Contract Termination: [DET] Red Wings terminate contract of F Filip Zadina

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
What ammo?

you mean "lol your contract situation is layered in a way that has money coming off the books every year and you have a pipeline of prospects ready for their ELC and you paid a million too much for Insert player name" That ammo?

Uh, “layered” means nothing if the players don’t perform up to the contract. I guess it will be something to hang on to though.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Uh, “layered” means nothing if the players don’t perform up to the contract. I guess it will be something to hang on to though.

Sure but these contracts are short term. It's not an 8 year boat anchor situation.
In ALL cases except for Larkin, Copp and JT it's a 1-3 year deal.
We only have 3 players signed beyond 3 years.
The flexibility of these contracts is why you see a slight overpay.
It provides Detroit with a competitive roster and allows us to give our prospects time to develop.
As these contracts come off the books young guys will step up.

Next year, these contracts come off the books.
Perron - 4.75
Kubalik - 2.5
Sprong - 2
Ficher - 1.125
Ghostisbehere - 4.125
Reimer - 1.5
Varana 2.625 (50% retention)

We currently have Kasper, Mazur and Soderblom who look like they could replace three of the forwards and Edvinsson should be ready to replace Ghost. Thats 4 ELCs with 18M coming off the books.

It's clear as day what the plan is but everyone is so kneejerk they can't see it.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Zadina is a perfect example of talent minus IQ. He has good puck skills and when he's involved in the play, he does well. The problem is his very low hockey IQ is what keeps him from producing. He's the kind of player that either needs to play a top-6 role or not play at all, and if you're not producing on the top-6, you pretty much have no place in the line-up.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Zadina is a perfect example of talent minus IQ. He has good puck skills and when he's involved in the play, he does well. The problem is his very low hockey IQ is what keeps him from producing. He's the kind of player that either needs to play a top-6 role or not play at all, and if you're not producing on the top-6, you pretty much have no place in the line-up.
Sounds similar to Sprong

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

But...here's the thing. His puck skills AREN'T that great. I think they may actually be worse than they were when he was a junior.

Reactions: hn777 and sepster

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Unfortunately he can't learn IQ.

Going back to Komisarek who started playing hockey at 11. By that time most kids who love hockey have already put in thousands if hours of hockey. Even at the street level, stick and puck become second nature.

I watched Komi up close in Hamilton and you can see him taking that extra second to think what he had to do when a forward came at him, instead of being "instinctive" move. Resul was that he was either beaten like a rented mule or pulled himself way out of position. He NEVER learned and eventually, he was gone from the league.

Back to Zadina. As a pure goal scorer, if he can't see the ice at the NHL level by now, he will never "learn" how. Without any other skills to compensate, he's done.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
One thing I won't miss is reading a certain subset of Wings fans just torching Zadina at every opportunity. Same was happening to Necas and Zacha.

Don't get me wrong... By Xmas there may be a new fanbase saying the same thing.lol

Reactions: Ezekial

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
One thing I won't miss is reading a certain subset of Wings fans just torching Zadina at every opportunity. Same was happening to Necas and Zacha.

Don't get me wrong... By Xmas there may be a new fanbase saying the same thing.lol
It was really tough there at the end. I never really liked running Zadina because the organization always stuck up for his work ethic and dedication. He also took more heat because he could be blamed on Holland even though hilariously it was the most celebrated Holland pick in the moment I could remember in the 2000s.

I hope he finds a home and I hope he can find the confidence he lost. He still flashes good upside, he still looked like a NHL player a lot of the time.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It was really tough there at the end. I never really liked running Zadina because the organization always stuck up for his work ethic and dedication. He also took more heat because he could be blamed on Holland even though hilariously it was the most celebrated Holland pick in the moment I could remember in the 2000s.

I hope he finds a home and I hope he can find the confidence he lost. He still flashes good upside, he still looked like a NHL player a lot of the time.
This is exactly how I felt about JP/Bear on my oilers. Then they went to the Canes and it didn't get better. Time will tell. His buddy Kaut is already gone. Rough Czech summer.lol

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wait...what??? TERMINATE or buyout?

What's the grounds for a contract termination. Was that mutually agreed upon or something?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wait...what??? TERMINATE or buyout?

What's the grounds for a contract termination. Was that mutually agreed upon or something?
Terminate. And mutual.

Zadina requested a trade.
Yzerman tried, couldn't find one, and then waived him to see if someone wanted him for free.
Yzerman then said he's going to come to camp and then see where he lands roster wise.
Zadina's camp stated he wouldn't report to the AHL if assigned.
At this point, I'm guessing they discussed terminating the contract so Zadina could try to find an NHL gig at a lower cap hit.

Can all contracts be terminated like this with no cap penalty?
I would assume the league would have issues with contracts that are front loaded and the expensive years had already passed.

Zadina was the inverse. There was more actual money remaining than cap hit.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
By Elite prospect : "His awareness is indicative of his high level of hockey sense, and he knows how to make plays and scoring chances materialize. "

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Terminate. And mutual.

Zadina requested a trade.
Yzerman tried, couldn't find one, and then waived him to see if someone wanted him for free.
Yzerman then said he's going to come to camp and then see where he lands roster wise.
Zadina's camp stated he wouldn't report to the AHL if assigned.
At this point, I'm guessing they discussed terminating the contract so Zadina could try to find an NHL gig at a lower cap hit.

I would assume the league would have issues with contracts that are front loaded and the expensive years had already passed.

Zadina was the inverse. There was more actual money remaining than cap hit.

Kind of bonkers. He'd sacrifice that salary just to find a better NHL fit. Like that's millions of dollars up in smoke.

But it does speak to his desire to make it work in the NHL somewhere.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I would love it if Calgary takes a chance on him. I know we have some young prospects (Coronato) and a recent acquistion (Sharangovich) vying for a RW spot, but Zadina is in the right age group and is looking for a fresh start.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
By Elite prospect : "His awareness is indicative of his high level of hockey sense, and he knows how to make plays and scoring chances materialize. "
You’re dangerously close to learning the correct lesson about this quote but I feel like you won’t

Reactions: MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad