Hope Frans is ok
Coreau is the tank master
Pretty fun game, larkin was really good

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Coreau is the tank master

My feelings on him has been a real roller coaster.

Wings sign him him: "He showed absolutely nothing in college so I'm not at all excited about this, but he'll probably never seen NHL ice."
Wings play him: "OK, maybe he's a sleeper Ben Bishop!"
Wings keep playing him: "He's a lot like Ben Bishop but literally sleeping."

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is Danny Dekeyser on the ice in overtime, ever? I would rather they play 3 forwards than him!

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
OT record is 3-10. That's definitely on the coach.

To Blashill's defense, he did start Larkin and Mantha last night, and we still lost. Tough to blame that one last night on Blash, but for the most part this season he has absolutely made questionable decisions in OT, including starting Z several times. He also likes to give grinders shifts in OT for some reason.

Look at Tampa, they roll out 3 sets of 3 in OT and thats it. They don't give Cedric Paquette shifts in O.T, yet we for some reason Blashill gives Helm, Abdelkader and Glendening shifts.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
To Blashill's defense, he did start Larkin and Mantha last night, and we still lost. Tough to blame that one last night on Blash, but for the most part this season he has absolutely made questionable decisions in OT, including starting Z several times. He also likes to give grinders shifts in OT for some reason.

Look at Tampa, they roll out 3 sets of 3 in OT and thats it. They don't give Cedric Paquette shifts in O.T, yet we for some reason Blashill gives Helm, Abdelkader and Glendening shifts.
So who would you ice in OT? You don't want grinders. You don't want Zetterberg. We conclusively saw what Larkin and Mantha are capable of. Have Nyquist play all 5 minutes? Who?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
So who would you ice in OT? You don't want grinders. You don't want Zetterberg. We conclusively saw what Larkin and Mantha are capable of. Have Nyquist play all 5 minutes? Who?

I never said I don't want Z on the ice, I said I don't want to START Z. I guess you must have missed that part.

-Larkin, Mantha, Green
-AA, Z, Daley
-Nielsen, Nyquist, Dekeyser

Go with a rotation like this. AA should be a guarantee to see the ice in OT. You need speed and skill in OT, not grinders. I don't know why Blashill has such a big love affair with Abdelkader.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I never said I don't want Z on the ice, I said I don't want to START Z. I guess you must have missed that part.

-Larkin, Mantha, Green
-AA, Z, Daley
-Nielsen, Nyquist, Dekeyser

Go with a rotation like this. AA should be a guarantee to see the ice in OT. You need speed and skill in OT, not grinders. I don't know why Blashill has such a big love affair with Abdelkader.
Again, we saw L & M together in OT last night. They both blew their defensive coverage in stellar fashion. The difference in speed between Z & AA is a big detriment, plus AA is terrible defensively. The only semi-decent pairing of yours is the last one, except DeK is a waste of ice.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Again, we saw L & M together in OT last night. They both blew their defensive coverage in stellar fashion. The difference in speed between Z & AA is a big detriment, plus AA is terrible defensively. The only semi-decent pairing of yours is the last one, except DeK is a waste of ice.

My groupings are interchangeable. Take those 6 forwards and play whoever you want with whoever you want and rotate. Start with speed/skill and go from there.

Darren Helm has no business being on the ice in OT. Neither does Glendening. By using these players, Blashill is giving off the message that we are trying to get the game to the shootout, instead of playing for the win.

We're 3-10, so obviously whatever their currnt philosophy on O.T is, isn't working.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Especially with Nielsen out at that point. I'd primarily roll with the kids and hope they learn from things like last night. I think the weak spot is our blueline, still. Dekeyser's offensive game has disappeared, Daley should probably be our third option for over time...after that, the only other guy I'd bother sending over the boards is Green who has his own issues. None of these guys are premier skaters, none are massive offense generators, they really just tick the box as relatively functional defensemen. Guys like Hronek and Saarijarvi will hopefully be answers here.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
Ice capades captain!! That was a clean hit. 100% clean. Not in the head, didn't jump, and was about .1 seconds after the guy got rid of the puck. Hilarious reputation call, but I don't think Witkowski has ever been suspended in the NHL for anything except that Calgary incident which was a joke in itself. Clutterbuck is a diving idiot with more career cheap shots than Luke. Marchand has a rap sheet 10x the size of Witkowski's. Tom Wilson, Watson, Paquette are all pugilists with more suspensions yet aren't labeled by officials like that. Absurd.

No Hit League.
The Boston broadcast agreed. Was a clean hit.

Thanks for the fun game guys. Best of luck moving forward!

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
My feelings on him has been a real roller coaster.

Wings sign him him: "He showed absolutely nothing in college so I'm not at all excited about this, but he'll probably never seen NHL ice."
Wings play him: "OK, maybe he's a sleeper Ben Bishop!"
Wings keep playing him: "He's a lot like Ben Bishop but literally sleeping."
He’s big and has okay positioning, which he can get by ok in the AHL. I think he’s just too slow for the nhl

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
This OT talk is a perfect distillation of this board. Only offense matters, nevermind that 3-on-3 magnifies defensive positioning and common sense and we don't have a lot of either on the team, especially among the kids. "We need speed on the ice." No. We need guys on the ice that aren't complete morons and can see the play developing. If they also have speed, great.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This OT talk is a perfect distillation of this board. Only offense matters, nevermind that 3-on-3 magnifies defensive positioning and common sense and we don't have a lot of either on the team, especially among the kids. "We need speed on the ice." No. We need guys on the ice that aren't complete morons and can see the play developing. If they also have speed, great.
Good skaters, with high hockey IQ, vision, and creativity. Sounds like a draft strategy I could get behind.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

I mean, it's really just one guy arguing against putting third liners out there who likely won't score. It's sparked a nice discussion which is fine by me.

I think doing that is fine, but don't START them in OT when you have Larkin, AA, Mantha on the bench and ready to go. I'm good with Larkin and Mo starting despite what happened - it's a learning experience.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That's on the GM. Kinda amazing we have so many guys getting paid absurd amounts of money who can't play 3 on 3 hockey. But hey at least they're gritttayyy.

Reactions: RedWingzz

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It was pretty late and he made contact with the head. It was an unnecessary hit and there was no reason for it to be so high. I'm not sure Backes was trying to get his head, but he did. I would not be surprised if he gets fined

ok thanks. Though if it was truly late and he made head contact, intentional or not that should be a suspension.

Interestingly they didn't have the hit on the NHL.com highlights. I would consider a questionable hit that takes a top 6 player out of the game highlight worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad