Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Anybody other than me a little surprised the Pens kept Corrado and traded Poulliot?....I realize Corrado is right-hand shot....but drafted far later and a pressbox regular in TO.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Anybody other than me a little surprised the Pens kept Corrado and traded Poulliot?....I realize Corrado is right-hand shot....but drafted far later and a pressbox regular in TO.
Things is, they sent Corrado down knowing he wouldn't be picked up on waivers. With Pouliot, their objective was not to lose him for nothing. I'm sure if they had their way, they would have kept Poulot over Corrado. It was just an asset management thingy.

Actually, come to think of it...Corrado for Pedan would have been a fair trade. The 4th got us Pouliot.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

But they didn't keep Corrado. They waived him before the start of the season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
apparently his corsi is amazing?

Every player getting soft minutes with massive offensive zone starts has amazing corsi.

The top 6 Corsi players on the team are - not coincidentally - the 6 guys getting the highest percentage of offensive zone starts and the overall softest minutes.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
So, let me get this straight.

Good corsi when it's a player you don't like = bad.

Bad corsi when it's a player you don't like = bad.

I thought these advanced stats were supposed to help with objective player analyses.

Reactions: BrandonL

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver

I thought these advanced stats were supposed to help with objective player analyses.

It's a piece to the puzzle, but it really is just a piece. I do; however, completely understand the sentiment of your argument.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Raw corsi always sucks without context.

I've made far more posts here criticizing advanced stats - or at least how most people use them - than I ever have defending them. For someone who remembers every single thing I write, you should probably know that.

Same argument goes for Biega, who I like a lot. Their numbers are hugely influenced by their usage and are essentially meaningless.

When a guy like Tanev is pulling massive raw corsi numbers in the context of his usage, that actually means something.

Reactions: PredsForPresidents

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He is playing well, and he is a better player overall than Biega. Hutton is great on transition carrying the puck out of own end. However, Pouliot is better in the neutral zone and offensive zone. I think Hutton Strecher and Pouliot will compete with each other going forward. Pouliot is a nhl dman with potential. He actually has a good shot and has been playing better defensively. Want to see how he plays without Biega as I think Biega is getting credit for a lot that Pouliot is doing. He probably will never be a pk or shut down d man but 5 on 5 and pp he is useful. It does seem like there are a lot of easy minutes now that he is in the lineup. Who was getting these minutes before? Stecher Hutton why did they not have great Corsi before? He is playing well in the minutes he gets that is all he can do. Good pickup adds to our d depth.

Reactions: Nomobo

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I think he is doing really well for what we paid for him...he is a 5/6 dman who can slot in and isn't out of place. Still makes a few mistakes but I've liked what I have seen so far.

Reactions: BrandonL

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
What encourages me is that his play seems to be improving and his confidence is growing as he gets more games under his belt.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
The 4th round pick thrown in to secure Pouliot instead of hoping he falls to us in waivers was absolutely worth it.

I think at this rate, it's safe to say he's going to be an NHL regular with potential top-4 upside.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Pens fan here, coming in peace.

Pouliot never really got a stretch of games to prove himself with Pittsburgh. He would show some flashes of being good, then make some incredibly bad mistakes and sometimes get taken out of the lineup. His best chance to make the team full time was when they traded for Schultz. The two switched in and out of games and looked somewhat comparable, but Schultz ended up improving much quicker and Pouliot kind of lost favor since then. Most of his games were spot duty when someone got hurt, and even last year with most of the D missing time at some point or another he got surpassed by Chad Ruhwedel.

I have been trying to keep tabs on him for fantasy reasons (In a very deep keeper league), so I'm glad he's been turning it around. Hopefully Vancouver gives him a longer leash and he continues to develop.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I thought he played really well last night. He looks like he is getting more comfortable out there.
I've noticed improved confidence, but also a bit more casualness to his game coming out too. Almost like an overconfidence or trying to appear calm and in control.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Pens fan here, coming in peace.

Pouliot never really got a stretch of games to prove himself with Pittsburgh. He would show some flashes of being good, then make some incredibly bad mistakes and sometimes get taken out of the lineup. His best chance to make the team full time was when they traded for Schultz. The two switched in and out of games and looked somewhat comparable, but Schultz ended up improving much quicker and Pouliot kind of lost favor since then. Most of his games were spot duty when someone got hurt, and even last year with most of the D missing time at some point or another he got surpassed by Chad Ruhwedel.

I have been trying to keep tabs on him for fantasy reasons (In a very deep keeper league), so I'm glad he's been turning it around. Hopefully Vancouver gives him a longer leash and he continues to develop.

when he got here he played like a rescue dog used to being yelled at and kept on a very short leash. his skating was also slow.

he's gradually shown us his game, which i have mixed thoughts on. defensively i don't quite know how he stays in position as much as he does, but he does. overall,
in the last few games he has started to look faster, quite poised with the puck and his shot attempts have continuously improved. otoh, he still doesn't seem fast enough to pinch down low the way he does, and he likes to dangle in tight in a way that is risky even for forwards. that and he does make bad turnover or coverage mistakes in his zone at a rate of about one a game, but has not been burned yet.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Pouliot is doing a great job of proving a lot of the anti-anythingBenningDoes posters wrong. He's not perfect, but he's doing a lot better than those posters said he would do. And he's also showing that he's learning and getting better each game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The 4th round pick thrown in to secure Pouliot instead of hoping he falls to us in waivers was absolutely worth it.

I think at this rate, it's safe to say he's going to be an NHL regular with potential top-4 upside.
Then pick at the time likely ranges around #100, so it was what is was.

Colorado had priority in the waiver wire and they took Patrick nemeth from Dallas, a Dman. So, very legit chance they pick up pouliot. Nemeth was a 2nd rounder, about #42 back in 2011.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Pouliot is doing a great job of proving a lot of the anti-anythingBenningDoes posters wrong. He's not perfect, but he's doing a lot better than those posters said he would do. And he's also showing that he's learning and getting better each game.
meh, Ron Delorme scouted Michael Grabner. Does that disprove the premise that one wouldn't want him in a high ranking capacity as a scout?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
meh, Ron Delorme scouted Michael Grabner. Does that disprove the premise that one wouldn't want him in a high ranking capacity as a scout?

Claude Giroux I think was slightly higher ranked and more popular choice among Canucks fans at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad