Confirmed Trade: [DET/FLA] Thomas Vanek (50% retained) for Dylan McIlrath & cond. 2017 3rd Round Pick

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I honestly think his past two playoffs have been blown out of proportion, he was not good with Minny but with Montreal he was not too bad.

Seems like he was lost in minny, then refound himself in Detroit. They minny years must have impacted this trade

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah makes no sense not to play him in a top 6 role. Though I guess it depends on whats defined as "top 6" as I think FL balances its icetime among its top 9 forwards pretty evenly so being on the "3rd line" for Vanek with also getting a good amount of PP time will likely equate to what most would consider "top 6" icetime.
I was gonna say this too. Holland may have been able to get a pick in the 50-60 range at best for him. Its not like the quality of player drops significantly (especially in this draft) to that Arizona pick in the 3rd. People shouldnt look at it like its a "3rd" and just look at it like its the 64th pick in the draft (and McIllrath).

Lately it's been Barkov and co at 20-24m TOI, Trocheck and Co at 19-21min TOI and then 8-10 mins for the 3rd and 4th lines.
Rowe doesn't trust the bottom six other than MacKenzie and Sceviour here and there.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Detroit got fleeced. A third round pick for a pure goal scorer on an expiring contract. Are you kidding me? :laugh:
They must see something in McIllrath otherwise it's really bad.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Great trade for Florida, not the best return for Detroit but thats the way it goes sometimes I guess. Will be rooting for Vanek, Ott, Jurco and Smith in the playoffs

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Detroit got fleeced. A third round pick for a pure goal scorer on an expiring contract. Are you kidding me? :laugh:
They must see something in McIllrath otherwise it's really bad.

What are they supposed to do if no one else can beat it? I wouldn't say they got fleeced. They got Vanek on a cheap one year deal and traded him for assets. The market just wasn't there for him.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Big picture this worked for everyone... Vanek got to show he can still play, Detroit got him for cheap and ended up being able to flip him for what we hope to be the 1st pick in the 3rd round (a lot of people figured we would only get a 2nd. Well a 2nd of a cup finalist is pick 59-60, if they make playoffs we get pick 61 so not that far off)
And Florida gets a nice rental for a run at the playoffs... Trade looks even better for Detroit if he comes back in the off season

I'm laughing at everyone saying we got fleeced... We took a player that is a ufa, moved him for what could be like 62, 63 overall, added some help in the minors... Lol what did we lose, last I checked were trying to tank so losing skill and getting picks back is a good thing?mm

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Big picture this worked for everyone... Vanek got to show he can still play, Detroit got him for cheap and ended up being able to flip him for what we hope to be the 1st pick in the 3rd round (a lot of people figured we would only get a 2nd. Well a 2nd of a cup finalist is pick 59-60, if they make playoffs we get pick 61 so not that far off)
And Florida gets a nice rental for a run at the playoffs... Trade looks even better for Detroit if he comes back in the off season

I'm laughing at everyone saying we got fleeced... We took a player that is a ufa, moved him for what could be like 62, 63 overall, added some help in the minors... Lol what did we lose, last I checked were trying to tank so losing skill and getting picks back is a good thing?mm

A 3rd rounder is likely to be a career AHLer anyway. So they got a lot of help in the AHL. The Griffins must be stoked. The Wings? This team is a dumpster fire.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
A 3rd rounder is likely to be a career AHLer anyway. So they got a lot of help in the AHL. The Griffins must be stoked. The Wings? This team is a dumpster fire.

And you would have been complaining if Holland opted to hold onto him than receive anything in return.

Not Holland's fault that Vanek has a bad rep and unrealistic fans thought he would return more.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Let's us move down one of our vets Jagr or Jokinen for next to nothing and gives us scoring on the wing for next to nothing. Tallon scored here

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Isn't Minnesota still paying Vanek from that crazy deal they made on him? They got ****ed not the Wings. We picked him up for almost nothing. Guy is decent top 6 forward who sucks in the playoffs whose coming off being a buyout. 33 yrs old too doesn't help.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011

'In case he comes back?' How often does a player get traded (as a rental) and then re-sign with the team that traded him? Do you think Vanek particularly liked it in Detroit or something?

It doesn't look like a good deal for Detroit since Vanek was considered one of the better forwards on the 'trading block' (because of his UFA status). Isn't Detroit trying to make the playoffs? So, you either keep him to help you do that or make a trade because A) you want solid prospects or high picks back or B) you don't think he'll resign.

Do you think they accomplished A)?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
'In case he comes back?' How often does a player get traded (as a rental) and then re-sign with the team that traded him? Do you think Vanek particularly liked it in Detroit or something?

It doesn't look like a good deal for Detroit since Vanek was considered one of the better forwards on the 'trading block' (because of his UFA status). Isn't Detroit trying to make the playoffs? So, you either keep him to help you do that or make a trade because A) you want solid prospects or high picks back or B) you don't think he'll resign.

No Detroit is not trying to make the playoffs, if they catch a crazy run great but the young guys will have to do it.

Vanek has talked pretty fondly about Detroit for most of the season and that he would consider them this off-season recently even if moved.

What the market tells us is he might not be in demand this off-season, so Detroit has less competition. This far out if there were a couple teams miffed by the return that would be circulating. This was about what they could get, very likely to be the Arizona pick in the 3rd round which wouldn't have been much different than the late second that has been rumored recently. The market just wasn't there for whatever reason. I find it interesting because the Vanek playing in Detroit this year is the guy most know from Buffalo. He has been exceptional. So great pickup for Florida.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Think it's one hell of a steal for Florida on the condition if he plays the same was he did with the wings.

Really hope he resigns in Detroit this summer.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

He seemed to like it here he played very well here. He's already built chemistry with Frans and aa. His family lives here right now and vanek said he's tired of moving around. Holland has no problems giving 30+ players long contracts with NTC. Him signing here really isn't that crazy

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
He seemed to like it here he played very well here. He's already built chemistry with Frans and aa. His family lives here right now and vanek said he's tired of moving around. Holland has no problems giving 30+ players long contracts with NTC. Him signing here really isn't that crazy

I can see him getting resigned for 3 years around 2.5mil.

Not that I like that deal, I just see it as a Holland move.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
grand larceny by detroit. McI Boy's a top4D in this league.

Smith and Vanek for McIlrath, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd

Kenny Holland > Yzerman

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
grand larceny by detroit. McI Boy's a top4D in this league.

Smith and Vanek for McIlrath, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd

Kenny Holland > Yzerman

Mcl didn't even manage to hold down a spot on Rangers defence - and they have the worst defence in the league.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Still dangerous offensively.

His vision this year has been off the charts. Made some sauces that just make you whistle under your breath. Still deadly quick hands in tight and around the net too.

He has been a dangerous man this year. Great trade for the Panthers! I legit think he could move the metre for them.. for basically nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad