the cap goes up next year we could be screwed. A lot depends on who we lose to LV next year at the expansion draft as well.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Their short and long term cap structure is... well it looks awful to me.

Is this like mandated by ownership or something? Or is Holland just past it?

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Their short and long term cap structure is... well it looks awful to me.

Is this like mandated by ownership or something? Or is Holland just past it?

Can't have a losing product heading into a new building, so ownership.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I still don't understand why Holland would re-sign Darren Helm when he already has Larkin, Nielsen, Sheahan, Glendening and Ott at Center.

The deal was stupid but Helm hasn't played really center for a couple years.

He won't NEED to do anything.
It'd be nice if he got a D for a Forward+ though.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad