Confirmed Trade: [DET/NYR] Brendan Smith for 2018 2nd & 2017 3rd

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Smith's been a better player in the playoffs than regular season the last couple years so I can see why he got a decent return.

Brendan Smith was benched last year and only played in 3 of the 5 games against Tampa. He had 1 point.

year prior he was also benched, scoring no points in 5 games.

Prior to that, 0 points in 5 games against Boston.

Im not sure what you are referring to, but good and play-offs dont go hand in hand.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Out of 30 picks in a round, these are the notable players in rounds 2 and 3 from 2007 (10 years ago). Yes, I picked a random year, sue me.

2nd round:
PK Subban
Eric Tangradi
TJ Galliardi
Wayne Simmonds

3rd round:
Evgeni Dadonov (and only because I follow the KHL)

I mean that just tells me the 2nd and 3rd rounds were kind of crappy that year. I picked 2 other random years (2011 and 2005) and here are players that are similar to Smith's level in the NHL or better:

2nd round:
Boone Jenner
John Gibson
Dmitrij Jaskin
Victor Rask
Brandon Saad
Markus Granlund
William Karlsson
Nikita Kucherov
Xavier Ouellet (including b/c he outplayed Smith on the Red Wings)
Joel Edmundson

3rd round:
Vincent Trochek

And that's not including plenty of promising or decent guys like Leivo, Cousins, Lowry, Shore, Harrington, Prince, Nieto, Clendening, Grimaldi, etc. And then there's always the steals like Gaudreau etc. later the in the draft.

2nd round:
James Neal
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Justin Abdelkader
Paul Statsny
Guillame Latendresse (kind of gone now, but was effective player for a good chunk of time)
Mason Raymond (same as latendresse)
Adam McQuaid
Ondrej Pavelec

3rd round:
Kris Letang
Kris Russell
Jonathan Quick
Cody Franson
Ben Bishop

There are always good players in the upper rounds of every draft, and 2nd round players (especially in recent drafts) have an OK shot of making the NHL. Many of them are impactful. While most of them won't be stars, the ones that make it are usually at least at the level of a #5/6 defenseman - which is exactly what Smith was throughout his tenure with Detroit. He showed no signs that he was going to get any better here.

This was a fantastic trade by Holland. Hopefully Smith finds his game on the Rangers, but I for one am very pleased with this deal.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Brendan Smith was benched last year and only played in 3 of the 5 games against Tampa. He had 1 point.

year prior he was also benched, scoring no points in 5 games.

Prior to that, 0 points in 5 games against Boston.

Im not sure what you are referring to, but good and play-offs dont go hand in hand.

Points aren't everything and Smith was definitely a better player in the playoffs. With that said, this is still a big overpayment. I would have been happy with a 4th.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Can someone who watches him regularly tell me what kind of player he is? Don't say he sucks or whatever I just want to know if he has any untapped potential or what number D he is and how he plays

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Can someone who watches him regularly tell me what kind of player he is? Don't say he sucks or whatever I just want to know if he has any untapped potential or what number D he is and how he plays

He mishandles the puck quite often and is prone to brain farts.

As far as untapped potential? Maybe. Depends on if it's the change of scenery that he needs.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada

He is a #5/6D on a good team. I'd say on NYR he'll be #5 if he plays like he did in Detroit. He has a lot of offensive tools and is a fantastic skater, and is a decent defender as well. The issue is that he has absolutely horrible decision making and will pair each good play with an atrocious one. He is also prone to major screw ups in the D zone. If he gets relatively sheltered minutes with a good defensive D partner and is played to his strengths, I could see him blossoming into a passable/decent #4. He might still have some untapped offense in him.

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
What do you mean? He is great at mishandling the puck in his own end while providing turnovers. He does both those things very well.

Typical comments from a crap team with an amateur coach that doesn't know how to use players correctly. Red Wings no longer have creditability. Those days are over. Heard the same thing and worse about Holden and he's been pretty much tremendous all season.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Points aren't everything and Smith was definitely a better player in the playoffs. With that said, this is still a big overpayment. I would have been happy with a 4th.

He was benched the last 2 play-offs.

You are supposed to be a better player in the play-offs, yet he was benched.

Hes not a defensive defensemen, hes not a shut down defensemen, and hes not an offensive defensemen.

Brendan Smith is WAS a good prospect, who never took the next step. Hes prone to major gaffes, and isn't smart enough to read situations properly.

And all that said, for some ****en reason Ken Holland still wanted to give him 3.5mil a season.

Typical comments from a crap team with an amateur coach that doesn't know how to use players correctly. Red Wings no longer have creditability. Those days are over. Heard the same thing and worse about Holden and he's been pretty much tremendous all season.

Mike Babcock hated the guy too. Im guessing he lacks 'creditability' too. He's been a regular since 2012/2013. That team was a win away from going back to back. Yet he still couldn't lock down a top 4 spot on a team obviously in the decline, and saw time riding pine during the regular season and play-offs for 5 years.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Was Babcock an amateur coach? He didn't use Smith perfectly but Smith didn't do himself any favors by constantly making huge mistakes in the defensive zone.

The guy isn't a good player. If he finds his game on NYR that's great but he isn't a good player now.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Most Wings fans love to hate on this guy. He's not nearly as bad as they make it seem.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
His best asset is his skating and he isn't a pushover. He's not a fighter, but won't shy away from physical play.

His warts - he has ZERO hockey IQ. And you can expect him to commit atleast 1 bad penalty per game. He's not a shut-down guy, he's average at best in the D-zone. His offense never translated to the NHL.

To me, he's a bottom paring dman. Nothing special. He is what he is.

That said, I hope he does good in NY.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Most Wings fans love to hate on this guy. He's not nearly as bad as they make it seem.

Pretty accurate. He's a top four in my mind, and maybe could have been higher if allowed to develop properly, but he had to wait for the Erisson and Kindl experiments to finish, which basically just frustrated him. Babs only wanted pylons out there for D, other than Lidstrom (of course).

Honestly wish him well. He was a good soldier in Detroit. I don't where this hockey IQ thing is coming from either with some of our Detroit fans. Smitty was a friendly guy, probably too scared to make a mistake so he made more than expected.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Frankly, it doesn't matter. I'm assessing the value of the player by reputation, which is essentially that of a #4 D.

DRW fans should be happy about the deal, but shouldn't feel like they made out like bandits. Smith was traded for exactly what everyone should have expected him to get traded for.

Rangers fans should be happy too. This one is at least.

Smith is not a top-4 guy, not sure where you're getting your information from, but just because he plays on the top two pairing units in Detroit, it does not make him a top-4 guy.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
How the hell does Smith get a 2nd (next year) + 3rd??:laugh:

He'll fit in with NYR fine though, one more guy to turn the puck over in his own zone.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Smith is not a top-4 guy, not sure where you're getting your information from, but just because he plays on the top two pairing units in Detroit, it does not make him a top-4 guy.

Well Kronwall isn't a true #1, and whoever thinks Ericsson belongs in the top four should probably reconsider. Smith is fine as a top four, and makes even fewer mistakes than Big E, but okay. :)

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Yah sure. Start watching Smith on a game to game basis and you will understand.

Enjoy I know I will enjoy Smith not being on Detroit.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Well Kronwall isn't a true #1, and whoever thinks Ericsson belongs in the top four should probably reconsider. Smith is fine as a top four, and makes even fewer mistakes than Big E, but okay. :)

Kronwall is not a top-pairing and Ericsson is not a top-4, just because they were once, does not mean they are today. Smith has never been a top-4 guy, he may have shown flashes of it here and there, but never been consistent enough throughout a season to be a legitimate top-4 guy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Slightly overpay but about market value. Basically two 3rds valuewise. Also I don't think this deal happens unless McDonagh and Stepan vouched for Smith. We will see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad