Detroit Red Wings #1 Prospect Summer 17/18

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
What does the 2015 draft have to do with Rasmussen's ceiling or our prospect list?

In 2015 we drafted Svechnikov at 19. In 2017 we took Rasmussen at 9. I'm saying that Svechnikov ceiling is better than Rasmussen IMO. I was asking that if they were in the same draft year who goes first? I'd think that Svechnikov goes before Rasmussen and still has a higher ceiling. It could be a bad way to present the argument. I just don't see how you think Ras has a higher upside? Given what we know today.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
In 2015 we drafted Svechnikov at 19. In 2017 we took Rasmussen at 9. I'm saying that Svechnikov ceiling is better than Rasmussen IMO. I was asking that if they were in the same draft year who goes first? I'd think that Svechnikov goes before Rasmussen and still has a higher ceiling. It could be a bad way to present the argument. I just don't see how you think Ras has a higher upside? Given what we know today.

when people ask to rate our prospects, its not in some kind of "who has more talent" perspective.

I try to take these factors into judgement:

1) How soon will they make the NHL?
2) How has their progress been since the draft? Do they still look like a high quality asset?
3) Did they look like a high quality asset when first drafted?

So for me Svech clearly wins, NOW.

I dont do these polls 5 years out, because why bother.
No one here knows where Rasmussen may fall. But concidering we only have Svech Rasm. and Cholo as 1st round picks.... they will likely all be top 3.

Rasm and Cholo will really come down to how Cholo has done since being drafted. And I havent really researched that much yet.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Ras would go higher because he skates better and projects as a center. I don't understand where this Ras has no skill/Ras can't play with the puck narrative is coming from.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
No one here knows where Rasmussen may fall. But concidering we only have Svech Rasm. and Cholo as 1st round picks.... they will likely all be top 3.

Rasm and Cholo will really come down to how Cholo has done since being drafted. And I havent really researched that much yet.

I may be alone with this opinion, but for me Hronek has passed Cholowski. Draft #'s shouldn't mean much anymore.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I may be alone with this opinion, but for me Hronek has passed Cholowski. Draft #'s shouldn't mean much anymore.

I see it the same way. The thing with Hronek was that few really knew where he stood after a season of pro hockey with low ice time totals and low production. After a full CHL season it is clear now that he is a very solid prospect with a good deal of upside.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I see it the same way. The thing with Hronek was that few really knew where he stood after a season of pro hockey with low ice time totals and low production. After a full CHL season it is clear now that he is a very solid prospect with a good deal of upside.

Plus Hronek only slipped through the cracks because he was playing 8 minutes a night in the Czech men's league.

Had Hronek been in the OHL a year prior I would bet a substantial amount of money he would have been a top 15-20 pick.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I think almost Everyone feels this way. Hronek is my #2 prospect (behind Svech) pretty easily at this point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Plus Hronek only slipped through the cracks because he was playing 8 minutes a night in the Czech men's league.

Had Hronek been in the OHL a year prior I would bet a substantial amount of money he would have been a top 15-20 pick.

It was quite funny how that production or 8-minute role at men's league was overblown so much.

Hronek was involved in two teams at SAME TIME, but people just won't get it. One night he would log 25 minutes on his junrior team and another night he would play 8 mins with men. He logged huge amount of hockey on that year.

61 games at junior level and at Czech 2nd level. Scored 15+25=40 points on those games. Another 40 games with men, so 101 games of hockey.

It was a great year.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It was quite funny how that production or 8-minute role at men's league was overblown so much.

Hronek was involved in two teams at SAME TIME, but people just won't get it. One night he would log 25 minutes on his junrior team and another night he would play 8 mins with men. He logged huge amount of hockey on that year.

61 games at junior level and at Czech 2nd level. Scored 15+25=40 points on those games. Another 40 games with men, so 101 games of hockey.

It was a great year.

And was still very difficult for people on this side of the pond to evaluate.

Honestly, all I care is that he is good.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

You're not alone because I think Hronek has passed Cholo too. However, in the long run, IMO Cholo has the more effective career.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I dont follow our prospects as much as i should.

Has Hronek played that well?

I was just guessingg our last 3 first overall picks would be considered our top 3 prospects.

I mean i know Hronek did well in WJC last year. Havent followed much since.

that is good though, that you think Hronek has improved.... :)
Or are you saying Cholo has played poorly?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I dont follow our prospects as much as i should.

Has Hronek played that well?

I was just guessingg our last 3 first overall picks would be considered our top 3 prospects.

I mean i know Hronek did well in WJC last year. Havent followed much since.

that is good though, that you think Hronek has improved.... :)
Or are you saying Cholo has played poorly?

He excelled in juniors this year, and there's a lot to like about Hronek's game. While I didn't really watch Cholowski, his statistics weren't very impressive and I think most felt that he had an underwhelming season...so everyone's down on him. Personally I still think he has decent potential and it might take a while for him to grow into his body...but Hronek is ahead of both Cholo and Rasmussen for me at this point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hronek had a great year on a weak Saginaw team.

Relative scoring was huge, I'll take Hronek's 61 points in 204-goal scoring team any day before some over-aged Raddysh 81 points in 319 goals-scoring team.

Hronek was also +15 on a -40 team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

It was a great year.

Only 25 games agains his peers isn't much for scouts to go off. And I really don't think he was on both teams at the same time.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You're not alone because I think Hronek has passed Cholo too. However, in the long run, IMO Cholo has the more effective career.
I have no trouble ranking Hronek over Cholowski right now, but it's so difficult to judge when they were playing in completely different leagues. Cholowski still did pretty well relative to his peers, just 4 points less than Fabbro for example. Really looking forward to development camp when both can be judged against eachother.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have no trouble ranking Hronek over Cholowski right now, but it's so difficult to judge when they were playing in completely different leagues. Cholowski still did pretty well relative to his peers, just 4 points less than Fabbro for example. Really looking forward to development camp when both can be judged against eachother.

I'm interested to see how he does in the WHL compared to guys from his draft class like Bean and Clague.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Just a hunch. Or maybe being hopeful. I'm no scout or fortune teller. Cholo is still a few years from at least being considered NHL ready. Alot can happen either way in that time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Rasmussen would have been ~11th on that 2015 group. Only two better talents there than 2017 first ones. Or maybe 1 and a half. Not so sure about Eichel anymore.

Buffalo's losing culture with weak characters and leaders have started to hindering his potential.

Good luck getting the egg off your face for posting this at some point later.:laugh:

You mean the guy that finished 11 in points per game last year after missing the first two months with a brutal high ankle sprain.... Did you watch a lot of Eichel last year?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I have Hronek #2 after Rasmussen. I like Svech a lot, I just have those two ahead of him. Cholo is a close fourth then there is a big drop off for me.

Cholo still has a tremendous ceiling as a prospect though. What I love about both guys is they are D-man that seemingly play with their head up all the time.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If hronek becomes a #4 or a #3 it proves you can still find diamonds in leagues. Just take some guy getting 5 minutes a night

Andreas athanasiou would be a steal.... again and he gets like 12 min a night

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Good luck getting the egg off your face for posting this at some point later.:laugh:

You mean the guy that finished 11 in points per game last year after missing the first two months with a brutal high ankle sprain.... Did you watch a lot of Eichel last year?

There's no problem on Eichel's scoring but defence is very very poor.

Also have Hronek as my #2...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There's no problem on Eichel's scoring but defence is very very poor.

Also have Hronek as my #2...

His D is at least average. I would say slightly above and another thing he has going for him is regardless he shares a team for what at least five more years with a top 10 defensive center in ROR.

Again I think his D is fine and will continue to get better, but it isn't super important it can be like Getzlaf in terms of do you notice how much better Getzlaf's D looks with Kesler on his team, suddenly he doesn't have to take the biggest checking responsibility. Eichel is unlikely to need to shoulder that which makes his dynamic scoring ability that much tougher to deal with.

I think he challenges McDavid for the Art Ross this year, there is my league wide bold prediction. The idea that he trails Laine is something I disagree with, he belongs in that big four, I think people are sleeping because of the injury, Eichel was dynamite most of last season coming off a very tough injury. The Eichel vs Matthews is really the big story line I expect, I think Eichel has made that a big conversation again by the end of this season.

Svechnikov and Dahlin have a one two punch like those drafts in my opinion. This year is a year where it would be huge to win the lottery or finish second. We can still get good players outside of there luckily, but those two are special in my opinion. Vault us up to having a top half pool in my opinion they have that kind of cache.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad