GDT: DET @ BOS | 7:00 EST | 3/6/2018

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm trying to stay positive about the number of games that have gone this way for the wings this year. Hoping that it toughens the younger guys and makes them want to win more when it really matters in years to come when the team is better equipped.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It was pretty late and he made contact with the head. It was an unnecessary hit and there was no reason for it to be so high. I'm not sure Backes was trying to get his head, but he did. I would not be surprised if he gets fined
There's now a thread about it on the main board that includes video.

I could see him getting fined for it.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Backes to have hearing with Player Safety for actions in Bruins game

Forward faces discipline from NHL for roughing penalty against Red Wings center Nielsen

NHL.com @NHL
8:16 AM
cut.jpg

Boston Bruins forward David Backes will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety on Wednesday for his hit against Detroit Red Wings forward Frans Nielsen.
The incident occurred at 19:48 of the first period at TD Garden on Tuesday. Backes was issued a minor penalty for roughing.
The Bruins won 6-5 in overtime.
The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: interference. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I rag on Frans but really hope he's OK. Seems like one of the nicest people imaginable.

After the 1st and 2nd (3rd and 4th) goals on Coreau my heart sunk to the pit of my stomach. Such a nightmare for him and I felt terrible. He must be a better goaltender but my guess is nerves had to have played a part in him falling to pieces.

Will Coreau get another chance this season? Is he better than what we saw last night?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Again, we saw L & M together in OT last night. They both blew their defensive coverage in stellar fashion. The difference in speed between Z & AA is a big detriment, plus AA is terrible defensively. The only semi-decent pairing of yours is the last one, except DeK is a waste of ice.
I can point to times where Z has failed defensively.

One single failure doesn't mean they're a mistake to ever put on the ice ever. That's ridiculous.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
And 3 games for Backes. Fair if you ask me.

DoPS video:

Looked like he wanted to avoid a blindside hit, but in the process ended up smacking his shoulderpad into Nielsen's chin. Fair suspension based on the fact that he should've known better and let up instead of trying to force the hit on a bad angle. That and it was waaaaay late and resulted in an injury.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Looked like he wanted to avoid a blindside hit, but in the process ended up smacking his shoulderpad into Nielsen's chin. Fair suspension based on the fact that he should've known better and let up instead of trying to force the hit on a bad angle. That and it was waaaaay late and resulted in an injury.

Yeah, the lateness is what stands out for me. I'm not sure I see it as something worthy of a suspension, but I won't argue against it. I don't like that they cite Nielsen being injured on the play as an apparent reason for the suspension, though. If a play is deserving of a suspension it shouldn't matter if a guy was injured or not.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->