GDT: Detroit @ Toronto 7pm - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What'a you know, they barely beat the Wings B team in OT. Shocking for a team with an overpaid core 4 that wants to win a cup !!! :eek3:

I still think they should explore trading Samsonov and keep Jones and Woll as our starting tandem.:eek3:
1696562002669.gif

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
That wouldn't show anything because it's pre season, unless there is an injury nothing that happens in these games matters.
From my playing and coaching days, all the teams I was with WANTED TO WIN, preseason or exhibition game or not. Most players, and athletes I know, were the same.

Most players today are only motivated by money I guess !!!

Last edited:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
What'a you know, they barely beat the Wings B team in OT. Shocking for a team with an overpaid core 4 that wants to win a cup !!! :eek3:

I still think they should explore trading Samsonov and keep Jones and Woll as our starting tandem.:eek3:
Dude, it's f***ing preseason. The players are getting themselves in game shape and trying to figure out line chemistry; I don't think they give much of a rat's ass about winning or losing right now. It means nothing, and the vets know it.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
What'a ya know, an HF Leafs fan overreacting over preseason? :eek3:
all the years ive been here, never seen that happen once, just thinking we should trade Matthews and Marner for futures, and put Minten and Knies on the first line, and start a rebuild:sarcasm: just does not seem we are a good team since the start of camp....

• Haha
Reactions: TML Dynasty and kb

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
From my playing and coaching days, all the teams I was with WANTED TO WIN preseason or exhibition game or not. Most players, and athletes I know were the same.

Attachments

• Fo3vx1oWAAEmNc1.jpg
    Fo3vx1oWAAEmNc1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I know it might be best to send Minten back to Kamloops but damn this kid is ready. He’s got size, smarts, skates well, and has a motor. He and Knies would be a pleasure to watch this season. Knies is an absolute stud. Skates hard and hustles, has confidence and combines it with skill. His puck pursuit and retrieval i are elite already.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Really torn on the Minten decision. He has played well, and on merrit he's been one of our best 12 forwards. He's also the type of player who could succeed in the NHL as a teenager with his size, IQ, and maturity, and has shown great chemistry with Knies. But his offensive development may be delayed by his current role much like with a guy like Couturier early in his career, when he was deployed in a checking/energy role.
He's looked solid over the pre season, wouldn't mind giving him his 8 games and sending him back to JR though, I doubt he will maintain the same level of play throughout a 82 games in the NHL. He seems to be the type of player where his game doesn't translate in JR hockey very well, but in the NHL he's much better suited.

Reactions: horner

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
the only downside of minten is having willy and JT together again 5v5. this needs to end and quick. much rather have willy with matthews and marner with JT.
If we're going to keep Minten (which I don't think is a good idea) keep Matty and Mitch together, Willy at 2C, and Minten with JT on his wing.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
If we're going to keep Minten (which I don't think is a good idea) keep Matty and Mitch together, Willy at 2C, and Minten with JT on his wing.
imagine JT going to the wing for minten lol. at this point i would love to see willy go with knies and minten as a 2nd line and have JT with jarnkrok and domi on the 3rd, just to see whats up. i personally dont think JT should sniff the 2nd line center job 5v5. hes a pretty big liability out there.

also, i would normally agree with not rushing a kid his age, but everytime keefe challenges him he seems to not only meet expectations, but exceed them. him and knies were our best line again tonight and we had everyone playing. ive been a leaf fan a long time and i dont remember a non lottery pick having this kind of impact 2 straight years in training camp as such a young player.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
From my playing and coaching days, all the teams I was with WANTED TO WIN preseason or exhibition game or not. Most players, and athletes I know were the same.

Most people are motivated by money, this is why most people would move to the other side of their country for an extra 50k per year.

In your day people had pride and a country to be proud of, today they have neither of those

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Knies, Minten, and Nylander looking good together. Give Minten another year or two experience and that could be a top line on just about any team.

Brodie being dumb.

Willy on the PK? And looking dangerous too.

Knies the knave - what a steal.

Nice shot by Bert, but what a gift from McIsaac.

Tavares is so focused - if he can see the net, he'll shoot.

Bad boy, Sammy - don't go stand in the corner!

Even with being on the PK, the only time Willy got stuck in his own end was when he was out with JT.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Could also perform poor to mediocre and crush all of this confidence/momentum he’s built up at camp.
regardless of age that can happen to a rookie, just gotta ride it and let him learn. from what ive seen he plays the game right and wont be depended on to score a bunch, i feel like thats a bit easier to handle as a young player. just continue to play smart and hes gonna keep getting put out there by keefe

Reactions: horner

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
if you ask the players would they ever win or lose in preseason or any games, I doubt anyone would say, take the loss in pre season…

The thing is when the team is losing by a goal or two in pre-season, would players go, let’s do it and win it? I doubt that as it is pre-season and even the coach might start playing guys lower in the lineup to see what can they do. Where as in the regular season, players and coach might want to win esp toward the end of the season and will start taking more risks and stuff. And top guys might start double shifting and coach will shorten the bench.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The only one I'm concerned about in the preseason is Samsonov.

Other players give less effort because they don't want to go out and hit and get hit and injure themselves in a meaningless game. Samsonov however, has been horrible all preseason. Maybe he's scared of injuring himself also, because he did it last season on a penalty shot... without being touched by anyone.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Thought Samsonov, Tavares and in-zone team defence were pretty poor tonight. I dunno why Minton is so good, but him with Knies was just great to watch. Thought everyone else was fine.

Minton might actually be good enough to make it... hope he and Knies play again Saturday against the Wings main roster to get a better gauge.
I'm sitting Knies if I'm Keefe, he's good enough to play on either of the top 3 lines no matter the C.

Minten would be in that final game with Robertson and Lafferty. Holmberg, Gregor, and McMann out on another line and see who really wants and deserves that last spot.

Reactions: wingman75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad