Confirmed Trade: [DET/PHI] Petr Mrazek (50% retained) for 2018 cndl 4th round pick and 2019 cndl 3rd round pick

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
On one hand, I like Mrazek, and have no ill will towards the Flyers, but it is reassuring as a Wings fan to see him struggle, even if a worse pick. Makes me feel a lot less cheated, I actually thought he’s be lights out for you guys

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
What happened to him becoming the face of a franchise as the #1?

DRW fans said it over and over again, noe the honeymoon phase is over.

DRW fans told me he was a top goaltender in this league not that long ago. Times change, sometimes very quickly.

Is it that unfair to let people place some hope in a player that has been good periodically but is struggling right now to bounce back when placed on a better team? No need to ridicule people for it.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
On one hand, I like Mrazek, and have no ill will towards the Flyers, but it is reassuring as a Wings fan to see him struggle, even if a worse pick. Makes me feel a lot less cheated, I actually thought he’s be lights out for you guys

It really doesn't help him (or any goalie) that he has to play for Hakstol. Hak is seemingly incapable of properly rotating goalies, even when they're of similar skill levels or the situation demands it. He'll play one guy for 30 straight games until he's completely fatigued and then he'll player the other guy 30 straight games until he's completely fatigued, and then they'll both be a mess by the end of the season.

He also thinks guys like Flip, Lehtera, Weise, MacDonald, and Hagg are shutdown players, rather than fringe NHLers, and actively tries to get match-ups where those guys are defending top lines.

It's headache-inducing stuff for fans to watch; I can't even imagine the migraines that the goalies have to endure.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
This is probably not the best timing but Mrazek makes Philly a legitimate threat imo. His athleticism will keep Philly in and ahead of games.
His athleticism is what gets him in trouble in that he too often relies on it imo. If he can learn how to play deeper, he's not small by any means, and use his athleticism to compliment his game he would vastly improve and be a ton more consistent.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mrazek has given up some bad goals regardless of who has been in front of him, or course it hasn't helped, either. No one the Flyers would get was going to make up the gap, and he isn't better than Elliott or Neuvirth.

The bottom line on Mrazek is that the Flyers needed an NHL goaltender since they ran out of them. Alex Lyon is technically 4th on the depth chart, and little indication that the Flyers see an NHL future for him, but he's been fine since he's had to come in the game against the Rangers.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'd really love it if he could stop sliding around the crease athletically when there's no need for it. Seriously, sometimes it looks like he's playing in 1988.

For what it's worth, I used to hate it when a certain former Detroit goalie did this...

... But that goalie was also Dominik Hasek.

Reactions: Starat327

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Reminds me of Ramo. Athletic but fundamentals and positioning srenta the best. So he makes highlight saves a lot but it's always because he is out of position

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Better than what he left in Detroit.

200.gif

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He looks pretty good this game. Still feel like he over complicates a lot of plays by relying on athleticism more than positioning though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He looks pretty good this game. Still feel like he over complicates a lot of plays by relying on athleticism more than positioning though.

That is why his hot stretches are intoxicating. He will go through periods where he plays with the correct positional fundamentals and looks like a Vezina guy. Petr overplays the angles too much it is a real problem on the PK in particular. I maintain he really isn't that far off from finding what he needs to consistency wise but it remains to be seen if he can find it. He isn't massive so he does have to challenge shots, but he just needs more relaxed movements in his game. I really think they should just lock him in a room and show him Brodeur tapes until his eyes bleed. He actually could play that way a decent amount but he seems busy trying to emulate Hasek too often.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
How will Detroit ever recover without the greatness of Mrazek and Smith :laugh:

I feel bad for you Philly honestly that Mrazek is destroying your playoff position.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

I feel bad for you Philly honestly that Mrazek is destroying your playoff position.
He's just adding to the misery of Manning, MacDonald, Filppula, Lehtera....

mja

Jan 7, 2005

No worries. It'll all work out when we miss the playoffs but win the draft lottery and pick Dahlin. :scared:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad