GDT: Detroit Red Wings vs. Montreal Canadiens | 10/15/2018 | 7:30PM ET|FSD

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Boston is a quality team though... They're almost a top3 division lock. Great veterans like Bergeron and great youngsters like Pasta.

They're not cup favorites or maybe even contenders but they're at least top half of the league.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
And which talent has been developed specifically due to him?
Off the top of my head - Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha when he wants to skate, Janmark isn't doing that bad in Dallas.

I'm not trying to sit here and say Blashill's crap doesn't stink, it does, but the roster he has stinks even more.

So I guess my question is; who do you suggest they bring in to right the ship, and do you honestly think given the shit show of a roster, there would be different results?

Reactions: rangersblues

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
IF we place dead last, and have the best chance at the lottery...

80% chance we LOSE the lottery.

The Edmonton Oilers have made Tanking less of a garauntee.

We will almost for sure get a top 5 pick though.
i would NOT BANK on Hughes though. Someone else will llikely win Hughes.

Everyone thinking the whole season is about winning Hughes, are going to be mighty disappointed to realize we will pick 4th just as likely as 1,2 or 3.

Yeah but every other team has even worse chances. The first overall pick almost always goes to a bottom 2 team and if we do finish last which is looking REALLY possible, were looking at guys like Cozens or Kakko if not Hughes which is still really really good. Its a good year to pick top 3

I don't mind losing hard fought games or even the occasional shootout 7-6 game, but this is horrendous. These are loses that stunt development, demoralize teams, and build a losing culture. If we dont want to become Edm/Buf its time to fire Blash. He is in over his head. Its too bad Andy Murray isn't around the NHL anymore. He knows how to develop kids.

I'm starting to think sending down Ras might not be a bad decision for the reasons you said. Builds losing culture. Let him go to junior and win a gold medal then come play next year when guys like Hughes or whoever gets picked first by us ad Zadina are on the roster. Next years team will have a lot more skill to go around than this years

I got Stamkos in 1 of my fantasy leagues...

Tampa Bay might be the one team that wakes these guys up. They still seem to hate eachother even though the wings havent been close to them in years

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
IF we place dead last, and have the best chance at the lottery...

80% chance we LOSE the lottery.

The Edmonton Oilers have made Tanking less of a garauntee.

We will almost for sure get a top 5 pick though.
i would NOT BANK on Hughes though. Someone else will llikely win Hughes.

Everyone thinking the whole season is about winning Hughes, are going to be mighty disappointed to realize we will pick 4th just as likely as 1,2 or 3.

What really sucks about the Edmonton thing is that the league seems to have learned entirely the wrong thing from it. Edmonton wasn't trash for ten years on purpose. Regardless of drafting first over all, or just really high, teams can't suck at the entire rest of the draft and hope to build a decent team. Also, there's no guarantee you're getting a great player.

The draft wasn't broken. Edmonton was broken. Hell, Edmonton is still broken.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Does anyone know of a way we could maybe take Trevor Daley's brain and transplant it into Sulak's body? Do that, reshuffle the lines a bit, and trade Mantha for decent young D-Man and we may just turn this around for a one step out of the basement finish.

Still, despite all the pessimism, I think our young core looks like the Maple Leafs did 3 years ago. All we need to do now is get a better coach, draft a generational talent, and then have another generational talent sign here for less $$$ than they're worth and we'll be headed for the same 2nd round elimination the Leafs are headed for this year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What really sucks about the Edmonton thing is that the league seems to have learned entirely the wrong thing from it. Edmonton wasn't trash for ten years on purpose. Regardless of drafting first over all, or just really high, teams can't suck at the entire rest of the draft and hope to build a decent team. Also, there's no guarantee you're getting a great player.

The draft wasn't broken. Edmonton was broken. Hell, Edmonton is still broken.
This is exactly my mindset when people talk about "tanking" and bring up Edmonton. Look at what all those first overall picks got them.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Off the top of my head - Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha when he wants to skate, Janmark isn't doing that bad in Dallas.

I'm not trying to sit here and say Blashill's crap doesn't stink, it does, but the roster he has stinks even more.

So I guess my question is; who do you suggest they bring in to right the ship, and do you honestly think given the **** show of a roster, there would be different results?

So 2 average players then? Mantha is not included because IMO he has slowed his development but putting him in situations where he isnt likely to do as well. In front of the net on the powerplay and at times on lines with players well below his skill level.

Janmark sure doesnt count as he only played 2 games in the AHL for the Griffons.

chris05

May 23, 2013
Nobody was more instrumental in making sure the wings lost the Boston game than #71. Leaders need followers and acquire these followers by setting a high standard of play on the ice. Comical to see Ras. scratched from the line up and then have 71 suck up 20 minutes of ice only to lose again.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'd just like to ask, where has Abdelkader been?

Apart from one or two shifts last night I never even noticed him on the ice. In 6 games he has 6 SOG, and zero points. Abby is getting paid $5 million this season and has 4 more years left on his contract with an AAV of $4.25 million.

Mantha is frustrating to watch but I still put him behind guys like Abby, Nielsen and Vanek in terms of disappointments. These are veteran players who are supposed to be showing their leadership. That's how we explain away the overpayment of their contracts, right? Veteran presence? Where is it?

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'd just like to ask, where has Abdelkader been?

Apart from one or two shifts last night I never even noticed him on the ice. In 6 games he has 6 SOG, and zero points. Abby is getting paid $5 million this season and has 4 more years left on his contract with an AAV of $4.25 million.

Mantha is frustrating to watch but I still put him behind guys like Abby, Nielsen and Vanek in terms of disappointments. These are veteran players who are supposed to be showing their leadership. That's how we explain away the overpayment of their contracts, right? Veteran presence? Where is it?

Im not disappointed with abby because I dont expect anything from him. He is what he is, 30 pts a year, bottom 6er. I literally dont care if he doesnt score a single point this year because he's not an important piece going forward and his performance has no bearing on the future of the team.

Mantha can be a lot better than what he's shown thus far and its frustrating.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The Sens were the laughing stock of the NHL this summer, and look at how they are competing. On paper, their roster is as bad as ours. On the ice, those guys are playing as a team, and playing with passion, and seem like they want to win. Meanwhile, we have guys like Vanek and Mantha floating around all game.
Their 4 overall pick has 6 points in 4 games and their goalie saved 75/77 shots in their last two games... We would've won every game this year allowing 1 goal.

Wait a few weeks.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
So 2 average players then? Mantha is not included because IMO he has slowed his development but putting him in situations where he isnt likely to do as well. In front of the net on the powerplay and at times on lines with players well below his skill level.

Janmark sure doesnt count as he only played 2 games in the AHL for the Griffons.
Come on my man, Nyquist and Tatar are and always will be great complimentary players. 40-50ish point depth players for their cap hit are absolutely necessary if you want to go deep in the playoffs. Tatar got the wrong end of the deal in Vegas, the way they were playing it was silly to throw a wrench in there.

I'm not breaking my back and spending too much time on the internet for people that don't realize while Blashill isn't a great coach, Scotty f***ing Bowman isn't coaching this roster to anything. People are pretending that this roster is only a coach away. He's a perfect coach for a tank. He tries to mix lines way too much, can develop players well, and will lose a ton of games in the process.

So, I'll ask again; who do you plan on replacing Blashill with to right the ship?

The obvious answer is throw Draper in there as an interim and hope that Yzerman transitions and brings in his own coach.

Reactions: rangersblues

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
And here I thought we'd all sing kumbaya and embrace the tank.
This board should but it is very binary on many issues. And at this point I feel most just want to see one win.

However most people here to me at least have vastly overrated how much talent that is on the team. Also, the vortex created by Z leaving has screwed the lineup, Larkin isn't ready for no1 duties but no one else is near that realm.

Nielwhatever is another indictment on the pro scouting team, as is Vanek. Our pro scouting team has really sucked for quite a long time.

I for one am also unimpressed with our amateur scouts as well, outside of Larkin and maybe Veleno most of the top 3 round picks I'm not really into (exceptions being Cholo and Hronek but if I remember correctly they where picks made on last year of old scouts).

KH is just terrible now. The cap management, the nostalgia, and the job security he has had have inflicted years of rebuilding needed.

I hope 19 comes back, and rights the ship. But realistically, we as fans are looking at minimum 5 years watching this filth get flushed down the drain before we can even hope to have playoff aspirations once again.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
And here I thought we'd all sing kumbaya and embrace the tank.

Meh, this is what I expected. People want steak but don't want to see it get made. In the end this is only more painful than it has to be because a lot of the U25 are going to not be core players.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Meh, this is what I expected. People want steak but don't want to see it get made. In the end this is only more painful than it has to be because a lot of the U25 are going to not be core players.
FYI, it's "sausage." ;)

And I'm fine with this. It's just sad to watch

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This is exactly my mindset when people talk about "tanking" and bring up Edmonton. Look at what all those first overall picks got them.

I don't know how an organization can be as consistently lousy as Edmonton while going through multiple GMs and coaches. It's not even like it was a revolving door where some guys didn't really get a chance or something. Everyone they hire just does a horrible job.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Come on my man, Nyquist and Tatar are and always will be great complimentary players. 40-50ish point depth players for their cap hit are absolutely necessary if you want to go deep in the playoffs. Tatar got the wrong end of the deal in Vegas, the way they were playing it was silly to throw a wrench in there.

I'm not breaking my back and spending too much time on the internet for people that don't realize while Blashill isn't a great coach, Scotty ****ing Bowman isn't coaching this roster to anything. People are pretending that this roster is only a coach away. He's a perfect coach for a tank. He tries to mix lines way too much, can develop players well, and will lose a ton of games in the process.

So, I'll ask again; who do you plan on replacing Blashill with to right the ship?

The obvious answer is throw Draper in there as an interim and hope that Yzerman transitions and brings in his own coach.

Simple Dan Bylsma on a intern basis and then hopefully Yzerman takes over the team and gets his own coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad