Confirmed Trade: [DET/FLA] Thomas Vanek (50% retained) for Dylan McIlrath & cond. 2017 3rd Round Pick

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
I don't know, this is the first in a long time that he comes to my radar, the last time was during his draft year, so shows how much I know about the kid.

Looking for youtube footages of him has been a challenge, 95% of the videos are his fights, oh well, at least we got a tough guy that sticks up for his teammates...
Understood....this is his third organization this season....made it through waivers unclaimed twice this year. That should speak volumes.

You guys got a third pair (at best) defenseman for your minor league club, and he fights. I'm not thinking he will be an integral part of your rebuild.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Tough to blame this one on Holland. If the interest isn't there then what's he to do? Hold onto him and get nothing? This is also now the second time that Vanek was one of the more high profile TDL targets and was traded for way less than expected. GMs must not value him very highly.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'm sure they'll give him a look to see if he's worth signing, may be a long shot, but he is a big physical dman, something our team lacks.

Over who? He is significantly worse than Sproul/Jensen and they passed on opportunities to claim him for free. He is nothing more than a contract dump.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I like this. Adds forward depth to a healthy Panthers team and we all know the potential is there with Vanek. If he shows up is the big question obviously. Atleast the Panthers are trying.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
low risk deal. Vanek isn't going to be asked to play a top 6 role. Hopefully he fits nicely on the 3rd line and the 2nd PP. If not, he goes to the press box and the panthers go back to their pre-deadline lineup and are short a 3rd round pick.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
low risk deal. Vanek isn't going to be asked to play a top 6 role. Hopefully he fits nicely on the 3rd line and the 2nd PP. If not, he goes to the press box and the panthers go back to their pre-deadline lineup and are short a 3rd round pick.

If you're not playing Vanek top-6, then you're wasting your time. Vanek produces best in top-6 situations, he's a very creative hockey player and will improve the production of your other top players.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
But why pull the trigger so early in the morning? There is plenty of time to the deadline for someone to get desperate as teams upgrade, the worst case scenario is we miss out on a 3rd rounder, I'm more than fine with that.

If Florida makes the playoffs the Wings get pick 64 (almost assuredly will be this pick). If Holland waits out and snags a 2nd from a contender he would get a pick about 5 spots higher than that. Not much incentive to hold out when there was apparently no interest. Disappointing, but he got something at least.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Every playoff team is going to regret not topping what Vanek went for. GMs just base everything on reputation these days. Florida and Washington huge deadline winners this year.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
THANK GOD it's over. I was so annoyed by all the posters saying he'd fetch 1st.

I think it's a case of Red Wings fans seeing firsthand how good he's looked this season while being either unaware or ignoring just how bad his rep is around the league.

I didn't make guesses as to what he'd bring in return but I too would've thought it was better than what the Wings got. I wasn't really aware just how bad his reputation was around the league because it's really the only explanation for such a bad deal.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Is he really that bad in the playoffs? He's been great for us, probably our best play.
Even khan tweeted that the return was alarmingly low

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I can't believe all he returned was a 3rd. At the very least he is still a 20 goal scorer. That alone should have brought back a 2nd especially at 50%. I knew he wouldn't return a first but really, a 3rd?! Vanek was dealt for more the first time then the other two times combined.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
If you're not playing Vanek top-6, then you're wasting your time. Vanek produces best in top-6 situations, he's a very creative hockey player and will improve the production of your other top players.
Yeah makes no sense not to play him in a top 6 role. Though I guess it depends on whats defined as "top 6" as I think FL balances its icetime among its top 9 forwards pretty evenly so being on the "3rd line" for Vanek with also getting a good amount of PP time will likely equate to what most would consider "top 6" icetime.
If Florida makes the playoffs the Wings get pick 64 (almost assuredly will be this pick). If Holland waits out and snags a 2nd from a contender he would get a pick about 5 spots higher than that. Not much incentive to hold out when there was apparently no interest. Disappointing, but he got something at least.
I was gonna say this too. Holland may have been able to get a pick in the 50-60 range at best for him. Its not like the quality of player drops significantly (especially in this draft) to that Arizona pick in the 3rd. People shouldnt look at it like its a "3rd" and just look at it like its the 64th pick in the draft (and McIllrath).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad