Pre-Game Talk: Detroit Red Wings @ Your Toronto Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Phaneuf is leading the D in scoring, Corsi, fenwick, and qualcomp since moving back to the left side.

Good to hear. Phaneuf had a bad year last year overall, but had a great one the year before. Him rebounding back into form will be essential to the Leafs making the playoffs.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Good to hear. Phaneuf had a bad year last year overall, but had a great one the year before. Him rebounding back into form will be essential to the Leafs making the playoffs.

Phaneuf was amazing last year until the last 15 games.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
By watching Phaneuf over the first 4 games I think it is fair to say he hasn't been very good. Stats are very useful but so is observing. He's been beat many times.

By watching Phaneuf over the first 4 games I think it is fair to say he has been very good.

He's been beat a handful of times, like any other top dman facing top competition will be.

now we clearly have different opinions about how he's played based on watching him. maybe you're right maybe I'm right. but it is a weird coincidence that the numbers all back up what I see, and not what you see.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If Reimer plays lights out tonight gets the win, possibly a shutout any chance he starts again tomorrow?

I wouldn't do it.

The evidence is pretty clear that goalies do significantly worse in the second night of back to backs.

With us having two good goalies, we should never let either of them play both ends of a back to back, IMO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Even if Reimer stands on his head,pitches a shut out, is named first star tonight, I would still go with Bernier tomorrow.

You can't lose Bernier after just 5 games into the season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Even if Reimer stands on his head,pitches a shut out, is named first star tonight, I would still go with Bernier tomorrow.

You can't lose Bernier after just 5 games into the season.

Agreed

The one positive with all these back to backs (this weekend, next week and then around Halloween) is that there is justified cause to giving each goalie a start in those split games .. I want to give Bernier a few more games sooner than later to try and iron on his play and then see if Reimer can hold up his steadiness

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
By watching Phaneuf over the first 4 games I think it is fair to say he has been very good.

He's been beat a handful of times, like any other top dman facing top competition will be.

now we clearly have different opinions about how he's played based on watching him. maybe you're right maybe I'm right. but it is a weird coincidence that the numbers all back up what I see, and not what you see.

Well like I said Corsi means nothing on a game-to-game basis. But here goes.

The numbers aren't amazing for Phaneuf. He had pretty mediocre numbers until the Colorado game in which he posted a ZS of over 30, by far the most for any defenseman. His Corsi Rel ended up being 8.75, 2nd among defensemen. Cody Franson, known for being a good Corsi player was over 10.

Many things could be happening. Was it Dion? Was it because he was playing with Cody Franson. Was it because he was playing the Colorado Avalanche, one of the worst Corsi teams in the NHL?

Certainly Off ZS played a factor in this. So which other factor contributed? The Colorado game clearly influenced his stats as it counts for 1/4th of the season. Even with those stats his numbers are decent, not amazing.

Lets make a quick comparison of Percy and Phaneuf.

Percy has Off ZS of -18.75, while Phaneufs is at 5. Percys rel Corsi is at 2, while Phaneufs is at 5.5

Now who's numbers are better? Well it depends on what you're looking at but based on the huge difference in ZS I would say Percy. Add to the fact that Phaneufs numbers are influenced by a game against Colorado.

With this said, from a statistical perspective and from just observing, Percy has been the Leafs best defenseman, not Phaneuf.

The stats seem to say Phaneuf has been decent, while Percy has been amazing. But it doesn't really matter because it's only been 4 games, so it doesn't mean much. My eyes have told me that Phaneuf has been burned in key moments in the game.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Really it doesn't matter to me who starts which game since both should start one.

The only thing I care about is winning these games. Since it's the same team on equal footing for both games on the fatigue issue.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I answered this way because it was a silly question. But seriously, RC going 3 in a row with Reimer. I agree I could care less, since we know both goalies were playing this weekend.

You can think Bernier is a better goalie, but he has to do it to actually be a better goalie, and going back to his last 11 games last season, he has been questionable.

Reimer was questionable last season, but has played very well this year. This is the difference between the 2 to this point of the season. Play who is playing better.

I swear we've been through this last year but every goalie has bad games. Bernier played bad and the team went spiraling downwards. Reimer has been good but it's been two games. Wait until Christmas and you'll see who's had a better season.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Happy Bernier is getting the road start, you can almost feel the ACC crowd waiting for something bad to happen with him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think most feel that way. But they are like brothers though so I understand the logic for the coaches. They have chemistry.

When they are on, the pairing can look great, especially on the PP, but more often then not, it can get pretty hectic if the other team gets a cycling game going. They need to play a lot more aggressive.

They can be great friends off the ice, but they dont need to play together.

It's the same logic I worry about if we ever grabbed a #1C..."But Bozak and Phil have chemistry, they're roommates!"

Overall though I am not that great of a fan of them even on the PP. I like the idea of having a Gardiner-Franson and Reilly-Phaneuf PP, because I feel safe about Gardiner or Reilly getting back. Phaneuf and Franson scare the crap out of me because I feel like a guy like Nyquist only needs to block the shot or poke it off a guy like Franson and he's gone on a breakaway.

Also don't think Gardiner or Reilly have a rocket of a shot between the 2 of them which ideally you'd want at least one bomb on the PP, or a super accurate/quick shot like Franson has at the very worst.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well like I said Corsi means nothing on a game-to-game basis. But here goes.

The numbers aren't amazing for Phaneuf. He had pretty mediocre numbers until the Colorado game in which he posted a ZS of over 30, by far the most for any defenseman. His Corsi Rel ended up being 8.75, 2nd among defensemen. Cody Franson, known for being a good Corsi player was over 10.

Many things could be happening. Was it Dion? Was it because he was playing with Cody Franson. Was it because he was playing the Colorado Avalanche, one of the worst Corsi teams in the NHL?

Certainly Off ZS played a factor in this. So which other factor contributed? The Colorado game clearly influenced his stats as it counts for 1/4th of the season. Even with those stats his numbers are decent, not amazing.

Lets make a quick comparison of Percy and Phaneuf.

Percy has Off ZS of -18.75, while Phaneufs is at 5. Percys rel Corsi is at 2, while Phaneufs is at 5.5

Now who's numbers are better? Well it depends on what you're looking at but based on the huge difference in ZS I would say Percy. Add to the fact that Phaneufs numbers are influenced by a game against Colorado.

With this said, from a statistical perspective and from just observing, Percy has been the Leafs best defenseman, not Phaneuf.

The stats seem to say Phaneuf has been decent, while Percy has been amazing. But it doesn't really matter because it's only been 4 games, so it doesn't mean much. My eyes have told me that Phaneuf has been burned in key moments in the game.

Percy has been great. What does that have to do with it?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Go Leafs go. Wearing the jersey to the bar tonight. Good old blank jersey.

Wings are a beatable team. Let's do this!

On the side - did anyone read the Boston Bruins thread in the general nhl forum? Sounded like an awful lot of people think they have given up best in East to Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad