GDT: Detroit Red Wings vs. Montreal Canadiens | 10/15/2018 | 7:30PM ET|FSD

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
"Detroit Red Wings make a mockery of themselves in 7-3 loss"

Helene can get edgy but 6 games in... ouch, the headline I think is going a little bit too far. I realize she cares, but like a few of the posters here are letting their emotions get the best of them.

I'm disappointed Kotkaniemi didn't put on a better show. The one other game I saw him in he was truly magical, eyes in the back of his head type awareness making plays. I dare say he has a Datsyukian intelligence for the game. He and Petterson are real gems to watch for this season.

I think Domi is a good fit for Montreal. When you throw in Shaw, Weber, Price- they have spunk and can give any team trouble. I'm not saying they're a threat, but finally dumping Pacioretty was a great move and they are going in some positive direction.

With the Wings, what's the saying? When you're down on the bottom you can see all the way up? Right now they're laying in the gutter staring at the stars. It can only get better, right? :laugh:

Reactions: Ulysses31
Oct 18, 2006
Just finished watching.

What a shambles. Where do you start?

I'll start at Mantha. Pathetic. Coasting again, doesn't learn anything. His 'effort' on their last goal was truly stunning.

Nielson needs to sit, tired of this bum. $5 million, just wow.

Vanek is probably done in this league, well maybe he'd contribute on the right team, but this isn't it. He's just tooooo slow.

Athanasiou was impressive. Needs to make better decisions at times, and needs to stop doing too much, but he's creating chances, one of the few who are capable on this sorry team.

I like Hronek, guy is a warrior. Cholo had a slightly rough game but he sure can pass the puck.

Reactions: TheMule93

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
30 goals allowed in the first 6 games. 30.

But the goalies are better today!

Two ugly ones in a row. Me thinks the team isn't very good, however I honestly think this team, DOES NOT PLAY for Blashill. Whatever it is, he hasn't motivated anyone on this team, to play well! Larkin is good and has improved because he is good and seems to be a natural leader, but everyone else under him, gets worse from one season to the next. Mantha, seems less and less engaged with every game we play, AA is AA, and no one else seems to buy what he sells. Even when they show the lockerroom when Blash is talking, they look like they can't wait till he shuts up. NEW coach please!

Blash has a bad team, but we can still be better than this, so we at least don't get blown up. If we lose, fine, we aren't great anyway, but 6 straight losses and 2 blowouts in a row, is not fine! He has had 3+years with this team, and everyone minus Larkin has regressed, time to go! I think if Mantha was playing for a Gallant or someone like that, we could see the guy we all hoped would be a 30 goal scorer. Right now, he looks like a 12-15 goal scorer, who parks to the outside of all defensive scrums near are net, as the pucks fly in.

Reactions: Filppula

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just finished watching.

I'll start at Mantha. Pathetic. Coasting again, doesn't learn anything. His 'effort' on their last goal was truly stunning.

Vanek is probably done in this league, well maybe he'd contribute on the right team, but this isn't it. He's just tooooo slow.

Athanasiou was impressive. Needs to make better decisions at times, and needs to stop doing too much, but he's creating chances, one of the few who are capable on this sorry team.

I like Hronek, guy is a warrior. Cholo had a slightly rough game but he sure can pass the puck.

Yeah, Nielson has been disappointing in all 3 seasons with this team, to be honest. Vanek was great in his 1st trip with our team, but he has definitely lost foot speed which just isn't good in this league, he seems a step behind most plays.

I disagree with your AA comments thought as far as impressive goes. While he gave a better effort than most of his games, he did what he always seems to do, score multiple goals or give a decent performance when we get blown out or are well out of a game. And really, the 2nd goal shouldn't have counted anyways as Petry was in the corner bleeding quite badly. When do we see AA do really well, and we win a game, or play well enough to win. Maybe 2 or 3 times 2 seasons ago.

There have been lots of comments against our defenders, but we do have to remember, 4 of them combined, have less than 30 NHL games between them and we honestly have a coach that can't seem to motivate anyone to play well.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Trust me, it's gonna feel pretty rad when we win the 2019 draft lottery. :yo:

IF we place dead last, and have the best chance at the lottery...

80% chance we LOSE the lottery.

The Edmonton Oilers have made Tanking less of a garauntee.

We will almost for sure get a top 5 pick though.
i would NOT BANK on Hughes though. Someone else will llikely win Hughes.

Everyone thinking the whole season is about winning Hughes, are going to be mighty disappointed to realize we will pick 4th just as likely as 1,2 or 3.

Reactions: Oddbob

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Anyone here still believes one player can turn a team around? I am sure Eichel and Dahlin have done that for the Sabres already. So, keep hoping for a lottery win instead of, actually, building a team and having competent coaching/management.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Bernier this morning on the phone with Holland...
79e8.gif

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You must fire the coach

You can not continue to lose even when you expect to lose.

Their us a right and a wrong way to lose and right now we're losing wrong

No structure
No intensity
No effort

Couple that with a stagnated development culture and that will 100% cripple the franchise for a decade. The kids have to learn losing this way isnt okay or acceptable

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
That game was painful to watch. Sore points were Vanek, man he was slow, and Hicketts had a pretty bad game too.
Tampa Bay on Thursday? I have a feeling that Blashill will be canned by the weekend.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just finished watching.

Strange thing, I haven't watched the game , but this will easily apply to the previous games

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I think Blashill will be the tank commander for the rest of the season. There's no reason to bring in a caretaker when it's clear this organization is all in for Hughes. Roll with the punches, hope the lottery gods do us a solid and let Yzerman or whomever replaces Holland select his own coach.

Reactions: FMichael

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't mind losing hard fought games or even the occasional shootout 7-6 game, but this is horrendous. These are loses that stunt development, demoralize teams, and build a losing culture. If we dont want to become Edm/Buf its time to fire Blash. He is in over his head. Its too bad Andy Murray isn't around the NHL anymore. He knows how to develop kids.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think Blashill will be the tank commander for the rest of the season. There's no reason to bring in a caretaker when it's clear this organization is all in for Hughes. Roll with the punches, hope the lottery gods do us a solid and let Yzerman or whomever replaces Holland select his own coach.

No matter who the couch s we're still gonna lose

But we can' lose like this.

It' ok to lose when you're bad so long as you're still moving towards winning

Blashill is done

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I disagree! With veterans, maybe it doesn't matter who coaches out the bad season, but with young kids who need to learn and improve, a negative coach who can't seem to motivate is a major negative for how the come up and improve. He won in the AHL, but they had a good AHL team, and I bet many coaches come away with that win, in Grand Rapids. Not one player has improved with him, and even coaches on other losing teams, have players that get better, and but there aren't any. I don't count Larkin, as he is as the kids say a beast, and would do well under most coaches, because he is talented, smart, and motivated. Everyone not named Larkin has gotten worse in the now nearing 4 years under Blashill.

As an aside, man do I miss Zetterberg for instances exactly like this!

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
"Detroit Red Wings make a mockery of themselves in 7-3 loss"

Helene can get edgy but 6 games in... ouch, the headline I think is going a little bit too far. I realize she cares, but like a few of the posters here are letting their emotions get the best of them.

I'm disappointed Kotkaniemi didn't put on a better show. The one other game I saw him in he was truly magical, eyes in the back of his head type awareness making plays. I dare say he has a Datsyukian intelligence for the game. He and Petterson are real gems to watch for this season.

I think Domi is a good fit for Montreal. When you throw in Shaw, Weber, Price- they have spunk and can give any team trouble. I'm not saying they're a threat, but finally dumping Pacioretty was a great move and they are going in some positive direction.

With the Wings, what's the saying? When you're down on the bottom you can see all the way up? Right now they're laying in the gutter staring at the stars. It can only get better, right? :laugh:

With Tampa on Thursday, I don't know if we've seen the bottom yet. We've gotta be close though. I wouldn't be shocked if we get annihilated again to Tampa, I'm talking 6-1 or 7-1, and then after that we start the "climb".

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
With Tampa on Thursday, I don't know if we've seen the bottom yet. We've gotta be close though. I wouldn't be shocked if we get annihilated again to Tampa, I'm talking 6-1 or 7-1, and then after that we start the "climb".
I got Stamkos in 1 of my fantasy leagues...

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Think trashill bag skates them? Nah it’ll be an optional practice today and tomorrow

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What may be the saddest part of this circus, are the comments from Chris Illitch.

"Everybody is working hard," Ilitch said. "We have a talented team. The rebuild and progress we're seeing, I'm very pleased with."

Why can't anybody in this organization just tell it as it is? The team is a joke. Yes, we are in a rebuild, but what kind of message does it send to the new players that we are just accepting being a bad team because we are in a rebuild?

The Sens were the laughing stock of the NHL this summer, and look at how they are competing. On paper, their roster is as bad as ours. On the ice, those guys are playing as a team, and playing with passion, and seem like they want to win. Meanwhile, we have guys like Vanek and Mantha floating around all game.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ugly is ok when you don't have the talent to win any games.

If there's a 10 game stretch where the players look like they've checked out, then ok, fire the coach, because it's unacceptable for him to lose the room for that long.

But starting 0-4-2, with several kids, several injuries, and several mediocre veterans...and still managing to be in half those games? Nowhere near the panic button yet.

Buckle up, fans. You can't rip off the band-aid without seeing the wound underneath. There will probably be a lot more ugly losses this year, no matter who the coach is. And I'll happily take last overall, even if a top 4 pick is all it guarantees. This is what rebuilding a bad roster looks like.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
just finished watching. It's stunning, can't believe i watched the whole game. The wings managed to make boston and montreal look like even quality teams, although montreal is probably a bottom feeder as well. The wings are the worst team in the league at the moment by a mile, and i think it is time for the club to really think about letting blashill go. Noone expected us to win, but as some of you pointed out, the way we loose is important. And this team looks like the season is already over and the playoffs are out of sight, and we somehow finish the last 5 games...or even much worse than that.

Blashhill wasn't able to coach or motivate his team, and they are not playing for him. Fire him, let some interim coach run the show, get a new coach next year. You must be a pervert to watch 82 games of this crap

probably the wings will give him the chance to play with a healthy defense, but it would not change a thing, since cholowski and hronek are already better than kronwall and dekeyser. When ericson and daley come back and play instead of hicketts and sulak, is were the real test for blashhill starts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad