Proposal: Desharnais to Philly

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
DD does not fit with what Hextall desires

DD doesn't fit what anyone desires.

And yet, here he is once again the object of a thread when everyone knows he's a toxic asset.

Habs fans, please let it go -- Bergevin and Therrien will never give up on the guy, maybe it's time you came to terms with it.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I could see Desharnais getting traded for a lesser cap dump and mid round pick and then the Habs would buy that contract out. Would have to be less than Desharnais' hit though.

The other team moves out a player they're not using and takes a small amount more salary for a player they will use. Not sure if it would work here but I can see that happening somewhere.
Good luck with that. Please leave the Flyers out of it ;)

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
If the extra pay is that critical, perhaps a tweak to the deal?

Read & Chris VandeVelde
-for-
Desharnais & Torrey Mitchell

(Disclaimer: I have no idea what you think of Mitchell. He's just a reasonably small contract with an extra year.)

Thought process: Your guys want DD gone. We want to shed the extra year of Read's deal. In order to balance out the deals a bit, we take back Mitchell, to cut down on your cap hit next year, and send you VandeVelde, to free up some space for us to take Mitchell this year.

Probably doesn't address the concerns in the way you'd prefer, and you may prefer to keep DD than to add Read even if we do make some adjustments to smooth out the cap situation (though I gather that's not the unanimous view of your fans) but it might help bridge that gap a little bit.

I don't like the idea of trading Mitchell (leadership, RHC, Montreal kid) but I can see where you're going with this. I'm not overly familiar with Vandevalde or Bellemare but in my little research, I think I'd prefer Bellemare (can play C, French-speaking) over the more physical Vandevalde.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't like the idea of trading Mitchell (leadership, RHC, Montreal kid) but I can see where you're going with this. I'm not overly familiar with Vandevalde or Bellemare but in my little research, I think I'd prefer Bellemare (can play C, French-speaking) over the more physical Vandevalde.

I can understand that; my goal in moving VdV is taking Hakstol's security blanket away. He overplays VdV, whereas his usage of Bellemare is pretty much exactly spot-on.

I don't know that it'd be a deal-breaker on our end, but that's my thought process there.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Though Montreal is not in the market for a #5/6 LD, I would mos def do a Desharnais for Nick Schultz trade. Saves us $1.25M (plus whoever we move to make room for him) this year than clear the next and he's actually a good player. That's too easy.

I need at least a second Philly fan behind this though. Anyone?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Though Montreal is not in the market for a #5/6 LD, I would mos def do a Desharnais for Nick Schultz trade. Saves us $1.25M (plus whoever we move to make room for him) this year than clear the next and he's actually a good player. That's too easy.

I'd consider it if we could deal Read elsewhere for a pick/minimum salary guy. We can't afford to resign Schenn and our other RFAs, take on that additional $1.25M, and still leave the $2M Hexy wants to preserve for flexibility's sake unless we move Read/Streit/AMac (heh).

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004

He'd be 7th or 8th dman on the Habs most likely, unless Therrien falls in love with him. But you never have too many defensemen. They get injured all the time

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
He'd be 7th or 8th dman on the Habs most likely, unless Therrien falls in love with him. But you never have too many defensemen. They get injured all the time

Until someone proves otherwise, our defense depth chart would go like this:

Weber
Markov
Petry
Emelin
Schultz
Beaulieu
Pateryn
Barberio
Redmond

We would trade Emelin or Barberio to make roster space (and extra cap space) for him, possibly even Pateryn.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Until someone proves otherwise, our defense depth chart would go like this:

Weber
Markov
Petry
Emelin
Schultz
Beaulieu
Pateryn
Barberio
Redmond

We would trade Emelin or Barberio to make roster space (and extra cap space) for him, possibly even Pateryn.
Schultz has slowed down a lot in the last few years. No way he'd pass Beaulieu on the depth chart. And Barberio is now the only puck moving D so he's part of the 3 pairing. Pateryn plays the other side

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
DD doesn't fit what anyone desires.

And yet, here he is once again the object of a thread when everyone knows he's a toxic asset.

Habs fans, please let it go -- Bergevin and Therrien will never give up on the guy, maybe it's time you came to terms with it.

Well if Bergevin has been trying to trade him for many months now, then obviously he has "given up" on the guy. Or at least sees that he doesn't fit in the roster anymore.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well if Bergevin has been trying to trade him for many months now, then obviously he has "given up" on the guy. Or at least sees that he doesn't fit in the roster anymore.

And yet, he won't send him to the AHL, nor did he buy him out. Only way he gets moved is if the Habs take on a worse contract or if they let go of a better asset along with him as a condition for the acquiring team to receive the better asset.

One thing is certain, DD will always be overplayed and wrongly deployed by Therrien, who can't seem to cut the umbilical cord that unites them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
And yet, he won't send him to the AHL, nor did he buy him out. Only way he gets moved is if the Habs take on a worse contract or if they let go of a better asset along with him as a condition for the acquiring team to receive the better asset.

One thing is certain, DD will always be overplayed and wrongly deployed by Therrien, who can't seem to cut the umbilical cord that unites them.

True. He's benefited from having Therrien as his coach, who has given him top minutes and first PP unit assignments when others deserved those more. I do, however, feel like this year, he will not be on the line-up (at least not at first). MB will wait to see how things shape up at training camp to see how far some of the prospects have come. If they perform as I personally believe they will (Hudon in particular), they will force MB to place DD on waivers and if he isn't claimed, he'll be sent to the AHL. MB is in no rush to send him to the minors yet. Not to mention if MB can land Shipachyov if he is able to come to the NHL, that will shake things up.

I do feel like DD will be a real good mentor to the young guys in the minors. He will be more useful to the organization down there.

Buying him out will save more cap space but, Habs still have Parenteau this season and then they'll have DD on the books next year. If they send him to the minors, they only save 950K on the cap this year, but will save his entire 3.5M next season instead of still having 2/3 of his AAV on the cap next season.

If they land Shipachyov, I can see them buying DD out because they'll need the space almost immediately to make sure they have Ship's cap within the limit.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
True. He's benefited from having Therrien as his coach, who has given him top minutes and first PP unit assignments when others deserved those more. I do, however, feel like this year, he will not be on the line-up (at least not at first). MB will wait to see how things shape up at training camp to see how far some of the prospects have come. If they perform as I personally believe they will (Hudon in particular), they will force MB to place DD on waivers and if he isn't claimed, he'll be sent to the AHL. MB is in no rush to send him to the minors yet. Not to mention if MB can land Shipachyov if he is able to come to the NHL, that will shake things up.

I do feel like DD will be a real good mentor to the young guys in the minors. He will be more useful to the organization down there.

Buying him out will save more cap space but, Habs still have Parenteau this season and then they'll have DD on the books next year. If they send him to the minors, they only save 950K on the cap this year, but will save his entire 3.5M next season instead of still having 2/3 of his AAV on the cap next season.

If they land Shipachyov, I can see them buying DD out because they'll need the space almost immediately to make sure they have Ship's cap within the limit.

The only way I see Desharnais not in the starting lineup is if they sign Shipyachov or trade him. I've gotten no sense that he has fallen out of favour with Habs management, nor have I heard any reports. Though he had a down year (most of the team did), he's still good for 35-45pts at the NHL level. He's not an AHLer.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'd rather just waive him, send him to the minors and eat the 2 million and change for the year and move on. Although, that would never happen because he's one of the favourites in the room.

What about Desharnais and a 2nd for a 3rd?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'd rather just waive him, send him to the minors and eat the 2 million and change for the year and move on. Although, that would never happen because he's one of the favourites in the room.

What about Desharnais and a 2nd for a 3rd?

Trade doesn't work unless we send just about equal salary back.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Trade doesn't work unless we send just about equal salary back.

Ugh. I can't imagine Philly would be willing to send a player of use to MTL back in exchange for this player. Unfortunately, we're stuck with him. Just have to pray the moron behind the bench doesn't do anything stupid.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
He's way more respected throughout the league than he is on HF. I'd be perfectly fine with him as our #3C if his options for wingers weren't Shaw, Ghetto or Byron... the caphit is a bit tough too. We're too small up front.

As for trade options, they're out there. There's two in this thread already (though none of these posters are Ron Hextall) and there was the talked about one with Hartnell a while back as well. Just because some Habs fans want Desharnais gone but won't except that we'd have to take a not-so-good contract in return, doesn't mean there aren't options.

So Desharnais for Schultz... you wouldn't? I would. I'd even retain a bit.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ugh. I can't imagine Philly would be willing to send a player of use to MTL back in exchange for this player. Unfortunately, we're stuck with him. Just have to pray the moron behind the bench doesn't do anything stupid.

The common one is Matt Read. If he gets his wheels back, he's a useful middle 6 winger. Or center in a pinch, technically. But I can certainly understand the hesitation from anyone else's end in acquiring him.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
This will be popular:

Desharnais ($1.25 million retained)

for

Brandon Manning

original.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad