GDT: Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures: Devils @ Islanders, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
i thought lovejoy had a solid game.

i didn't really notice him, which means he played decently.

mojo and gibby coming out in the third was very relieving, even tho i didn't really notice them either because i was buzzin on both the goal outburst and corona.

love weeknight games that i get to crash in hoboken after.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dialamo

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
i thought lovejoy had a solid game.

i didn't really notice him, which means he played decently.

mojo and gibby coming out in the third was very relieving, even tho i didn't really notice them either because i was buzzin on both the goal outburst and corona.

love weeknight games that i get to crash in hoboken after.

Lovejoy is a decent third pairing guy. I don't think it's a coincidence that he looks better now that he's being used properly. Of the 22 games he's played this year, he's only played 18 or more minutes 4 times, and only 20 or more minutes twice.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Ah, it's a good morning.

Despite that losing streak, one point ahead of Columbus with three games in hand. Three.

Tomorrow is even bigger. Chance to close the gap to three points behind Washington with two games in hand.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Anyone have a video of that Nico rush near the end where he set up Hall coming off the bench?
Funny seeing the Dman thinking he had him covered, then going, oh ****.

Getting caught up with our GDT but when this happened I seriously thought it was Wood at first. That says A LOT about how fast he was moving and how forceful this play was.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
what a game. so relieved to see them be that fast and smothering offensive team again. just need to carry that momentum but they can beat the caps if they play like that. hopefully they'll be out of sync coming out of the break and we can jump on them in the first period

feerlessleadr

Jul 1, 2006
New Jersey
one interesting thing I just noticed-

on Severson's first goal, the D pairing was Vatanen-Severson

on Severson's second goal, the D pairing was Severson-Lovejoy

so they are experimenting with DMen playing their off side it seems
In the intermission interview, Sevo said that for his second goal, they were in the middle of a line change for the D, which is why he was out there with Lovejoy. I'm assuming that is the case as well for his first goal as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think someone else said this... but I think that was the loudest Devils fans have ever been at an away arena. That was awesome hear.
Too bad they are moving out of Brooklyn.

But I think that it might say something about where we are, and where we are going as a fanbase.

Reactions: njdevil26

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Too bad they are moving out of Brooklyn.

But I think that it might say something about where we are, and where we are going as a fanbase.
Agreed. We have a decent fan base that has been waiting for this team to be good again. Even Amanda and Arda said in a recent podcast that one of the things they have been most surprised with this season is how there are Devils fans EVERYWHERE. Good contingents in other cities. I remember being really surprised at how loud Devil fans were in Colorado last month.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agreed. We have a decent fan base that has been waiting for this team to be good again. Even Amanda and Arda said in a recent podcast that one of the things they have been most surprised with this season is how there are Devils fans EVERYWHERE. Good contingents in other cities. I remember being really surprised at how loud Devil fans were in Colorado last month.
At least in terms of NJ, with the way travel and HS hockey has grown over the last 10 years, I think the fan base was growing even while they were a bad team.

If this team can become a perennial playoff team, playing this uptempo style, with the high profile young players? I think new owners bought in at a good time.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it's the perfect time for the fan base to explode because it just at the age where a 2nd generation of lifelong devils fans are being created. im 34 and im basically as old as you can be growing up a devils fan - my dad didn't grow up with them and obviously his family didn't, so it takes time to build that kind of team loyalty that spreads like this. now that my sisters having kids and we're taking them to games it's inevitable that the first generation of fans starts growing into a second generation and it's going to grow that way. you don't just win new fans by convincing lifelong ranger fans to change allegiance or winning over casual fans

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
i don't foresee devils fans having a much harder time getting to belmont as we do barclays, considering there's an lirr platform which will be converted to full-time service literally yards from where they're going to build and will likely mean a one seat ride from ny penn, which, by extension, equates to a two-seat train ride connecting the rock and belmont.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
that's still different from just being able to take the subway from anywhere in the city, even if it's not technically "harder"

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I went to the game in Denver in December and the entire bowl was sprinkled with Devils fans and we were all LOUD. Good to see.

Reactions: Colin226

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
that's still different from just being able to take the subway from anywhere in the city, even if it's not technically "harder"

from a price standpoint, of course. from a time standpoint, eh, very debatable.

i doubt it would take much longer to get from newark penn to belmont using nj transit and lirr than it does going from newark penn to barclays using path and the R train. and even if it does take a little longer it's still way better than the days of paying three tolls (throgs neck is tolled both ways) and parking and not being able to partake in booze.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
You have to transfer when taking the subway too. It’s not like Atlantic Ave is a major subway station and there are multiple lines running through it. Belmont would really be easier from the city because all you need to do to take the subway to any LIRR station because most lines will run through it.

Anyways we’ve always had good showings out on the Island.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
You have to transfer when taking the subway too. It’s not like Atlantic Ave is a major subway station and there are multiple lines running through it. Belmont would really be easier from the city because all you need to do to take the subway to any LIRR station because most lines will run through it.

Anyways we’ve always had good showings out on the Island.

in fairness atlantic ave is a pretty awesome station.

i love that i can take path to wtc, then take the R train to barclays since it's the first train platform to your right after crossing the oculus. then on the way back i typically take whatever shows up first out the 2, 3, 4, or 5 since those trains are the closest to the subway entrance right in front of barclays and they all go to fulton which is like a two-minute walk back to wtc.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
We chose to watch the NYb MSG broadcast because our crap cable system has MSG2+ or whatever it's called in standard definition. :mad: Anyway, did anyone else catch Goring whining about the NYb having to play the second of B2Bs against a team which didn't play the night before for the 5th time this season? Please.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Moore and Butcher make me very nervous.

At least with Butcher you understand that he is still learning. But there is still a lot of wondering in his own zone. His first couple of steps look like he's stuck in mud, his starts are pretty ugly, he doesn't have much if any closing speed but he's been able to mitigate that with positioning most of the time... I'm still not sure what the long term outlook is for player like him. Right now I personally think his skating precludes him from being a reliable top 4 option. But maybe he progresses?

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
in summary they need more day games lol

This. My 4 year old is skating already, loves the Devils, knows every player on the roster and their number (Mom thinks I should work on the alphabet and counting with him but what does she know), yet I can only get him to 2-3 games this year because there are no matinees. It's really annoying. Growing up I loved those 1 PM and 3 PM starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad