Detroit Prospects at World Jr.'s

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Near zero will never be the case so long as we're drafting humans and not robots.

You never know how any given player will do when they take a step up in competition. Brian Lawton was drafted #1 in 1983. Ahead of Yzerman, Lafontaine, Neely. Surprises are always going to occur.
Dino Cicarelli 600 + goals. Wasn't even drafted.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Drafting is much better today than it was then. The likelihood of another Datsyuk or Zetterberg happening is near zero.

Mark Stone disagrees with this statement, and he was drafted 4 years ago late in the sixth round and is outproducing at least half of the first rounders that draft year. Ondrej Palat (fourth to last in 2011 draft) is also doing quite well, outproducing all but 3 people in his 2011 draft year.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Larkin has definitely been the best player for the U.S. so far, driving the net like crazy, several shots already. Too bad the U.S. keeps taking terrible penalties.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
They're all pretty much deserved. Bit of Russian embellishment though.

Only one bad call (toe pick), but can't blame the ref for that, it "looked" like a trip. The penalty on larkin was iffy, as the goalie what outside the crease, but IIHF rules dictate any touching of a goalie is basically an auto penalty.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Larkin is a complete beast again. He's got like 2/3 of USA's scoring chances so far.

loudernow*

I could care less about USA being out. USA has been a trashy, disliked team in the USHL.

Aug 6, 2012
Respect for the Russians for sure, they've got a solid shot at the finals. But I gotta say this US team was an epic failure, lots of players underperformed and the coaching was atrocious. What the hell was that 5-on-3 formation? The played it like it was at even strength :laugh:

Larkin impressed big time. He was great in all zones but was also noticeably intense, which is great to see. He did dive twice which I'm not a big fan. Like I said, it looks like he needs to work on faceoffs but the rest of his game is looking phenomenal.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Mark Stone disagrees with this statement, and he was drafted 4 years ago late in the sixth round and is outproducing at least half of the first rounders that draft year. Ondrej Palat (fourth to last in 2011 draft) is also doing quite well, outproducing all but 3 people in his 2011 draft year.

Well yeah you can definitely find complimentary 2nd line guys like Palat and Stone, but the type of game breaking all Stars like Datsyuk and zetterberg will go early in the draft nowadays. Scouts might miss untapped offensive potential, but they no longer miss stars.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Well yeah you can definitely find complimentary 2nd line guys like Palat and Stone, but the type of game breaking all Stars like Datsyuk and zetterberg will go early in the draft nowadays. Scouts might miss untapped offensive potential, but they no longer miss stars.

The guy in your avi was a 4th rounder :sarcasm:

Also wasn't Jamie Benn a 5th rounder?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Larkin was fantastic, but needs to improve on faceoffs.

Don't read too much into it. There are different face off rules in the international tournaments. He did lose some relatively important ones though down the stretch.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I am totally biased, but I love the way that Carlo moves for a big guy. He will be a load when he fills out.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

How many Zetterbergs and Datsyuks are there period? Saying you won't find elite talents in the 6th and 7th rounds isn't tantamount to saying you won't find elite talents where you theoretically shouldn't. Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder. The Gaudreau hype is looking like it could be real. Nyquist has had plenty of game-breaking moments. And top 10 centers like Getzlaf and Giroux aren't supposed to be available at 19 and 22 overall, respectively.

There will always be late bloomers. Ergo, there will always be hidden gems in late rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad