Detroit Prospects at World Jr.'s

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Every player we draft must be exactly like another NHLer :sarcasm:

Most of our prospects remind me of Cy Denneny to be honest. I just really see a lot of him in them, especially where they play the game on the ice with the puck and the sticks.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Not super impressed with Hicketts this tourney. He definitely doesn't play small, so he dodges that criticism, but he hasn't taken very good care of the puck. He seems to turn it over a lot.

Agreed. Sloppy passing, lots of icing. In the previous game he was good but in this one he was not so hot. Just the fact that he got here though is a great step, hopefully he learned and continues his great play in the W. Nothing wrong with another good prospect

gojays

Jan 15, 2007
Agreed. Sloppy passing, lots of icing. In the previous game he was good but in this one he was not so hot. Just the fact that he got here though is a great step, hopefully he learned and continues his great play in the W. Nothing wrong with another good prospect

Don't worry. I have watched all his home games in junior. He rarely coughs up the puck.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I think we should be careful when using NHL standard to evaluate junior player. Details can be taught later on.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
I'd love for the Wings to take a shot at some of these undrafted Russians in the late rounds this year. Guys like Gavrikov and Sharov.
me too

i really wanted them to draft kucherov in '11 (someone even posted a picture of him wearing a DRW sweater. so he was probably a fan) and they had 2 2nd round picks... and now he's 12th in scoring. :amazed:

they did take marchenko and kadeykin, though.

DRW's success has depended in large part on getting great talents who fell in the draft or were undervalued, and i don't like how they almost entirely ignore russians, who usually fall in the draft.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Final WJC stats for our guys:

Larkin 5 games, 5+2=7, +7, 4 PIM, 24 SOG & 39% on draws
Holmström 7 games, 1+6=7, -2, 9 SOG & 54% on draws
Hicketts 7 games, 0+3=3, +3, 2 PIM, 4 SOG
Ehn 7 games, 0+2=2, -1, 2 PIM, 8 SOG & 60% on draws
Vähätalo 5 games, 0+0=0, +1, 5 SOG (got ice time in only two games?)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
me too

i really wanted them to draft kucherov in '11 (someone even posted a picture of him wearing a DRW sweater. so he was probably a fan) and they had 2 2nd round picks... and now he's 12th in scoring. :amazed:

they did take marchenko and kadeykin, though.

DRW's success has depended in large part on getting great talents who fell in the draft or were undervalued, and i don't like how they almost entirely ignore russians, who usually fall in the draft.

For an organization that was on the cutting edge regarding Russian players, we sure find ourselves being awfully reactionary on drafting/signing them now. Yet, our protégés, Yzerman and Nill, don't mind at all. Very weird.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
For an organization that was on the cutting edge regarding Russian players, we sure find ourselves being awfully reactionary on drafting/signing them now. Yet, our protégés, Yzerman and Nill, don't mind at all. Very weird.

I think it just ties back into Holland being absolutely terrified of taking any sort of risk nowadays

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only Russians the Wings have drafted lately were 7th rounders

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I am praying we get back on the bandwagon. I watch guys like Tarasenko, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Buchnevich go outside the top 15 and it makes me a bit sick we never are involved.

There are some good ones this year, so I'm praying we finally get back on board. Hopefully the fact that some of our Swedes are fleeing shows them it can happen with any foreign players.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dont think he was bad, especially if you really watch the other dmen. If you sat nd watched Bowey as much as you paid attention to Hicketts you would see more issues for example.

But he was super young in this tourney and wasnt even drafted, he'll return next year.

One way to look at it, he was good enough as an under ager to play a regualr shift and lots of special teams on a team that dominated the tourney and won gold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad