Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Then pick at the time likely ranges around #100, so it was what is was.

Colorado had priority in the waiver wire and they took Patrick nemeth from Dallas, a Dman. So, very legit chance they pick up pouliot. Nemeth was a 2nd rounder, about #42 back in 2011.

Quite possible, though if Colorado had taken Pouliot, we probably would've been in a position to snag Nemeth for ourselves (seems unlikely the Avs would've taken two defensemen off waivers). And would we really be any worse off?

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thought Pouliot was arguably the Canucks best d-man last night.....some slick outlet passes in his own zone and so close to scoring his first goal as a Canuck....when Edler and Stecher are back, Green has some decisions to make. I don't see how they can take Pouliot out of the lineup...he's clearly better than either Edler or Stecher in anchoring on the pp units.....looking like a solid pickup for Jimbo.

Reactions: Nomobo

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Thought Pouliot was arguably the Canucks best d-man last night.....some slick outlet passes in his own zone and so close to scoring his first goal as a Canuck....when Edler and Stecher are back, Green has some decisions to make. I don't see how they can take Pouliot out of the lineup...he's clearly better than either Edler or Stecher in anchoring on the pp units.....looking like a solid pickup for Jimbo.
Agreed...He has good vision on the ice,and is steady...He's still prone to a few bad reads a game,but so are the rest of the Canuck D....Hopefully he can keep it up..Obviously,Green has confidence in Pouliot.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
He has so much confidence in him he double shifted the other two pairings at one point and only deployed him on one side of the ice

This is knowing someone's weakness, not having confidence in him.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He is really starting to come alive, I feel like he's going to have a Baertschi type of resurgence.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Agreed...He has good vision on the ice,and is steady...He's still prone to a few bad reads a game,but so are the rest of the Canuck D....Hopefully he can keep it up..Obviously,Green has confidence in Pouliot.

I'm not sure if he has confidence just yet, but he seems to be trying to build him up. I'm happy with the player we got for basically a 4th round pick. No complaints so far, he has warts in his game that need to be ironed out however it is nice to have him be able to take a regular shift.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Claude Giroux I think was slightly higher ranked and more popular choice among Canucks fans at the time.
I wasn't to thrilled about the performance of our Ontario & Quebec scouts either during this period.

Good thing I think Benning cleaned up much of this department when he came aboard.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
From todays Province..
BEST SILENT KILLER
Derek Pouliot continues to impress with his subtle game.
He’s not going to “wow” you like DJ MDZ. Hell, we don’t even know if he has an iTunes account.
But he has been playing some very steady hockey as of late.
According to Darryl Keeping’s zone exit stats, Pouliot was by far the best d-man at getting the puck out of his own zone in a controlled manner tonight.
His controlled exits hit 80 per cent on the night. Next closest d-man to him? You’d probably be shocked to hear it was Gudbranson at 58 per cent, but it was.
The Canucks have rolled the dice over the years on so many reclamation puck-moving d-men only to have it fail, it’s nice to see that one might be working.
Not that Steve McCarthy wasn’t a great player. Or that Cam Barker wasn’t good. Bartkowski got some goals, right?
But something tells me Pouliot is going to have a better career arc in Vancouver than any of those guys.
Might not have as stiff as a chin strap on his helmet as McCarthy.
But having players like Michael Del Zotto and Derek Pouliot in the mix has seemed to make a world of difference for the Canucks.
How often did you see things like this last year by someone not named Stecher?

Reactions: rune74

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He has so much confidence in him he double shifted the other two pairings at one point and only deployed him on one side of the ice

This is knowing someone's weakness, not having confidence in him.

Yeah, the reviews on this player are getting a little out of hand.

He's playing ultra-sheltered #6 minutes, and has had a past few games where he's looked decent and made a good first pass. Which is good. But the coach doesn't even trust him to take a defensive zone faceoff, and it isn't like Yannick Weber didn't stretches on the 3rd pairing here (and in Nashville) where he was doing exactly the same thing.

Someone in the GDT called him a 'poor man's Drew Doughty' which is just nuts.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

He's playing ultra-sheltered #6 minutes, and has had a past few games where he's looked decent and made a good first pass. Which is good. But the coach doesn't even trust him to take a defensive zone faceoff, and it isn't like Yannick Weber didn't stretches on the 3rd pairing here (and in Nashville) where he was doing exactly the same thing.

Agreed, his first pass is by far his best asset

I was starting to feel blind based off the praise Im seeing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i agree there is much overblown praise here. he's nowhere near established himself even as a #6 yet. way too few games played and way too many questions arising from his game. he is simply progressing well.

Reactions: MS

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Well it will take a lot for him to over come the cost factor of that 4th rounder. He has a very large hill to climb in that regarde.

Also, there is that stigma of being a player targeted by Benning.

Also, many were very down on him before he even arrived, that is something he needs to do better for.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol...was re-reading a couple of articles grading the 2012 Entry Draft.....Pittsburgh, which hosted the draft, was given an A+....acquiring the eighth pick and Brandon Sutter from the 'Canes, which they used to select Pouliot.....then with their own pick at #23 selected Oili Maata.....pundits were pumping the tires of GM Ray Shero.....now Shero is in Jersey and Pouliot and Sutter are Canucks.....you just never know.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What a complete and utter steal for a 4th rounder. He has looked better and better every single game, and his last game he looked downright awesome.

Even if somehow it does not work out, for a 4th rounder it was a no brainer.

Reactions: black ace

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
His play may fall back. The thing I dont believe is some cannot bring themselves to say he is playing well. One saying he is a poor skater and has a terrible muffin shot. Neither is true. He did seem to miss his shot a lot in his first games but as his confidence has increased so has his shot. Skating wise he seems fine, very calm stride but he pulls away from checkers with the puck. We should expect bad games as he always makes a play no unloading puck up boards or off the glass. Physically he seems okay as well. Have not seen him dominated. It is fair to say he is average outside his great passing. However that is not an insult as in todays nhl dzone transition is huge. If he is excellent at that while being average at other things that would make him a good dman. It is early days but the praise is deserved.

Very similiar to Sven in that the gm that drafted him was fired shortly after . He had to prove himself to a gm that had basically traded him in the first place. Rutherford traded this pick knowing Pouliot was getting picked by the Pens. Rutherford has won two cups with Pitts a gm so no insult to him but Pouliot was not his pick so he might not have got the same opportunity as most high 1sts get. However it happened I am glad he is here as the dcore needs a lot of help.

Reactions: BrandonL

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
To me it looks like DP was rushed to the NHL prematurely after only half a season in the AHL then never given much of a chance to establish himself by only playing here and there and bouncing back and forth between the AHL and NHL.
He really needs a full season with the same coach/system/teammates to get comfortable and continue his progression rather than jumping back and forth between teams and being in and out of the lineup and trying to keep his head above water when he plays.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It sounds like the issue for the Pens was that they viewed him as an offensive prospect and he simply doesn't appear to have the game to produce points at that level. Good on him for developing a decent defensive game, though. He moves the puck well and has good vision. Just don't see the power play, offensive player that Benning said we were getting after the trade. I'm assuming the Pens saw the same thing.

I don't think it's as much of a loss for Pittsburgh as being made out here. They traded a waiver-eligible depth defenseman that couldn't make their blue line. He likely would have been lost for nothing a week later, so it's actually not a bad move for them.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Can you back it up that he’s playing “ultra sheltered minutes”? I looked at the past three games and he’s #2 in ice time. So does that mean magically every single one of our defenseman are being sheltered lol. Then who isn’t being sheltered?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It sounds like the issue for the Pens was that they viewed him as an offensive prospect and he simply doesn't appear to have the game to produce points at that level. Good on him for developing a decent defensive game, though. He moves the puck well and has good vision. Just don't see the power play, offensive player that Benning said we were getting after the trade. I'm assuming the Pens saw the same thing.

I don't think it's as much of a loss for Pittsburgh as being made out here. They traded a waiver-eligible depth defenseman that couldn't make their blue line. He likely would have been lost for nothing a week later, so it's actually not a bad move for them.
Not sure if anyone is saying this is a big loss for the Pens. They got a pick and even Pedan is useful depth. Waivers exist to make sure players get a chance somewhere waivers forced this move on the Pens. Not big loss for them as he was not going to get another opportunity there.

On another note people should watch Pouliot last hockey fight vs Joe Hicketts. A couple Royals players went after him, he was bleeding got punched in back of head, then out of no where he knocks Hicketts out. Before that fight he was actually in quite a few fights and did pretty good. Interesting that his last fight 4 years ago was a KO on the other guy. I noticed a sens player swing his stick at Pouliot duri g Dorsett fight. Maybe Pouliot has an edge to him that is a bit burried but could come out if he is comfortable.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Can you back it up that he’s playing “ultra sheltered minutes”? I looked at the past three games and he’s #2 in ice time. So does that mean magically every single one of our defenseman are being sheltered lol. Then who isn’t being sheltered?

Doesn't kill penalties, plenty of PP time, 7th out of 8 defensemen in even strength ice time per game, 63% offensive zone starts. Not sure what more you need?

Perhaps over the last couple games he's been less sheltered in games where we got slaughtered, so that's nice.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

He posted that before the injury that forced them not to shelter him

And he's right the praise is way out of hand

Young Drew Dougty :laugh:

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
If we go by depth chart, Pouliot's probably fighting for ice-time with Biega and Gudbransson when the defense is totally healthy. The top five roles are set: Tanev, Edler, Hutton, Stetcher, and Del Zotto won't come out of the lineup for Pouliot.

Green's been switching Pouliot's partner over the past few games, trying to see if he can move up the lineup and whether he can play the right side. Experimenting with his role, seeing if Pouliot can do more. So far, Pouliot's been solid, but hardly spectacular; he hasn't done anything to replace any of the players who already have their roles set. He can beat out Biega and Gudbransson, but that's hardly a given.

In terms of asset management, trading for Pouliot was premature. The Canucks should've gambled getting him on waivers. Perhaps they lose out with another team claiming him before they can, but it's a far more acceptable risk than trading for him, and then possibly losing Biega (or him) on waivers when the defense is finally fully healthy.

Reactions: But Gillis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad